It’s time you tried a breakfast baked potato! It’s easy! Simply stuff a spud like you would a fluffy omelette (complete with scrambled or a fried egg on top!) and brunch like a champion!
Topping Ideas for Breakfast Potatoes
This is your chance to be creative and add anything you have in the fridge!
I practically live off beans so there are always black beans in my fridge for potato toppage. Avocados or leftover guacamole are great as is shredded cheese and even some fresh spinach. Have fun with it!
- black beans
- grated cheese
- pico de gallo
- diced or sliced avocado
- veggie bacon bits
- crumbled veggie “sausage”
- sautéed veggies (onion, pepper, etc…)
- leftover roasted vegetables
- fresh or wilted spinach
- raw or pickled red onion
- cilantro or scallions
Healthy Vegetarian Breakfast Baked Potato
When I posted this bad boy on instagram last week I dubbed it “Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Burrito… minus the burrito”
Relevent? Yes. Wordy? Obnoxiously so!
So let’s just call it a Breakfast Baked Potato. Deal?
I’m pretty sure no matter what you call it it would still rock your plate sooooo before I turn this quickie post into a full length novel, let’s get on with the show!
Breakfast Baked Potato
- Wash and dry a russet potato. Pierce a few times (in different spots) with a fork or knife. Cook via microwave for a speedy breakfast or you can plan ahead and bake the potato while you make coffee.
- Once your spud is hot and fluffy, splice vertically.
- While your potato cooked scramble up an egg or two or pan-fry sunny side up – whichever method you love!
- Season egg(s) with salt and pepper and place at the center of your potato.
- Next add your toppings! Have fun with it and mix and match your favorites. I like to add black beans, jalapeno, salsa and a dollop of sour cream or greek yogurt.
Ooh! and I highly suggest trying this with fresh salsa.
I could probably dip a plain baked potato in salsa and call it a day.
(a really delicious day)
Whether you make this for breakfast, brunch, or the ever-fabulous brinner, it’s sure to rock.
If you get a chance to try this baller breakfast baked potato, let me know! Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
more breakfast favorites
Hungry for more? Here are some of our fav breakfast recipes from the blog archives:
Tropical Mango Kale Smoothie – this breakfast smoothie makes use of antioxidant-rich kale along with kiwi, pineapple, and mango for a rockin’ green smoothie with fruity tropical flavor
Breakfast Wonton Egg Cups – NEW! These crispy little wonton cups are loaded with eggs, veggies, and cheese for a complete breakfast in every bite!
Healthy Breakfast Salad – paleo and whole30 compliant (woot!) and features crispy sweet potato hash and seasoned fried eggs – so good!
Veggie Breakfast Burritos – we make these a LOT and they’re totally meal prep friendly and freezer-friendly too!