Sometimes I eff around in the grocery store for hours. Yes, hours. My typical grocery shopping routine is quick and concise thanks to my finely tuned cart-stuffing system [one that involves Iggy the Ipad and my trusty ZipList app] but sometimes… I just want to wander! I recently spent a little extra time playing in the ethnic food aisle [my favorite!] and found myself gawking at all the colorful Indian sauces and fancy packaged meals. When was the last time I made an Indian dish!? It’s been forever right? I glanced at a random pouch of Madras Lentils and decided to play a little game of copycat.
Though this will be my most inventive copycat creation yet, simply because I’ve [a.] never had madras lentils and [b.] glanced at the pouch for a total of 2.5 seconds before getting distracted by something shiny. I’m writing this part of the post before the dish has even been completed but oh. my. gosh. does my kitchen smell amazing! I’ll be back in a little bit with the outcome!
…I’m back! Ahhh! This dish is insane!!!
It was love at first bite. Make it.
Crock-Pot Madras Lentils
- 2 cups of cooked lentils
- 2 cups of canned tomato sauce/puree
- ½ a large onion, finely diced
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed [1 russet or a few yukon gold]
- ½ cup of unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 TBSP butter
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp cumin
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- You're going to laugh at how easy this is:
- Dump EVERYTHING into your slow cooker.
- Set to HIGH for 3.5-4 hours and go about your day/evening without so much as glancing at the pot. Once time is up, taste and add any additional seasonings your taste buds prefer.
- I added an extra pinch of red pepper flakes and was good to go!
- Garnish with a sprinkle of parsley and serve over a bed of fluffy rice, quinoa, or alongside a big green salad!
- Hungry NOW? This dish can also be whipped up on the stove-top in under 30 minutes!
t-rex chefs add chicken, serve this up as a side dish, or go veggie!
vegansaurus chefs simply swap the butter for your favorite vegan variety or use a little bit of olive or coconut oil; easy peasy!
Much like my crockpot black beans, I cook up a big batch of lentils, portion them into 1-2 cup servings and then pop them in the freezer to enjoy all month long! They’re ridiculously simple to cook. The instructions on the bag should tell you sort and rinse the lentils while you bring 6 cups of water to a boil in a pot. Once the water is boiling, add the lentils and reduce to simmer, in about 15-25 minutes you’ll have a pot of lentils to play with! Drain the water from the pot, portion them out and make this recipe! Then make lentil-veggie tacos with the rest!
Garnish with a sprinkle of parsley and serve over a bed of fluffy rice, quinoa, or alongside a big green salad! This dish will also pair marvelously with lamb/beef/poultry if you’re into that sort of thing =)
So pictured above is the blog photo shoot version obviously; my fancy schmantzy attempt to make this delish dish easy on your eyes. But I could never eat such a teeny portion! After all, I thoroughly devoured all 4 servings by myself over the course of two days. Here’s what my plate looked like once the photoshoot was complete, pre-faceplant:
umm… I think I need to make this again; STAT!
I even made a soup version! Score!