You totally already knew this was coming right? I’m on a little bit of quiche kick lately. National egg day is on June 3rd… and I’m simply getting a head start. This has absolutely noooothing to do with the fact that I have been pining over the darn things day and night. I’m simply being practical.
I could come up with a lengthy intro to this post or tell you a story about Pau’s crazy cat and how she ate all the lasagna again like she’s freaking Garfield… but let’s just skip the semantics and get right on down to brunch. Deal? Deal!
Fluffy Asparagus Quiche
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 4 eggs
- 4-6 stalks of asparagus
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/3 - 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese [grab a little extra to garnish!]
- 2/3 cup half and half
- salt and pepper, to taste
- uber easy crust:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup ice cold water
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- First make the crust by mixing the flour and salt with fork.
- In a separate bowl, beat the oil and water with a whisk or fork to thicken.
- Pour into flour and mix gently with a fork. [just until mixed; don't overwork it]
- Divide dough into 4 equal parts and press each flat on a solid surface.
- You'll want to press the dough super thin so it comes out flaky and magical.
- Then press each doughy disc into 4 mini tart pans and season each with a little freshly ground black pepper.
- Making one big quiche instead? Press the dough into a 9-10 inch pie dish.
- Next start on your asparagus.
- Trim the ends and blanch in a thin layer of boiling water for about a minute or so, just long enough to turn the stalks bright green and tender. Immediately plunge the spears in an ice bath or rinse with super cold water to halt the cooking process [no soggy spears here!] Slice the spears into thin diagonal cuts... or pretty much any way you feel like slicing them! Just not super thick.
- Beat the eggs until the yolks and whites are incorporated and add your half and half.
- Add a little salt ad pepper to taste.
- Top the crust with minced garlic, veggies, and feta and pour in egg mixture.
- Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes.
- Crumble a little feta on top and serve.
- If you're feeling feisty, top with a drizzle hot sauce and a barley-there sprinkle of red pepper flakes for an early morning pick-me-up... aka a mondo kick in the tastebuds=) You know you love it!
I freaking love quiche.