This delicious vegetarian Mashed Chickpea Salad is fantastic on crackers, sandwich bread, and even as a salad topper!
I seriously never tire of this stuff!
Something downright magical happens when you fork mash (or food processor chop) chickpeas, veggies, spices, mustard, and mayo together.
It’s a similar vibe to whipping up a bowl of chicken salad or tuna salad, but with the added bonus that it’s totally vegetarian friendly and full of heart healthy fiber.
The options are endless!
Special Diets and Swaps
I typically use a combination of mustard and mayo for my mashed chickpea salad but you can also use vegan mayo or hummus to keep things entirely plant based an vegan-friendly.
Greek yogurt and mashed avocado can also make a pretty tasty swap for the mayonnaise if desired. Have fun with it and let your taste buds be your guide!
You can also mix and match the veggies added. This time around I went with scallions, celery, and carrot. Red bell pepper, sprouts, pickles, and onion also make tasty additions.
This recipe features sliced almonds but I have also made this chickpea salad with chopped walnuts, pecans, and even sunflower seeds. All options are delicious!
Chickpea Salad Serving Suggestions
I have no problem eating this mashed chickpea salad straight out of the bowl when the craving strikes, haha!
It’s also stellar in sandwich form as well as deli salad style, scooped on top a bed of leafy greens and veggies. Hellooooo versatility!
Another fun way of serving it is as a spread for crackers. It makes an excellent little make ahead lunch option.
Pack it in a bento box with crackers, veggies + dip, fresh fruit, and/or cheese for a balanced meal.
Mashed Chickpea Salad
Let’s get our garbanzo on!
Mashed Chickpea Salad
- 1 can chickpeas (15 oz)
- 3 stalks green onion or scallions
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 carrot
- 1/4 cup store bought or homemade mayonnaise (vegan or regular) plus any extra to taste
- 1-2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1/8 tsp dried dill
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 TBSP fresh chopped basil
- Drain and rinse your chickpeas and add them to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher until texture appears flaked, almost like tuna salad. You could also skip the arm workout and use a food processor for easy mashed chickpeas. Pulse until mixture appears chopped/flaked.
- Trim ends and finely mince celery. Chop scallions. Peel and grate carrot, then roughly chop to evenly distrubuite bits of tasty carrot throughout the salad.
- Add prepped veggies to the bowl with chickpeas, then add mayo, dijon, yellow mustard, dill, salt, and pepper. Stir well to coat.
- Fold in sliced almonds (or nuts/seeds of choice) and basil (as much or as little as you’d like) then adjust any ingredients to taste. Sometimes I'll add a little extra mayo or even extra veggies/spices to the mix.
- Pile high on bread with all your sandwich fixings or enjoy as a wrap, with crackers, on a salad, or simply dive into the bowl spoon-first – anything goes!
If you get a chance to try this mashed chickpea salad, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation! I can’t wait to see what you whip up!