September just began and I’m already sick of hearing about pumpkin. It’s everywhere! My Pinterest feed alone is inundated with so many pumpkin spiced cakes, cookies, and confections that I find myself cringing with each scroll. Make it stop! I can’t go down that rabbit hole. I just can’t.
I’m taking a stand and sticking my tongue out at pumpkin. In fact, I’m so ticked off that I’m going to go ahead and boycott it for the rest of 2014. Take that, pumpkin spice lattes! You don’t own me!
Sweet potatoes are an entirely different story, though. Now THAT veggie owns me. Factor in a hearty drizzle of deliciously smoky BBQ sauce and zesty ranch dressing and you’ll have me sweet potato wasted for the rest of the year.
Barbecue Ranch Sweet Potato Pizza
Barbecue Ranch Sweet Potato Pizza
- 2 naan flatbreads [or your favorite crust!]
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2-1 cup freshly grated cheese
- 1/2-1 cup baby arugula
- 2 TBSP ranch dressing [see below for recipe]
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- After peeling, slice your sweet potato using a sharpened chef's knife or mandolin.
- Bring a small pot of water to boil and toss the SP slices in for approx 3-5 minutes.
- Once tender, drain and set aside.
- Slather each flatbread with BBQ sauce and sprinkle with a thin layer of cheese.
- Follow it up with a later of sweet potato and another layer of cheese.
- Bake at 350 F, straight on the rack, for 10-15 minutes or until the crust is crisp and the cheese hot and melty.
- Top with arugula, red onion, and a hearty drizzle of ranch and dig in!
Since I keep forgetting to post it, here’s my recipe for homemade ranch dressing!
what’s in it?
1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt
1/4 cup of lowfat buttermilk
1/4 cup good quality mayonnaise [homemade or store bought]
1-2 cloves of garlic, smashed + minced
2 stalks of chopped green onion [extra to taste]
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp dill
a few cranks of freshly cracked black pepper
a pinch of red pepper flakes
In a food processor or blender, add all your ingredients and give it a good whirl! Since raw garlic has a yummy bite to it, I suggest starting with a little and working your way up based on taste! It’s really that easy! Pulse until everything is perfectly incorporated and allow to chill in the fridge so flavors can mingle and your dressing can thicken a bit. Enjoy!
I used my go-to garlic naan flatbreads for the base, since it’s the quickest way for me to whip up pizza lately. You can essentially make a pizza out of anything so grab your favorite crust recipe, some flatbread, or even a crusty loaf of french bread and use this topping combo as your guide! There’s no wrong way to pizza! Unless of course you don’t do pizza at all, in which case that’s wrong on so many levels. Pizza is a food group around here!
Going gluten-free? While there are a bevvy of GF crusts on the market these days, you can simplify your life even further by halving a baked sweet potato and using that as the pizza crust. Pile on all the above toppings and you have a crust-less pizza potato that’s positively tasty!
Channeling your inner t-rex? Feel free to add some tender chicken to the mix to round out the meal. It’s great either way!
No matter how you serve it up, I can’t wait for you to try this combo! The cool, tangy ranch and sweet/smokey barbecue sauce are the perfect compliment to these savory sweet potatoes. Add the peppery bite of arugula and red onion on top and hellooooo dellicious!
It also makes fabulous football food. Do it.