These red velvet cake cookies are loaded with white chocolate and perfect for holiday gifts and cookie exchanges! These cake-mix cookies are so easy to make!
Red Velvet Cake Cookies
One of my Florida State besties (Hi Amanda!!!) sent me a little Christmas cookie lovin’ this year and introduced me to the wonderful world of red velvet cookies.
HOLY COOKIES BATMAN!
I didn’t know these were a thing but I’m oh so glad I now know just how awesome these bad boys are!
Her recipe seemed entirely too easy to be true, so I grabbed a box of cake mix and dragged my baking-challenged butt into the kitchen to whip up a batch. Here’s my version of the recipe!
Red Velvet Cake Cookies
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (use only 1/2 cup if you want them a little sweeter!)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1.5-2 cups white chocolate chips
- 1.5 sticks of butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- Leave butter out to soften and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Once softened, beat with a hand-mixer until fluffy.
- Next, slowly add flour and cake mix until incorporated.
- Add your egg and mix completely.
- Fold in white chocolate and roll dough into 1 inch balls.
- Place on a bare cookie sheet and bake for approx 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
- Fluffing these up with applesauce has the potential to make cakey, whoopie pie-like cookies that would taste awesome sandwiched with some frosting in the middle. YUM!
So… how were they!?
True story: I didn’t expect these to be edible based on my train wreck baking skills. So when every time I turned around P had a cookie in his mouth, hand, and/or pocket… I took it as a sign that I indeed actually baked a cookie. A damn good cookie at that! Though it was a total shortcut cookie, I’m still counting this as a win! My goal is to eventually be baking savvy enough to make natural, from-scratch breads, cookies, and such for gifting and parties and so forth.
Though I don’t mind being the veggie girl at parties and pot-lucks. If there’s one thing everyone needs more of , it’s veggies!
Though Paul insists that he needs more cookies.
All. The. Cookies.
more great for gifting holiday treats:
- White Chocolate Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti
- Peppermint Bark Granola
- Chocolate Cranberry Phyllo Cups
- Snowflake Peppermint Bark
- NEW! Oreo Balls
- Chocolate Brownie Crinkle Cookes – LOVE THESE SO!
If you get a chance to try these red velvet cake cookies, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation.