Whole Food’s Vegan Garlic-Massaged Kale Salad… It’s a bit heavenly. It’s also really hard to get off your mind once you get it in your head that you HAVE to have it. And with my pasta salad obsession in full force, it was only a matter of time before I started venturing into the world of faux-ta salad. Is that not a thing? It is now. Faux pasta salad. It’s what’s for lunch!
Ok fine, it’s just a salad. But it’s a darn good one! It’s also vegan, gluten-free, ridiculously healthy and fan-freaking-tastic. The buttery olive oil, zesty garlic and smoky chipotle keep me coming back for more!
Garlicky Kale Salad with Smoky Chipotle Dressing
Yield 4 servings
- one large bunch of kale, torn + stems removed [pshh.. measurements schmesherments]
- 1-2 cups of chopped veggies [I used organic cucumber + cherry tomatoes]
- the dressing:
- 2-3 heaping tablespoons of chipotle extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 4 cloves of garlic, smashed and minced
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- additional salt, pepper and garlic powder, to taste
- Feel free to top it with a sprinkle of your favorite healthy salad toppers! Right now I'm loving toasted sesame seeds and shelled hemp seeds.
- It's a salad. It's easy. Make it.
- Simply whisk together your dressing ingredients and, using your digits, massage it into chopped/torn kale leaves.
- I add the dressing in increments, pouring a little over the bowl of kale and massaging it into the leaves. Yes you're getting intimate with something you're eventually going to be eating. Yes it's awesome.
- Add in your chopped veggies and dig in immediately or pop it in the refrigerator for later.
- It'll keep for around 4-5 days and, because kale is a rather sturdy green, can be enjoyed all week long without getting soggy. Pretty awesome, eh? If you wind up with extra dressing [I had a little!] save it to drizzle over leftovers!
You can find infused olive oils like the smoky chipotle one I use in this recipe in a number of different locations. Larger grocery stores like Publix, Harris Teeter, Whole Foods and Fresh Market all have a bevvy of infused oils to choose from. Olive oil bars [LOVE these!] will also carry them, as well as many online retailers. Large international stores are a great place to look too!
You can even infuse your own extra olive oil by adding herbs and spices. Simply add a chipotle seasoning blend, add a little crushed red pepper, and even some smoked paprika and whisk together to infuse the flavor. The longer it sits the more the flavor should intensity and you can add/adjust based on personal preference. Hope this helps! I buy my oils from a Wilmington olive oil and baslsamic vinegar bar called Taste the Olive and also infuse my own at home.
One of the best parts of this salad is that you can make it ahead of time [dressing and all!] and it will keep in the fridge for around 4-5 days! Assuming it lasts that long 😉 It’s a perfect addition to on-the-go lunches or just to help cut down on mealtime prep at home.
so… how was it? Flipping delicious! This recipe makes enough for 4 side salads or two larger salads. Or if you’re really hungry you can plow through the enire bowl in a sitting. I won’t tell.
This zesty salad is flavorful enough to enjoy on it’s own and absolutely amazing paired with pretty much anything you can dream up! It makes a fabulous side dish for veggie burgers, pizza, paninis, and even compliments a good old fashioned cheesy veggie quesadilla!
SO GOOD! <3
Ooh! And while you’re at the store buying kale… grab an extra bunch of the leafy greens and make a big batch of Cayenne Kale Chips to snack on. Love them so!