Hi!!! Let’s play catch up!
Today’s post is brought to you by the letter B.
Blueberries: buckets of them. The berry picking season here in North Carolina is super short so I’ve made it my goal to pick and eat my weight in local blueberries. They’re a little less sweet this year due to a sunshine deficit and that’s exactly how I like them! It’s essentially nature’s version of Sour Patch kids. I’ll freeze some to bake with eventually but for now, they’re entering my face by the fistful!
Baby: How the eff does it grow so fast and how can I make it stop!?
She’s all over the place and chatting up a storm lately. Her new favorite word is “cat” which she squeals at Paul’s ginger kitty all day err day. It’s super babified and sounds a lot more like shes saying “cake…”
Books: I’m anxiously awaiting next week’s release of Ruin and Rising, the third and final installment of Leigh Bardugo’s Shadow and Bone series. The first book was entertaining, the second was AMAZING and the third? I need it. Yesterday. I’m also butt-crazy in love with Allie Brosh’s Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened. It’s essentially my happy place in book form and already has a permanent spot on my nightstand out of sheer necessity. Crap day? All I have to do is read the goose chapter and I’m guaranteed a good pants-wetting belly laugh. I’ll probably end up purchasing the kindle version for travel because simultaneously crying, laughing and, peeing yourself on an airplane is the only way to fly.
Or at least I can hand my iPad off to the poor, unfortunate soul who winds up stuck next to hurricane Mia and I on the plane. She hit a man once. To be fair he gave my hot pink zebra jammie-wearing little gremlin the once over and sneered “HE’S not going to cry the whole flight is HE?” She high-fived him in the face. I had to bite my lip to stifle the laughter. I’m a terrible person.
Beats: I’ve had Vampire Weekend’s Step on repeat lately. I also find myself listening to Turn Down for What no less than 1000000 times a day because it makes the baby squeal, clap and shake her booty and well, I wouldn’t be able to be typing this right now if it weren’t for that song.
Play on playa’.
I’d add the music video to this post but then you’d have to deep-clean your eyeballs. It cannot be unseen. Google at your own risk.
Burpees: I’ve done too many of these bad boys lately. On one hand, I want to throttle whomever came up with this ridiculous exercise but part of me kind of likes the abuse. My core is finally starting to strengthen a bit and I can kick up into a wall handstand which for me is pretty epic. I’ve been practicing for weeks and taken the floor to the face one too many times. Yes this means I’m still sipping slurping chugging the CrossFit kool-aid. I can’t help it; it hurts so good.
Bowls of YUM: Shush, you! I needed a B! Once I start playing the alliteration game I refuse to deviate! I’ve been eating bowl after bowl of cucumber noodles lately. They’re quick, easy, and ridiculously refreshing.
Whether it’s super simple…
or has a bit more pizazz:
Sweet and Sour Cucumber Noodles
:: pin it for later ::
- 3 TBSP fresh lemon juice [or lime!]
- 3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TBSP white vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt [plus extra, to taste]
- 1/8 tsp dill [fresh or dried]
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp fresh minced garlic
- 1/4-1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro, plus extra to garnish
- 2 TBSP honey
- 2 TBSP rice vinegar
- toasted sesame seeds and chia seeds for topping
- Whisk everything but the last three ingredients together and pour over noodles.
- Let them sit at room temperature to soak up all the yummy dressing or pop it in the fridge for later.
- Before serving, whisk together honey and rice vinegar and drizzle heartily over the noodles.
- Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and/or chia seeds and a sprinkle of cilantro or chopped green onion.
- Crushed peanuts or cashews are great too! It's ridiculously easy to customize based on what you have available as well as what you prefer taste/topping-wise! Grab a giant English cucumber, a spiral slicer /veggie peeler, and go nuts!
- Serve at room temperature for maximum flavor.
When I’m feeling fiery I had a little sriracha chili sauce to the dressing. Paul, however, adds a lot… and then runs circles around the room squealing and fanning his mouth. It’s awesome!
What’s one of your B’s lately?
Someone please say beach so I can live vicariously through you.
Better yet: invite me along! I’ll bring snacks!