These BBQ Black Bean Taquitos are filled with barbecue seasoned black beans and lots of melty cheese then topped with barbecue sauce and Cole slaw for the ultimate Tex-Mex faceplant!
Cinco de Mayo is on Taco Tuesday this year and I feel like I’ve been training my whole life for this!
We also maaaaaay or may not be using our daughter’s mini snow cone machine to make the most epic margaritas ever.
Have y’all made taquitos before? They’re essentially rolled tacos that are stuffed with a tasty bend of beans, cheese, and spices and lightly fried to crispy perfection.
I almost always make mine vegetarian style but they can also be made with pork, steak, chicken, or your favorite taco filling.
As a fun bonus, they’re great for dunking in your favorite dips and totally fun to make *and* eat!
BBQ Black Bean Taquitos
These BBQ sauced taquitos were a huge hit! My husband may have stolen way more than his allotted share (grrr!) so next time I make them I’m going to have to hide mine from him!
I like to use a barbecue sauce that’s equal parts smoky and spicy – DELICIOUS! Use whichever is your favorite and have fun with it!
The ultimate counterpart to these barbecue black bean taquitos is a fresh and flavorful slaw! Here are two of our favorite recipes below, or you can use your go-to recipe.
Cilantro Lime Slaw
- 1 cup finely shredded/chopped cabbage** (green, red, or both!)
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1-2 TBSP apple cider vinegar, to taste
- 1 TBSP honey
- 1 lime
- 1/8 tsp salt
- fresh chopped cilantro, to taste
- 1/2 cup finely shredded/chopped red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded lettuce or shredded green cabbage
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 jalapeño pepper (diced or sliced thin)
- 1-2 TBSP homemade or store-bought ranch dressing
- fresh chopped cilantro and/or scallions, to taste
BBQ Black Bean Taquitos
- 1 can black beans (15 oz – drained and rinsed)
- 3-4 TBSP barbecue sauce , plus extra for topping
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1.5 cups grated cheese (pepper jack, cheddar, or mex blend)
- 8 6-7 inch flour tortillas
- 3 TBSP avocado oil or favorite frying oil as needed
- 1/2-1 cup coleslaw for serving
- Drain and rinse your black beans and add barbecue sauce, chili powder, and salt. Coarsely mash with a fork, leaving a mixture of whole and mashed beans.
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat with 1-2 Tablespoons of oil.
- While the skillet heats up, place 2 corn tortillas on a plate and microwave for 10-15 seconds to steam the tortillas and allow easy rolling.
- Add approx 2 TBSP of filling to each tortilla, top with a hearty sprinkle of cheese (I like mine extra cheesy!), and roll tightly. Repeat for remaining tortillas.
- Place in the hot oil, seam side down. Cook 3 at a time on each side until golden and toasty, then transfer to a small stack of dry paper towels. Add extra oil, as needed to the skillet for remaining taquitos.
- Serve while hot with an extra drizzle of bbq sauce on top (optional but tasty) and coleslaw. Ranch or blue cheese dressing make a great optional dip or you can top your taquitos with a drizzle of sour cream too!
If you get a chance to try these BBQ Back Bean Taquitos, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
More Tasty Taquito Recipes:
For a more traditional taquito, you’ve GOT to try my Homemade Vegetarian Taquitos. They’re filled with a mix of black beans, refried beans, cheeses and spices and taste AMAZING dunked in salsa or guac.
My ultra popular Black Bean and Sweet Potato Flautas are a lot like a baked taquito and have tons of rave reviews! You can use gluten-free corn tortillas or flour tortillas if preferred. They’re great both ways.
Ooh! Also! The Pulled Pork Taquitos from Miss in the Kitchen look amazing for all my T-Rex friends.