Let’s kick off Summer with this festive Berry Trifle featuring layers of fluffy pound cake, sweet vanilla pudding, and homemade whipped cream, with juicy strawberries and blueberries.
Trifles are one of those classic desserts that never really go out of style.
They can be as easy (frozen pound cake!) or as complicated (scratch made everything!) as you’d like.
You can spend all day lovingly baking your grandma’s famous pound cake, hand-whipping whipped cream, and delicately whisking a scratch-made vanilla pudding…
Or you can snag a package of Sara Lee butter pound cake, a few packages of premade vanilla pudding, and a package of cool whip and call it a day.
Both options are honestly quite delicious so find what fits your skill and schedule and run with it!
For the last decade or so I’ve always opted for the easy way out. I’m talking cool whip, packaged pudding, and Sara Lee pound cake. It’s how my mom made trifles growing up and they instantly transport me back to my childhood.
These days I feel like I’m required to step up my game a little since I’m a food blogger and all.
I adore how easy, affordable, and downright tasty homemade whipped cream is here. SO GOOD! For the pound cake, I use the most divine recipe that can be made in advance and frozen for later – hello convenience!
As for the vanilla pudding though… would you believe I’ve never made my own at home? Someone come hold my hand and teach me how! I’ll pay in pound cake… or tacos!
Red White and Blueberry Berry Trifle
This tasty trifle is perfect for all your Spring and Summer picnics, parties, and potluck shenanigans. It’s also our go-to for the 4th of July celebrations!
We make one every year and, since Independence Day is also my wedding anniversary, it’s an extra special dessert for us. It’s a total bonus that it’s crazy easy to make and the leftovers are a dream come true when breakfast rolls around the next morning.
Breakfast berry trifle FTW! You know it’s gonna be a good day when it starts with cake.
Ooh! And if you haven’t read our ridiculous engagement story yet and are in need of a good laugh at my expense, have at it. Then have some trifle!
Red White and Blueberry Berry Trifle
- 12-16 oz strawberries
- 12 oz fresh blueberries
- 16 oz homemade or store bought pound cake
- 1-2 cups vanilla pudding (can be scratch-made or store-bought)
- 2 cups whipped cream (can be scratch-made or store-bought)
HOMEMADE WHIPPED CREAM
- 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- 4 TBSP powdered sugar (confectioner's sugar)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- If using frozen pound cake, thaw according to package instructions. Cut fresh or thawed pound cake into 1-inch cubes.
- To make the homemade whipped cream, first place the beaters from an electric hand mixer and a large glass or stainless steel bowl in freezer. Keep cream in the fridge until ready to whip. While they chill (10-15 minutes) clean and prep berries.
- Once the beaters/bowl have chilled, add cold heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract to your bowl. Start mixing on low speed, increasing the speed to medium-high until soft or stiff peaks form.
- Let's get our trifle on! Add some cake to the bottom of a bowl or trifle dish. Top with alternating layers of pudding, whipped cream, and fuit. Repeat layers and top with a final dollop of whipped cream and sprinkling of berries. Serve immediately or store covered in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Hungry for More?
Use up all those scrumptious seasonal berries by making a big bowl of Blueberry Spinach Salad with Lemon Poppyseed Dressingor some tasty Strawberry Salsa to top all your taco night favorites.
Freezing them for later? Frozen berries are amazing in everything from smoothies to Blueberry Baked Oatmeal <– SO GOOD!
If you get a chance to try this patriotic berry trifle recipe, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation! I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
Made this with homemade whipped cream and it was ah-maz-ing, a big hit!
Yay! I’m so glad you enjoyed it! This dessert is my summer staple! xoxo
You had me at dessert LOL. I love this festive summer trifle recipe.
RIGHT!? So good! Thanks Sandi
Can you believe I’ve never eaten a trifle? I’m not sure where it’s been my whole life! This looks so delicious and perfect for summer!!
Girrrrl it’s time! Get your trifle on! xoxo