Get your cookie fix with these chewy bakery-style chocolate chunk cookies!
You may have noticed by now, but I like my cookies BIG!
I almost exclusively use my 3 TBSP cookie scoop to measure out my dough into palm-sized cookies which are, in my opinion, the perfect portion when you need a big ole cookie in your face.
Anyone else with me?
Of course, you can 100% make these chocolate kissed behemoths in a smaller snackable size if you’re so inclined. After all, that means you get even more cookies out of every batch so… either way it’s a total win!
One of the great things about chocolate chip cookies, is that this classic cookie is easy to make with ingredients we all tend to have on hand!
Chocolate Chunk Cookie Ingredients
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- fine sea salt
- unsalted butter
- light brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- semi-sweet chocolate bars
As a tasty optional extra, you can top freshly baked cookies with a light sprinkle of flaked sea salt. Yum!
I typically grab store brand sugar and flour but when it comes to the chocolate, I love using Ghirardelli brand baking bars.
Cookie Baking Tips
1. Chill your cookie dough
For the most glorious taste and texture, chill your cookie dough in the fridge for 24 hours before baking. The marinated dough is key for achieving that bakery style cookie thickness.
2. Use a scale
A small scale is an inexpensive way to not only guarantee baking accuracy but also save on time and dishes. I don’t need to dirty extra measuring cups this way and know my flour and sugar ratios are always where they need to be for flawless cookies. The one I use in my kitchen is made by OXO and has been my trusty baking buddy for nearly a decade.
No scale? Fluff the flour with a spoon then gently spoon into a measuring cup. Use a butter knife or bowl scraper to scrape the excess so its level with the top edge of the measuring cup. Packing the four into the cup or using the measuring cup to scoop itself full of flour will yield to dry crumbly cookies.
3. Use room temperature ingredients
Soften butter just until you are able to leave a light indentation with your finger, but not so softened that it’s shiny/greasy/melted. Use room temperature eggs as well.
Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies
These bakery-style chocolate chunk cookies are a must make! They’re tender, flavorful, and bursting with chocolate.
The recipe yields 26 cookies when measured with a large cookie scoop. If you portion them out smaller the bake time will be reduced and you’ll end up with even more chocolate studded cookies. Balls of unbaked cookie dough may be frozen and baked up at a later date — I like to freeze half my dough balls so I can have a fresh baked cookie whenever the craving strikes!
Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (380 grams measured with scale)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (247 grams)
- 1¼ cups light brown sugar (247 grams measured with scale)
- ½ cup granulated sugar (100 grams measured with scale)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 8 oz semi-sweet Ghirardelli chocolate baking bars plus extra for topping
- optional: flaked sea salt for sprinkling
BRING TO ROOM TEMP
- Set out butter and eggs. Allow butter to soften to room temperature.
- If you can, measure flour and sugar in grams using a kitchen scale. This way you get accurate results for the most amazing cookies! If you don't have a scale, use the spoon and sweep method. Fluff the flour first then gently add spoonfuls of flour to your measuring cup, using a straight edge knife/spatula to level the flour with the top of the cup.
- Measure out remaining ingredients.
- You'll use two whole 4 oz chocolate bars here. Chop and set aside an additional = 1-2 oz for topping if you'd like extra chocolate on top. Chop into small chunks, using both the chunks and the little shards/crumbs in your cookies.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together softened butter with brown and granulated sugar for approx. 2 minutes until creamy.
- Add vanilla and eggs and beat for an additional 30-40 seconds.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture on low until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate.
CHILL THE DOUGH
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours.
TIME TO BAKE!
- Allow chilled dough to sit out until soft enough to scoop.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Once dough is scoop-able, use a large cookie scoop to portion out dough then roll out into smooth balls. For extra chocolate on top, press some additional chopped chocolate into the tops of your dough balls.
- Arranged spaced on parchment paper (baked cookies will be approx. 3.5-4 inches) and bake for 11-12 minutes or until edges are golden and the center of the cookie has begun to set. If using a smaller cookie scoop to portion, reduce bake time. Bake in batches as needed.
- Let cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Optional – you can sprinkle fresh from the oven cookies with a teeny bit of flaked sea salt for a salty sweet treat!
Store leftover cookies in an airtight container for up to 1-3 days.
Nutrition Facts below are estimated using an online recipe nutrition calculator. Adjust as needed and enjoy!
More Chocolate-y Cookie Recipes
- NEW! Double Chocolate Cookies
- Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies
- READER FAVORITE: Homemade Cookie Cake
- Chocolate Dipped Macadamia Shortbread Cookies via Pineapple + Coconut
- Chocolate Brownie Crinkle Cookies
If you get a chance to try these chewy chocolate chunk cookies, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!