These vegetarian Black Bean and Sweet Potato Mexican Quinoa Bowls feature a medley of healthy veggies, hearty beans, and a totally tasty Chili Lime Dressing!
These beautiful Buddha bowls are deeeeelicious!
I have a weak spot for grain bowls; especially quinoa bowls. So much healthy goodness can be packed into one bowl and they’re a great way to use up a variety of pantry and fridge staples.
The combination of fluffy whole grains, vibrant veggies, and hearty beans is filling and flavorful, making them a fantastic plant-based option whether your vegan, vegetarian, or simply trying to scarf more veggies on a regular basis.
As a tasty bonus, these gorgeous grain bowls are gluten-free too!
These Mexican Quinoa Bowls have a a taco night smorgasbord sort of vibe and feature a medley of peppers, tomatoes, jalapeños, black beans, sweet potato, corn, cilantro, and onion.
The Chili lime dressing is straight up legendary, so feel free to double the recipe and add extra to your bowl.
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Mexican Quinoa Bowls
This rocking’ recipe yields two loaded quinoa bowls. Need to serve 4 instead? Simply double the recipe and you’re good to go!
I always scarf this as a vegetarian main dish but if you’d like to whip it up as a side dish for taco night the below recipe will yield 4 side dish sized helpings.
Have a question? Shoot me a comment below and I’d be happy to help! xo
Mexican Quinoa Bowls with Black Beans and Sweet Potato
- 1/2 pound sweet potato (approx. 2 cups peeled and cubed)
- 1 TBSP avocado oil or olive oil
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cayennne pepper
- ½ cup dry quinoa
- ¾ cups water
- ½-1 cup black beans (drained + rinsed)
- ½ cup chopped bell pepper (any color)
- ½ cup corn
- ½ cup chopped tomato
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion (red or white)
- 1 jalapeño
- 2-3 TBSP fresh chopped cilantro or scallions (or both!)
CHILI LIME DRESSING
- 2 TBSP avocado oil
- 1 TBSP fresh lime juice
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp cumin
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Peel and dice your sweet potato into 1/2-inch cubes. Decide if you'd prefer them roasted or cooked in a skillet.
- For skillet sweet potatoes, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add your oil. Once hot, sauté sweet potato cubes until golden and tender, stirring every few minutes for even browning, approx. 15-20 minutes. Season with chili powder, cumin, salt and cayenne and mix well.
- For roasted sweet potato, preheat oven to 400°F and toss cubed sweet potato in a bowl with oil and spices. Roast on a parchment/foil lined baking sheet for 25-30 minutes or until tender.
- While the sweet potatoes cook you’ll be able to whip up the rest of the dish!
- Next make the quinoa. Rinse and drain your quinoa using a mesh strainer or sieve. Bring a small pot to medium heat and lightly toast the quinoa to remove any excess water. Stir as it toasts for just a few minutes. This step is optional but really adds to the nuttiness and fluff factor of the quinoa! Next add your water, set burner to high, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered with the lid slightly ajar, for approx. 12 minutes or until quinoa is fluffy and the liquid has been absorbed.
- While the quinoa cooks, prep the remaining ingredients.
- To make the Chili Lime Dressing, combine avocado oil, lime juice, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk to combine. The measuremtns above are for a lightly dressed quinoa bowl. Love a good dressing? Simply double the recipe and add as much as your heart desires!
- Chop and measure out the remaining veggies.
- Once your quinoa is ready, fluff with a fork and allow to slightly cool. Mix in dressing and divide into bowls. Top with your veggies and adjust salt/pepper to taste. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and/or scallions and dive in!
Recipe inspired by Platings and Pairings’ Sweet Potato and Chickpea Buddha Bowls.
No quinoa? No problem! Rice will totally work in place of quinoa and I bet some tender orzo pasta could work as well!
Crazy for Quinoa Bowls?
- Greek Quinoa Bowls
- Healthy Chicken Shawarma Quinoa Bowls
- Roasted Chickpea Quinoa Taco Bowls
- Vegan Quinoa Bowls
If you get a chance to try these Mexican Quinoa Bowls, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!