Alright kids, we need to have “the talk.”
No, not that kind of talk.
It’s time we have the talk about pumpkin.
Shhhh… It’s okay. I know you’ve seen a LOT of it lately. It looks a pumpkin patch exploded over virtually everything.
Magazines, blogs, grocery stores, restaurants, coffee shops…
You can’t even pick up a bagel without getting assaulted by pumpkin spice.
If they start making pumpkin Doritos to go with the pumpkin pie Pop-Tarts and candy corn flavored kiddie cereal I will lock myself in the pantry and refuse to come out until the companies responsible for these franken-foods come to their senses. It’s the foodie equivalent of hippies chaining themselves to trees. It’s one thing to assault me with actual pumpkin, but when you assault me with artificial pumpkin I start to get catty.
I promise not to let things get out of hand here on Peas and Crayons. Before I can do that, I need to get this out of my system. While pumpkin is virtually everywhere at the moment, there are not nearly enough savory pumpkin recipes in rotation. Not only is it in season, but it’s actually super healthy when you’re not drowning it in a mountain of sugar. Imagine that!
If you liked my lentil-veggie tacos, you’ll absolutely adore these. If you haven’t tried them, well, you clearly have some catching up to do!
Pumpkin Black Bean Tacos
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 cup refried pinto beans
- 1/4 cup of raw chopped onions [any kind!]
- 2-4 Tbsp of taco sauce enchilada sauce, or salsa
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper [if you like a little heat!]
- 1/2 tsp dried cilantro
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- + a little extra of any or all of the above spices to taste
- You'll also need crunchy corn tortillas and all your favorite taco toppings!I mean we are making tacos 😉
- Combine all ingredients, minus the taco shells and toppings, and heat either on the stove top or in the microwave.
- Spoon inside taco shells and pile on the toppings.
- Dude, that's it! Seriously. I made tacos with these for lunch the other day and then made flautas with the leftover filling.