This decadent Triple Chocolate Banana Zucchini Bread is bursting with chocolate in every bite! It’s so good you’ll forget you added fruit and veggies to this luxe loaf.
That satisfied “AHHHHH” we often sigh when cracking an ice cold beer at the end of a hectic day/week or while sipping icy tea on a hot day?
That’s the same sound my toddler makes when she wakes up, ready to take over the world.
I’m equal parts impressed and terrified each time I hear it.
It’s the same sigh I let out each time my darling threenager (who adorably insists on helping me test any and all recipes for this blog) squeaks “Momma we add chocolate?”
Be still my heart. Yes. The answer is always and forever yes.
So of course, when I set out to bake banana bread with the last of the spotty bananas I was greeted with my chickpea holding a bag of chocolate chips.
My first thought was “Wait… how did you reach those?!” while my second was an eager “YES!”
Chocolate chips are always a welcome addition in my banana bread. While I was at it, I snagged the cocoa powder, avocado oil, and some zucchini for good measure.
Don’t look at me like that. Zucchini is positively *perfect* in this chocolate trifecta!
Back when I had enough self control to keep a box of cake mix in my pantry (those days are long gone) I used to make this amazing Chocolate Pumpkin Zucchini Bread recipe on the regular. Though the photos were atrocious (seriously so embarrassing!) the results were delicious! In fact many of my friends still make it on the regular, sending me photos of their chocolate creations.
I’m happy to say that the ultra luxe, triple chocolate loaf I’m sharing with you today has all the deliciousness of that original recipe, minus the box-o-cake and pumpkin. After making pumpkin burgers and muffins galore the second Fall hit, I am seriously pumpkin’d out y’all! I need a break.
Banana bread to the rescue!
With chocolate. #alwayschocolate
Triple Chocolate Banana Zucchini Bread
A luscious trio of chocolate makes this banana zucchini bread totally crave-worthy. Snag a spotty banana or two and meet me in the kitchen for some epic dessert bread!
Triple Chocolate Banana Zucchini Bread
Yield 1 loaf
- 3/4 cup shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 + 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (180 grams)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 or 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 or 1/3 cup chocolate chips (dark or semi-sweet)
- 3 oz chocolate chips
- 1/4-1/2 tsp coconut oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
- If you haven't already, use the coarse side of a cheese grater to shred your zucchini. Measure out 3/4 cup and, using a cloth dish towel, wring out the extra moisture from the squash. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs then add in sugar and oil.
- Add bananas and mix well.
- Combine your flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir flour mixture into egg mixture.
- Fold in in zucchini, nuts, and chocolate chips until just until combined.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. by 5-in. loaf pan . Bake at 350°F for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Times will vary by altitude and oven temperament. Cool for 10 minutes
- Remove bread from pan to wire rack and cool completely.
- For chocolate drizzle, melt your chocolate and coconut oil in 15-second increments in the microwave, until melted, stirring between each. Drizzle over bread with a spoon.
- Slice. Serve. Faceplant.
See post below for special diet swaps.
Tightly wrap any leftovers, this bread is great the next day! Leftovers will keep up to 4 days at room temperature and may be frozen. Enjoy!
Yields 10-16 slices.
This Triple Chocolate Banana Zucchini Bread recipe was adapted from Taste of Home’s Banana Zucchini Bread.
special diets + swaps
- Vegan friends! I’ve made this bread with flax eggs and it’s awesome! Follow the steps here and make two flax eggs (or chia eggs) to sub for the large eggs in the recipe above.
- Gluten- Free? If you have a GF flour blend (homemade or store bought) that you use for banana breads and other quickbreads without fail, then absolutely try it with this recipe!
- No avocado oil? No problem! You can use extra light olive oil, canola oil, or even vegetable oil if that’s what you have on hand. Coconut oil (melted and cooled) would probably work great too!
Triple Chocolate Banana Zucchini Bread Tips + Tricks
When it comes to banana bread, the riper your banana are – the better! Snag the spottiest bananas you can find or tuck this recipe away for when you have some handy.
Looking to use up more than one lone spotty banana? No problem! This recipe is easily doubled to yield two 9×5 loaves. That way you’ll have one to keep and one to gift. Or freeze one for later!
Lacking the proper sized pan? I’ve actually baked this bread in an 8×4 inch loaf pan and, though the bread was sky-high, it still worked marvelously! The photos for this post were actually taken of the 8×4 loaf if you’d like to get a peek at the rise. You’ll need a few extra minutes of bake time but can start checking the loaf at the 55 minute mark. You can even use three of these mini loaf pans, dividing the batter between each. Bake times will be decreased drastically for minis so check the bread after the 20 minute mark until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
hungry for more?
- Pumpkin Spice Streusel Muffins
- Cranberry Bliss Baklava Bites
- Salted Chocolate Caramel Bars
- Key Lime Pie Pancakes
Always free; always delicious.