Gluten-Free Carrot Coconut Muffins are a tasty carrot cake copycat in gluten-free muffin form! These healthy veggie muffins are totally delicious and easy to make!
I did a little muffin experimentation after a super-sweet reader asked if this recipe could easily be tweaked and made gluten-free. Well it can. And I did. And since I was already at it, I took out the butter, increased the carrots and healthified the crap out of it.
I also decided to deviate from the standard plain applesauce swap.
I found little jars of organic granny smith apple applesauce and just had to have it! As a result, I wound up with muffins that taste like the elicit lovechild of carrot cake and apple pie. Um…. yeah I’m pretty freaking impressed too!
Since I was taste and quality testing, I went havesies with the recipe to make 6 muffins instead of the usual 12. Though next time I’ll be making a larger batch since a certain neighbor of mine [Love you Kristi!] made off with half of them. Totally a good sign right?
Honey Walnut Cream Cheese Glaze
- 3 Tbsp cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 Tbsp crushed walnuts
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- a dash of cinnamon
- a few drops of vanilla
Whisk together and top with a sprinkle of crushed walnuts
Paired alongside the cinnamon, carrots and coconut it gives the muffins a hint of apple pie flavor without overpowering the other ingredients.
Drizzle with a little bit of honey walnut glaze and top with a sprinkle of shredded coconut and crushed walnuts. peanut butter and honey makes an amazing topping too! Or simply warm them up and enjoy them straight-up for breakfast the next morning.
Gluten-Free Carrot Coconut Muffins
This scrumptious small-batch recipe makes 6 carrot and coconut kissed muffins!
Gluten-Free Carrot Coconut Muffins
Gluten-Free Carrot Coconut Muffins are a tasty carrot cake copycat in gluten-free muffin form! These healthy small-batch veggie muffins are totally delicious and easy to make!
- 1/2 cup plus 2 TBSP gluten-free all-purpose flour (King Arthur is my favorite)
- 1/4-1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup finely shredded/grated carrots
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2.5 TBSP applesauce (I used a granny smith applesauce – delicious!)
- 1.5 TBSP extra virgin olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 large egg (or 1 flax egg)
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon plus a little extra if you’re a cinnamon nut like I am
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a muffin tin with paper liners and get to work!
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients [flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, + sugar].
- Next, add your walnuts and coconut to the dry mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together applesauce, oil, eggs, yogurt and lemon zest.
- Add carrots to wet mixture.
- Combine both bowls [wet and dry] by folding the carrot mixture into the flour mixture until a batter is formed. Don’t over-mix.
- Next pour your batter into the muffin liners and bake at 350F for 25 minutes.
- Do the tooth-pick test around 20-24 minutes to see if they cook a little quickly due to oven variations. Once the tooth pick comes out clean pull them from the oven, remove muffins from the tin and allow to cool on a wire cooling rack.
- Dig in!
Nutrition Facts below are estimated using an online recipe nutrition calculator. Adjust as needed and enjoy!
If you get a chance to try these gluten-free carrot coconut muffins, let me know! Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation! I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
To store, wrap each cooled muffin in saran wrap and pile them in an air-tight container. Dig in the following morning and do a little happy dance around your kitchen while you’re at it!
What’s your all-time favorite muffin?