Fluffy bakery-style almond blueberry scones with a sweet honey-lemon glaze. Surprisingly simple and speedy, they’re the perfect compliment to your morning coffee or tea.
Sunday mornings are totally made for baking and brunching. My toddler and I will often find ourselves in the kitchen measuring, whisking, and stirring our way to something magical.
Now that I have a little assistant, I actually enjoy baking more than ever before. Though the process does take much much longer, it’s far more enjoyable and a memory I won’t soon forget. Ever the little food blogger, she helps with each recipe from start to finish from prep work to taste testing to photographing and untimatley, faceplantage.
Though she doesn’t do dishes yet. Not cool, chickpea. Not cool.
These delicious almond blueberry scones were a blast to make and even more fun to eat! Ready for the recipe?
Almond Blueberry Scones
Whether you’re brunching it up with family or friends, or simply looking for a delicious treat to pair with your morning caffeine fix, these scones are sure to delight!
These almond blueberry scones are flaky, fluffy, and full of flavor! (I should cool it with the alliteration, eh?) We couldn’t get enough of them! I sent a few to work with the hubs for breakfast and the chickpea and I happily devoured the rest.
During my early days of scone baking, I used to think they couldn’t be made without buttermilk and boy was I wrong! After finally trying them with almond milk a few years ago, I vowed never to bother with buttermilk again. We’ve never been milk drinkers around here and always have a carton or two in the fridge for our cereal. Baking with it has been a total breeze (pun intended!) and our weekend pancakes and scones wouldn’t be the same without them!
Crazy for coconut? Add shredded coconut after glazing for a burst of tropical flavor!
Almond Blueberry Scones
Fluffy, bakery-style almond blueberry scones with a sweet honey-lemon glaze.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 TBSP aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup COLD unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup cold unsweetened almond milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds pre-toasting optional
FOR THE GLAZE:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 TBSP honey
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or grate the butter into the flour using a box/cheese grater.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together your egg, almond milk, vanilla, and almond extract.
- Use a fork to move the flour mixture to the sides of the bowl, making a hole in the middle, then pour the egg mixture into the center.
- Stir until just moistened, then carefully fold/knead in blueberries. Some will remain whole and some may smush into oblivion, blueberries have a mind of their own. At this point the mixture will probably seems fairly dry, which is absolutely what we're going for here! If needed, add a tablespoon of almond milk to moisten until slightly sticky and knead for 3-4 strokes in the bowl to mix.
- Sprinkle a hard surface with flour to prevent sticking and gently knead your dough until smooth, trying not to exceed 12-15 total strokes if possible.
- Grease a baking sheet with oil or butter, then add your dough.
- Shape into a 7 inch circle, top with sliced almonds and press into dough.
- Cut dough into 6 wedges, and nudge each wedge until spaced approx. 1/4 inch apart.
- Bake at 400F for 15-20 minutes, until golden, using a toothpick to test the center.
- While they bake, whisk together your glaze by combining powdered sugar, honey, and fresh lemon juice. Adjust thickness to taste by adding extra powdered sugar.
- Move to a wire rack and drizzle with glaze for a kiss of sweetness. If desired, top glaze with a light sprinkle of coarse turbinado sugar.
- Enjoy! They're fabulous straight from the oven or cooled to room temperature.
- In case you actually wind up with leftovers, wrap tightly with saran wrap and store at room temperature for up to four days. They're great for grab-and-go breakfasts and snacks and can be warmed up in the toaster oven if desired.
If you get a chance to try these Almond Blueberry Scones, let me know! You can leave me a comment here (LOVE checking those daily!) or tag @PEASandCRAYONS on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creations. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
How to make fluffy scones:
Here are some of my favorite tips and tricks for making scones fluffy and fantastic!
1. Don’t over-mix the dough.
The less time your hands are on it, the better.
2. Keep it cold.
Chilly scones are fluffy scones, which is why I stress using cold milk and cold butter in the recipe. You can even freeze your butter before grating it into the flour!
3. Tasty Toppings
Toppings and fillings are beyond customizable when it comes to scones; the sky’s the limit! You can make them sweet or savory, light or indulgent, plain or positively fancy.
4. Speed it up
Scones are super fast to make, but for even speedier scones, whisk together your dry ingredients and store in an airtight container the day/night/week before. When you’re ready to eat, simply cut in your butter and add the wet ingredients via the instructions above. I almost always do this when I’m recipe testing in the morning so I have minimal measuring cups to fuss with.
5. Keep ’em close.
After cutting, arrange your scones fairly close together on your baking sheet, but not touching. I usually space them around 1/4-1/2 inch apart, in the same wheel pattern that I cut them in. I feel like this helps them rise better.
Ohmygosh and the almond extract! YES! If you can score a bottle, please oh please do.
I’ve never used it in my scones before and LOVED the results! The almond extract gave them a biscotti-like taste that pairs oh so fabulously with the fluffy, buttery biscuit texture and was a perfect match for the almond milk and sliced almond combo. Delicious!
scrumptious scone recipes