This tasty Vegetarian Broccoli Salad features cranberries, carrots, cheddar cheese, sunflower seeds, and a tasty lightened-up homemade dressing.
If you read this blog regularly and follow me on Instagram, you’ve probably noticed I’ve been a few crayons short of the box lately.
My 64-pack is missing at least 6 crayons and I’m fairly certain the chickpea ate one of them.
When texting my thumbs, have a mind of their own.
If I dare attempt to type “of” it almost always comes out as “if” and “out” ends up “put” while “nut butter” is perpetually autocorrected to “butt butter” for some strange reason.
Clumsy thumbs + tired momma + autocorrect = cheap entertainment. Especially on nights where an adult beverage is involved.
While it’s been ages since I’ve poured coffee in the cat’s water bowl or watered my plants sans pants, I’m still a hot mess most of the time.
So for past offenses and in preparation of what’s to come, thanks for sticking with me!
Especially when I do things like bulk-buy broccoli and then put it in every flipping recipe I post.
In my defense, it’s delicious!
Vegetarian Broccoli Salad
Broccoli salads are known for their awesome texture and refreshing combo of savory sweetness and I’m completely bonkers for them!
Traditionally the dressing they’re tossed in is loaded with sugar.
To lighten things up, I nixed the half cup of sugar (yikes!) most recipes call for and used a combination of greek yogurt and honey to lighten things up and give the dressing an amazing punch of flavor.
The light and tangy swaps really let the veggies in this dish shine. Since the dried cranberries are sweet enough as it is, there’s no need for that bucket-o-sugar here!
Here’s my tasty twist on this Southern staple:
Vegetarian Broccoli Salad
- 4-5 cups chopped broccoli
- ⅓ cup shredded carrots
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup chopped green onion (divided)
- ¼ cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 2-4 oz cheese, cubed (cheddar/colby/mozzarella)
- ½ cup quality mayonnaise
- ¼ cup plain 2% Greek yogurt
- 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1 TBSP honey
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
OPTIONAL EXTRAS + MIX-INS:
- sliced almonds
- vegan bacon bits
- red onion
- and anything else you can dream up!
- In a large salad bowl, make your dressing by whisking together mayonnaise, yogurt, vinegar, honey, salt, pepper, and half the green onion. Set aside.
- Wash and dry your broccoli and pat dry with a paper towel. Chop into bite-sized pieces and combine with carrots and cheddar in your dressing bowl.
- Fold ingredients together to coat the veggies, cover, and chill for 30-60 minutes before serving.
- Before serving mix in cranberries and sunflower seeds and top with remaining green onion. Enjoy!
Tell me more about this tasty salad!
We’re totally loving this crunchy cruciferous salad!
Broccoli just may be one of my favorite vegetables on the planet. Even as a kid, I was absolutely smitten with it! Granted it was almost always paired with creamy ranch dressing, a blanket of cheddar, or in broccoli cheese soup form. These days I’ll eat it every which way! I’m particularly fond of scarfing it roasted and tossed into salads, crunchy and raw!
This savory sweet salad is no exception, and I’m completely nuts over it!
Speaking of nuts, feel free to swap the sunflower seeds for sliced almonds or get positively nutty and use both!
I usually add whichever I have on hand in my pantry at the moment. The combination of nutty sunflower seeds, sweet and chewy cranberries, and crunchy veggies is absolutely divine here – I can’t wait for you to try it!
Serving this sassy salad at a picnic, party, or potluck?
Awesome! The recipe is easily doubled or tripled to feed a crowd. If you go as far as to quadruple it then you have to invite me over. It’s a rule! ?
If you get a chance to try this classic broccoli salad, let me know!
bonkers for broccoli? try these!
- Cheesy Broccoli Kale Pesto Pizza
- Roasted Broccoli Chickpea Arugula Salad
- Chopped Cauliflower Broccoli Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
- Blueberry Broccoli Spinach Salad with Poppyseed Ranch
- Cranberry Quinoa Salad with Broccoli + Candied Walnuts
- Szechuan Shrimp and Broccoli
If you get a chance to try this vegetarian broccoli salad recipe, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!