Oh pizza rolls…. Though I probably watched TV a total of 2 hours this week, I’ve still managed to see no less than 50 commercials for uber-processed Pizza Rolls. UGH! Really!?
Growing up, my parents worked around the clock and often left my siblings and I with a freezer stocked to the brim with Bagel Bites and Pizza Rolls. It happens. But not anymore! Despite kicking the habit when I went away to college, those commercials hit me with some serious nostalgia and some mondo cravings. Then, as usual, twitter pushed me over the edge. Or should I say Heather pushed me over the edge?
Homemade Pizza Rolls + Deep Dish Won-ton Pizza Cups
10 minPrep Time
8 minCook Time
18 minTotal Time
- Nasoya Won-ton Squares [found near the tofu and salad stuff]
- your favorite pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce
- freshly grated parmesan and/or mozzarella cheese
- pepperoni [turkey, regular, or veggie]
- garlic or garlic powder
- red pepper flakes for topping
- get creative! Take your favorite pizza toppings and go nuts. You can whip these up Hawaiian style, meat lover's, veggie lovers, or simply clean out your cripser with this super versatile snack!
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- If you're a mushroom lover like me, start by sauteing a handful chopped mushrooms with a minced clove of garlic in olive oil. If you can't stand the stuff, skip it or swap for some delish diced peppers, onions, or even some Italian sausage crumbles + follow the steps below!
- For sketch-free pizza rolls, lay your won-ton wrappers flat on a cutting board.
- Add just a teeny bit of sauce so it doesn't squish out the sides.
- Top with veggies and pepperoni a la the photo below.
- Dip your finger in a little bit of water [keep a small cup handy] and run along the right and bottom side of the square and press closed until sealed. The water helps them stick.
- Repeat for each won-ton.
- When all your pizza triangles are sealed, set atop a wire baking/cooling rack and spritz each side with spray oil.
- Place the wire rack on a baking sheet and bake at 375 F for about 8-10 minutes, until golden and crisp.
- Want your pizza rolls extra saucy? Feel like skipping the whole folding shenanigans? See below for steps on how to make deep dish won-ton cups in mini muffin tins! They're easy and equally delicious!
Put a spin on it!