Cheesy Kale, Mushroom, and Rice Casserole
yields 2 servings
- 1 cup cooked white/brown/yellow rice [1/4 cup dry, cooked any way you'd like!]
- ½ cup of ricotta or blended cottage cheese
- a handful of chopped dinosaur kale
- 8oz sliced button or portabello mushrooms
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- a thin slice of butter for sauteing
- grated cheddar and parmesan cheeses [approx a handful of each... measure schmeasure!]
- salt, pepper, parsley red pepper flakes, and garlic powder, to taste
- PREHEAT your oven [or toaster oven!] to 350 F
- Cook rice utilizing your favorite method.
- While the rice is fluffing away, saute your veggies in a teeny bit of butter.
- Season kale and mushrooms with a teeny bit of salt and pepper, and add garlic towards the end to prevent burning.
- Once both the rice and veggies are done cooking, combine in a baking dish and stir in ricotta or cottage cheeses.
- Sprinkle in a little of your grated Parmesan and stir to incorporate.
- Taste the mixture and re-season if needed.
- At this point i usually add in a sprinkle of parsley and some additional garlic powder, to taste. Top casserole with grated cheddar and parm cheeses and sprinkle liberally with red pepper flakes for an extra kick of flavor.
- BAKE for 20-25 minutes or until golden and bubbly, turning your oven to BROIL towards the end of baking for just a minute or so to give the dish an extra golden layer on top. Just keep an eye on it to prevent burning during this extra step. Worth it!