Shrimp Panzanella Salad is a tasty twist on the classic Tuscan bread salad. It’s light, healthy, and totally delicious!
My love affair with panzanella has gotten out of control.
I’d like to claim it’s due to the fresh flavors, amazing texture, and overall awesomeness of my salad game this summer but the real reason I keep making these baller bread salads is a bit lame. It’s because we’re swimming in stale bread!
I’m pretty much infamous for picking up a fresh loaf of ciabatta or sourdough from the bakery and then completely forgetting it exists.
How on earth could a carb loving food blogger FORGET about fluffy, amazing bakery fresh bread, you ask?
Easy! I set the bread on the counter, think of nothing but grilled cheese sandwiches morning noon and night, make a gosh darn grilled cheese, happy dance around the kitchen, then hide the bread behind the cereal box in the pantry so I don’t scarf no less than 8 grilled cheese sandwiches in a 3-day period.
This is pretty much how it goes every single time, so naturally we’ve been eating a lot of panzanella salads.
Shrimp panzanella salads to be exact! YUM!
Shrimp Panzanella Salad
This scrumptious spinach salad features juicy shrimp, toasted ciabatta bread, fresh veggies, and an ultra simple dressing that can be made with just 3 simple ingredients: extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, and garlic. Toss a little salt and pepper into the mix for good measure and you have a super simple shrimp salad that’s full of flavor!
Panzanella salad isn’t traditionally made with shrimp but OH MAN is it good! Hope y’all get to try this fun twist on the classic!
Shrimp Panzanella Salad
- 1/2 English cucumber
- 1/4 red onion
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 2-3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1-2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 slices day-old bread (ciabatta, Italian, sourdough, etc…)
- 1.5 tsp butter or oil, for sautéing
- 8 oz raw shrimp (fresh or defrosted from frozen)
- salt and pepper to taste
EASY PEASY DRESSING:
- 3 TBSP quality extra virgin olive oil (plus extra for drizzling)
- 2 TBSP red wine or white wine vinegar
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- fresh basil
- sliced avocado
- Pre-heat your oven or toaster oven to 425 degrees F.
- Chop your tomatoes and thinly slice your red onion and cucumber.
- Whisk together your dressing and add cucumber and onion. Allow to marinate while you prep the salad.
- Line a baking sheet and top with torn pieces of ciabatta bread. Drizzle with of olive oil, toss to coat, and arrange in an even layer. Toast until lightly browned but still soft on the inside, approx. 5-7 minutes.
- Heat a little butter or oil on in a medium skillet one medium-high heat and add your shrimp. Cook shrimp approx. 3 minutes until opaque and pink. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. For plump, cocktail-style shrimp, add a tablespoon or so of water into the skillet while the shrimp cooks.
- Ready to eat? pour your dressing and veggies over the spinach, add toasted bread and tomatoes and toss to coat. Top with shrimp and dig in!
In a pinch you could totally add pasta in place of the bread and make this into a healthy shrimp pasta salad of sorts! How fun would that be?!
I’m pretty sure I need to try it out right now!
:: pin it for later ::
If you get a chance to try this scrumptious Shrimp Panzanella Spinach Salad let me know! You can leave me a comment here (LOVE checking those daily!) or tag @PEASandCRAYONS #PEASANDCRAYONS on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creations! I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
I just love panzanella salad, especially with spinach. I also forget about fresh bread when I buy it so this recipe comes in handy!
Made this the other night and it was a big hit – thank you for the recipe!
Wow, this looks so fresh and delicious. I haven’t made a shrimp salad for so long. Can’t wait to make this. First I need to get the shrimp!
OMG this looks so good it would make great lunch item. I cant wait to try this, will let ya know if
I make it.
Thank you Katie! So excited for you to try it!