These easy peasy crab stuffed mushrooms make an awesome holiday appetizer; perfect for your next party!
There are SO MANY parties, potlucks, and gatherings coming up that I’m out of my mind excited!
Many require me to get my booty in the kitchen, which I’m 100% okay with as long as what I’m bringing is quick, easy, and MAKE AHEAD.
Are those not the two most glorious words ever?
I always like to have a few default make ahead recipes for each season that I can whip up the night before when the chickpea is sleeping and simply bake or toss together the following day.
I’ll include a little recipe round up of my favorites at the bottom of this post if you want a few more ideas for your recipe box.
These scrumptious seafood stuffed mushrooms can be made the previous day and baked up to bubbly perfection just before serving.
I’ve employed this technique both when hosting my own little shindig and even when taking goodies to friends houses. Granted you’ll have to commandeer their oven for 20 minutes but chances are, they won’t mind one bit. Especially once they bite into one of these fresh-from-the-oven crab stuffed mushrooms. Just be sure to bring the tray out to the guests before someone camps out in the corner of the kitchen popping mushroom after mushroom in their face.
Oh yes, this has happened multiple times.
I promise not to name names. Y’all know who you are!
what type of crab should I use?
For these crab stuffed mushrooms, I typically grab a package of fresh, chilled lump crab meat from the seafood section of my grocery store. I also like using chilled crab claw meat which is has great flavor.
I’ll usually snag whichever is on sale!
You could even run with the seafood stuffed mushroom vibe and add some chopped sautéed shrimp or cooked salmon to the mix. It’s delicious!
Without further ado, let’s stuff some mushrooms!
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
These EPIC crab stuffed mushrooms always vanish fast! We love them so much I even make them as a side dish with dinner every few weeks. We can’t get enough of this easy mushroom appetizer!
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
- 24 oz button mushrooms (around 25-35 mushrooms)
- ¼ cup minced red bell pepper
- ¼ cup minced celery
- ¼ cup minced yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic smashed + minced
- ½ TBSP butter
- ½ tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp paprika plus extra for topping
- 4 oz fresh crab meat lump or claw
- ½ cup grated gouda cheese plus extra for topping
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Drizzle foil with a little olive oil or use butter for extra oomph.
- I alternate between the two and it’s great either way. Alternatively you can skip the baking sheet altogether and use your favorite cast iron skillet to do the job. Make sure you use a little butter or oil for either option and you’re good to go!
- Remove the stems from your mushrooms and arrange mushrooms on the baking sheet/skillet.
- Finely dice your veggies and, with a ½ TBSP of butter, saute the celery, onion, and red pepper.
- Towards the end, add your garlic and continue to saute until onions and celery are translucent and tender.
- Season with old bay, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper, stir, and pour into a mixing bowl.
- Add your crab and cheese, then mix.
- Depending on preference, you can add the panko to the stuffing mixture along with the crab and cheese or save it as a crispy topping. I love them both ways, choose your favorite!
- Spoon mixture into mushroom caps and sprinkle with paprika.
- Toss your panko breadcrumbs with a little melted butter (or oil) and press gently on top of the filling to overstuff each mushroom.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and panko is golden.
- Grab a fork and attack!
If you get a chance to try these crab stuffed mushrooms, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. Easy appetizers FTW!
You miiiiight want to double the batch.
These scrumptious crab stuffed mushrooms get scarfed FAST!