Key Lime Larabar Lara-Balls

Key Lime Pie Larabar Balls

If you’ve read this recipe post then you know I’m a little bit inappropriate when it comes to food in ball form.  I would apologize… but most of you have dirty, dirty minds.  So if you feel the need to make a few puns or toss a little “that’s what she said” my way, feel free.

This is a safe environment.

Where we will be rolling fruit and nuts into balls.

I love key lime pie.  LOVE, love.  Which, for a dessert snob like me, is epic.  If you’re one of the lucky few that has ever come across a Key Lime Pie Larabar, then you know how absolutely delicious they are.  But the problem is… most of us wouldn’t be able to find one without doing a crazy health food store search within a 2 hour radius from our home.  In fact, I’ve done that crazy search and still couldn’t find one. So I got my butt in the kitchen.

Key Lime Pie Larabar Balls
Key Lime Lara-Balls

ingredients:
[adapted from this recipe] Makes approx 6 snack-sized balls.
1/2 cup dates
1/4 cup raw, unsalted almonds
1-2 tablespoons raw, unsalted walnuts
1/4 cup fresh or store bought lime juice
2-3 tablespoons of sweetened shredded coconut

instructions:

Toss everything in your food processor and pulse.  You might need to push the mixture off the sides of the processor and  towards the blades once or twice.  No biggie!  Just pulse to your desired texture [I like them a little bit chunky] and roll into balls.  Place lara-balls on a plate, cover with saran wrap and give them about 10-20 minutes in the fridge and they’re good to go!  Wrap them in saran wrap and snack on the go, or simply devour the entire batch in the name of food science and experimentation.  Guess which one I did ;)

Store saran wrapped in your fridge for up to 3-4 days.  Though I haven’t been able to get them to last more than 12 hours. Enjoy cold or allow them to reach room temperature before snacking, whichever floats your boat! <3

Play with your food!

To make them even prettier, you can roll the balls in a little extra coconut or sprinkle it on top.  Want a super intense lime taste?  Add a teeny bit of lime zest to the mix!  Don’t like lime?  Go juice-less and add peanut butter + chocolate chips!

Give your balls a twist!
Well that didn’t come out right! =) Turn these into Key Lime Granola Balls by rolling fruit/nut balls in your favorite granola crumbs. I used Love Grown’s cinnamon-laced Cranberry Pecan granola for a few of the balls and was absolutely enamored.  So good! I loved the extra crunch and the leftover, broken pieces of granola that always chill out at the bottom of the bag are perfect for this.

key lime larabar ball recipe

So… How were they?
Though I’ve only been lucky enough to get my hands on one Key Lime Pie Larabar in the history of my life… this tasted JUST LIKE IT!  Dare I say even better?  I do — they were better than the inspiration!  These balls are zesty and tart with subtle sweetness from the coconut and dates and a nice hearty texture from the walnuts and almonds.  Perfection!  Plus they are a perfect portion — No more limiting yourself to 1/2 a bar and feeling jipped!  I might have to whip up a batch weekly because my key-lime loving husband is quite fond of my balls.

There’s so much wrong with that statement.

Comments

Looks delicious!
    I just made Key Lime Frozen Yogurt last night! Key Lime is one my absolutely favorite flavors. Next time you should try using Key Lime juice (sold in a bottle, as well – Nellie and Joe’s brand) – it really stands out and is super-flavorful! :) ~

2. Sam says

girl, our minds are totally on the same wavelength today. i’m sitting here like a little school girl giggling (but also drooling as those look YUM). must try!!

I’ve never tried the key lime Larabar, but I’m loooooving the sound of it! I’ve got to start playing around with my little cookie dough balls… so far the only flavor I’ve tried is chocolate chip, which I’m kind of addicted to, hence not trying anything new ;)

I have had one key lime larabar and I LOVED it!!! The only prob is that I can’t remember where I bought it and I have yet to find it again! I look everytime I am in the grocery store because it’s my all-time fave larabar! So happy you posted this girl!!

5. Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry says

Those balls look AMAZING! I love Key Lime Pie Larabar and I have a feeling I would die for these.
    My fave is the PB&J Larabars :)

Jenn, these look INCREDIBLE!  How do you store them/how well do they keep?  I think I might make some to take to the hotel with me for wedding week as a good snack.

I think 3-4 days in the fridge in saran wrap should store them safely.  The recipe makes about 6 or so balls depending on what size you roll em to. I really need to update this page! Good questions love! Thanks for that!

8. Suzy Meyer says

YUM this looks awesome!! If only they were carb free! Ever heard of any yummy recipes w/no carbs?! I’m convinced they don’t exist…

Oh yes, I am absolutely totally positively going to try these! I looove me some key lime pie! I’ve never seen Key Lime Larabars, but that doesn’t matter anymore because I have a super awesome recipe in front of my eyes. :)

Favorite fruit-nut combo: Anything with coconut makes me happy (what is a coconut anyways? Not a fruit because there’s no seed, right? Or is the coconut the seed? Hahaa food for thought!)

10. Kissmybroccoli says

Ohhhh, I LOVE the key lime flavor! But I think if I had to choose a favorite, I’d have to go with the coconut cream bar…or the chocolate coconut…what can I say, I’m a coconut whore! And yes, I would definitely be rolling my balls all over some coconut flakes…ok, that sounds weird! Haha!

Loving these pics girlie, especially that last shot!!

11. Lara Matos says

I might make them just because they have my name in the title … and because I love Key Lime Pie! Yum!!

Can i just say, I’m SHOCKED its that hard for you to find Larabars! Is it like that will all health food stores and/or Larabars?

I’m with you on key lime anything. Or lime anything. They look great!!!

13. jessie_saxton says

These look so yummy! But…I have NEVER had dates before! Can you believe it!?! I was all excited when I was reading the recipe, because I’ve been eyein’ up that pic in your sidebar FOR-EV-ER. I HAVE everything on that ingredient list in my house right now, but whawhawha…not the darn dates. Apparently I had a BF (brain fart) from the beginning (since the ARE the first ingredient listed) to the end of the recipe. Anyhow…I will be buying date son my next trip to town.

14. Roxanne says

So I made these today with 1 minor adjustment – I used mulberries instead of dates.  Nice amount of sweet, tart and crunch.  Thank you!!!!!!