This California Veggie Sandwich is my favorite! The trick to making this vegetarian sandwich downright irresistible is the homemade spinach dip spread! You’re going to LOVE it!
There once was a sandwich.
It changed my life.
Um… this is a food blog after all, perhaps I should elaborate?
Nah. This sandwich needs very little introduction. It’s a restaurant copycat a’la the fabulous Fresh Market that I essentially lived off of while my eggo was preggo. Now that Spring and Summer are in the air again I shall eat no less than five zillion of these until the next polar vortex is upon us. You should follow suit.
It’ll change your sandwich game for the better.
Since this is more of a meal idea and less of a recipe I’m going to skip the measurements and just offer up a few yummy suggestions. My thought is that if I have to meticulously and painstakingly measure out ingredients for my lunch then I’m clearly doing something wrong. Let’s do lunch!
California Veggie Sandwich:
Who needs mayo when you have spinach dip!? You can snag a store-bought variety or save yourself some dough and make your own! Here’s my go-to recipe for a fantastic chilled spinach dip:
If you don’t mind a few extra steps, I highly suggest grating extra vegetables into the dip. I typically use a box grater to shred half a cucumber and half a zucchini into the dip, plus some chopped broccoli florets too!
Thaw spinach, squeeze out the water with a handful of paper towels, combine all ingredients, and chill for a minimum of 2 hours to lock in the flavor and properly hydrate the dried vegetables! Throw it together any time you have a few minutes to spare and enjoy it as a sandwich spread and dip for veggies all week long! It will stay fresh in the fridge for at least four days. If you wind up adding oodles of extra vegetables like I do, feel free to add a bit of extra mayo/yogurt to the dip to keep the spread creamy!
Looking for a vegan option? Use your favorite vegan sandwich spread to make the dip or simply swap the spinach dip for guacamole or your favorite hummus! With all the fun varieties [everything from roasted red pepper to edamame] the flavor combinations are endless!
step 2: choose your carb
step 3: veg it up!
This is where you essentially empty out your crisper drawer and pile on all. the. veggies. Thinly slice carrots, bell peppers, avocado, cucumber, and tomatoes and pile on your favorite lettuce and sprouts.
Feeling particularly carnivorous? No judgement here! Whether you beeline for sliced turkey or crispy bacon, have at it! Though trust me, it’s beyond magical with the veggies and spread alone! Save the bacon for dinner and go veggie for lunch!
step 4: faceplant
To whip this up in record time, plan ahead by making the spread and slicing your veggies in advance, then store them tightly wrapped in your fridge. When it’s time to eat, all you’ll have to do is assemble and annihilate your yummy sandwich!
Need a printable version? I’ve got your back!
This sandwich makes a perfect portable lunch, so whip one up for work or pack it along in your kiddo’s lunch! The spread + veggie combo also makes a fantastic wrap! Have fun with it!
California Veggie Sandwich: Fresh Market Copycat
- 2-6 slices of fresh bakery bread
- any and all of the fresh veggies in your crisper [see below]
- a few TBSP fresh spinach dip [homemade or store bought] per sandwich
- SIMPLE CHILLED SPINACH DIP:
- 9oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 packet of dried vegetable recipe mix
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup high quality mayo [or a second cup of yogurt]
- 3 stems of green onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- THE VEGGIES:
- colorful bell peppers, sliced thin
- fresh greens like romaine, butter, or bibb lettuce
- carrots [grated thin or sliced into ribbons with a peeler]
- thinly sliced cucumbers
- red or white onions
- fresh sliced avocado
- sliced tomato
- choose all your favorites from the list above for a custom cali sandwich that's sure to rock your socks!
- Spread a hearty layer of spinach dip on each slice of bread, pile on the vegetables and enjoy!
- To whip this up in record time, plan ahead by making the spread and slicing your veggies in advance, then store them tightly wrapped in your fridge. When it's time to eat, all you'll have to do is assemble and annihilate your yummy sandwich!