Cheesy Rice, Kale, and Mushroom Casserole

Comfort food is in full throttle in this kitchen! =)  Here’s what happens when I’m too lazy to make risotto, ridiculously bored of macaroni and cheese, and on a roaring kale and mushroom kick:

Cheesy Kale and Rice Casserole
Cheesy Rice, Kale, and Mushroom Casserole
aka what to make when you’re entirely too lazy for risotto
makes 2 servings

What’s in it?

1 cup cooked white/brown/yellow rice [1/4 cup dry, cooked any way you'd like!]
1/2 cup of ricotta or blended cottage cheese
a handful of chopped dinosaur kale
8oz sliced button or portabello mushrooms
1 clove of garlic, minced
a thin slice of butter for sauteing
grated cheddar and parmesan cheeses [approx a handful of each... measure schmeasure!]
salt, pepper, parsley red pepper flakes, and garlic powder, to taste

Cheesy Kale and Rice Casserole
Get Cooking!
PREHEAT your oven [or toaster oven!] to 350F.  Cook rice utilizing your favorite method.  While the rice is fluffing away, saute your veggies in a teeny bit of butter.  Season kale and mushrooms with a teeny bit of salt and pepper, and add [+ cook] garlic towards the end to prevent burning.  Once both the rice and veggies are done cooking, combine in a baking dish and stir in ricotta or cottage cheeses.  Sprinkle in a little of your grated parmesan and stir to incorporate.  Taste the mixture and re-season if needed.  At this point i usually add in a sprinkle of parsley and some additional garlic powder, to taste.  Top casserole with grated cheddar and parm cheeses and sprinkle liberally with red pepper flakes for an extra kick of flavor.  BAKE for 20-25 minutes or until golden and bubbly.  Turning your oven to BROIL towards the end of baking for just a minute or so will give the dish an extra golden layer on top.  Just keep an eye on it to prevent burning during this extra step =)  Worth it!

Cheesy Kale and Rice Casserole

So… How was it?
This was one of those random, throw in everything from the fridge as you cook kind of meals… a method of cooking usually yields the best, most random results!  This fridge-cleaning casserole was an instant success and made a delicious + comforting lunch for a cold, dreary day.  After weeks of chowing noodles and quinoa like it was my job, it was such a nice change of pace to have some fluffy rice back in my life.  Red pepper flakes have become my ultimate topping for anything cheese-related and I wouldn’t skip them for the world!  The flavorful kale and hearty mushrooms were a fantastic paring with garlic and rice.  I’m actually craving it again so I may try my hand at a new variation with a different mix of colorful veggies.  Maybe some spinach and buttery squash? Ahhh can’t wait!
Have you ever used rice in a casserole-style dish?
This was my first time!

Comments

1. Lou says

Yummo.  I make a Mexican-style casserole with brown rice… love the texture it brings, especially when slathered in guacamole. ha.   Kale and mushrooms are such a good combo :)

Oh man, that looks so cheesy and delicious :) Kale is relatively new to me, but I’ve fallen in love with it and am always looking for new recipes. Thanks for sharing! :)

This looks delicious! I have some brown rice and kale that really need to get used up—I think I may have to try this. Thanks for the inspiration : )

4. Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean says

i love casseroles cuz there are basically no rules! i’m working on a cheesy lentil and rice one!

I’ve been all about kale lately, so this recipe is ringing bells for me … and of course, having a cheese element helps … I do use rice in casseroles … usually with kielbasa and peppers and a soupy sauce or with mince and peppers and tomato sauce … total lazy comfort food…

Oh my gosh, this is probably one of the most exciting recipes I’ve come across in the blogosphere in a long time. It looks AMAZING.
    I’m definitely going to try to make a vegan version this week. I can’t wait! Thanks for sharing another great looking meal! :)

Very fun dish!  The recipes and photography on your blog are FABULOUS!  I’m so glad I landed here as I was stocking and hopping through blogs!!!  I’m your newest follower and would love to have you to come by for a visit and share the “love” back sometime soon!!!

Your new bloggy friend,
    Aimee from ItsOverflowing.com

Hi, new follower here and thanks for following me on Twitter.  I am really going for this dish.  In fact I just may make this today.  I have brown rice already cooked and have the other ingredients as well.  Love it.

9. sandra wiedmaier says

oh my wonderful goodness ~~~ just pulled this out of the oven and took a sneak peak spoon full absolutely delish!  the children love the picture with it covered in cheese and can’t wait to try it either.  another great recipe from you!