This simple, speedy Lemon Arugula Salad is requires only a few simple ingredients and less than 10 minutes to make! I love serving it up as a vibrant veggie side to pair with veggie burgers, sandwiches, and pasta dishes.
Lately I’ve been giving the kale a break and buying bunches of fresh baby arugula for my salads.
If you’re new to the veggie, Arugula is a super versatile leafy green with a slightly peppery and nutty flavor. It’s fantastic base for salads (the texture is just divine!) and also makes a delightful pesto, sandwich topper, pizza topper, and so much more! I adore it in warm grain bowls!
If you haven’t given this leafy green goodness a chance yet, now is the time!
I’ll help you get started with this easy peasy, super simple lemon arugula salad recipe. Let’s do this!
Lemon Arugula Salad Ingredients
- fresh arugula
- extra virgin olive oil
- freshly squeezed lemon juice (skip the bottled stuff for this salad)
- sea salt
- black pepper
- shaved parmesan cheese
Q: Can I add anything else to this salad?
You can absolutely add any extras your heart desires! Delicious options include toasted walnuts, sliced toasted almonds, fresh chopped tomato or halved cherry tomatoes, chickpeas (roasted until crispy or plain) and even toasted breadcrumbs. Have fun with it and let your taste buds be your guide!
In addition to lemon, arugula also pairs well with other citrus fruits, such as grapefruit or orange, to enhance its natural peppery taste. Mixing arugula with milder greens like spinach or massaged kale can be a great way to balance its flavor.
How to Make this Speedy + Simple Salad
I adore how easy it is to throw together! Here’s a little rundown of how to make this scrumptious lemon-kissed arugula salad in three easy steps:
Step 1: Wash and Dry Arugula
Use pre-washed arugula or rinse well, using a salad spinner or paper towels to dry the leaves.
Step 2: Combine Ingredients
Add arugula to a large serving bowl and drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss/mix to distribute the ingredients. Ensure even coating for a balanced flavor in every bite.
Step 3: Garnish and Serve
Use a vegetable peeler or a box grater to shave thin pieces of a quality Parmesan cheese. Add on top of the salad and serve. Additional salt and pepper may be added, to taste.
Ready to dive into this stellar side salad recipe?
Here’s the printable recipe card!
If you get a chance to try this lemon arugula salad, let me know! You can leave me a comment here (LOVE checking those daily!) or tag @PEASandCRAYONS on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creations. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
Lemon Arugula Salad
- 5 ounces arugula (I like using baby arugula)
- ½ lemon (freshly juiced)
- 3 TBSP quality extra virgin olive oil (one you enjoy the taste of)
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- ⅛ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese to taste
- Wash and dry arugula. Use pre-washed arugula or rinse well, using a salad spinner or paper towels to dry the leaves.
- Add arugula to a large serving bowl and drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss/mix to distribute the ingredients. Ensure even coating for a balanced flavor in every bite.
- Use a vegetable peeler or a box grater to shave thin pieces of parmon top of the salad. Start with ⅓-½ cup and add extra to taste.
- Toss and serve. Additional salt and pepper may be added, to taste.