If you’ve read this recipe post then you know I’m a little bit inappropriate when it comes to food in ball form. I would apologize… but most of you have dirty, dirty minds. So if you feel the need to make a few puns or toss a little “that’s what she said” my way, feel free.
This is a safe environment.
Where we will be rolling fruit and nuts into balls.
Homemade Key Lime Larabar Balls
- 1/2 cup dates
- 1/4 cup raw, unsalted almonds
- 1-2 tablespoons raw, unsalted walnuts
- 1/4 cup fresh or store bought lime juice
- 2-3 tablespoons of sweetened shredded coconut
- adapted from lily's health pad
- Toss everything in your food processor and pulse.
- You might need to push the mixture off the sides of the processor and towards the blades once or twice. No biggie!
- Just pulse to your desired texture [I like them a little bit chunky] and roll into balls.
- Place your balls on a plate, cover with saran wrap and give them about 10-20 minutes in the fridge and they're good to go!
- Wrap them in saran wrap and snack on the go, or simply devour the entire batch in the name of food science and experimentation. Guess which one I did 😉
- Store saran wrapped in your fridge for up to 3-4 day, though I haven't been able to get them to last more than 12 hours.
- Enjoy cold or allow them to reach room temperature before snacking, whichever floats your boat!
Courses snack, dessert
Play with your food! To make them even prettier, you can roll the balls in a little extra coconut or sprinkle it on top. Want a super intense lime taste? Add a teeny bit of lime zest to the mix! Don’t like lime? Go juice-less and add peanut butter + chocolate chips!
So… How were they? Though I’ve only been lucky enough to get my hands on one Key Lime Pie Larabar in the history of my life… this tasted JUST LIKE IT! Dare I say even better? I do — they were better than the inspiration! These balls are zesty and tart with subtle sweetness from the coconut and dates and a nice hearty texture from the walnuts and almonds. Perfection! Plus they are a perfect portion! No more limiting yourself to 1/2 a bar and feeling jipped! I might have to whip up a batch weekly because my key-lime loving husband is quite fond of my balls.
There’s so much wrong with that statement.