Homemade Pizza Rolls + Deep Dish Pizza Cups

Homemade Pizza Rolls + Deep Dish Pizza Cups

Oh pizza rolls….

Though I probably watched TV a total of 2 hours this week, I’ve still managed to see no less than 50 commercials for uber-processed Pizza Rolls.  UGH!  Really!?

Growing up, my parents worked around the clock and often left my siblings and I with a freezer stocked to the brim with Bagel Bites and Pizza Rolls.  It happens.  But not anymore! Despite kicking the habit when I went away to college, those commercials hit me with some serious nostalgia and some mondo cravings. Then, as usual, twitter pushed me over the edge.  Or should I say Heather pushed me over the edge?

I was correct.  They were not the same.  They were better =)
The other difference? Mine lack defatted soy flour, modified cheese, partially hydrogenated soybean oil and other such “goodies.”  Shame on you Totinos for not only making this crap, but for marketing it to kids and parents.  Sometimes… when I’m feeling particularly feisty, I daydream about making Eat at Your Own Riskstickers and slapping them on every product in the grocery store that labels sketchy products food instead of food-like products. Grr!  *End of rant*  High-Five if you’re with me!

pizza roll pizza wontons
I saw a skinny pizza wonton recipe forever ago and decided won-ton wrappers were the way to go!  Plus I allllways have them on hand.  I apologize in advance if you end up with a won-ton wrapper addiction too =)

what’s in it?

spaghetti or pizza sauce
grated parmesan cheese [and sprinkle parm for topping!]
nasoya won-ton squares
turkey/regular/veggie pepperoni
mushrooms
garlic or garlic powder
red pepper flakes [optional]
spray olive oil
and any other veggies you can get your hands on!

get cooking!

If you’re a shroom love like me, saute a handful chopped mushrooms with a minced clove of garlic in olive oil. If you can’t stand the stuff, skip it or swap for some delish diced peppers or even some Italian sausage [or tempeh!] crumbles. Preheat your oven to 375F + follow the steps below! <3

For the pizza triangles [below] go light on the sauce so it doesn’t squish out the sides.  If you like your pizza saucy, grab a muffin tin and make the deep dish pizza cups at the bottom of this post <3 Hooray for variety AND flexibility!

Once your pizza ingredients are in place, dip a finger in water (It helps to have a little cup of water handy while assembling the wontons) and your finger along two sides of the wrapper to moisten.  Fold into a triangle and press, the thin layer of water should act like a glue and help you press the edges into little pouches.  Seal em up and pop them on a wire grilling rack, cooling rack, or whatever else you call the sheet below.  This is by far my favorite faux-frying technique ever. By layering a wire rack over a baking pan you allow both sides to get so super crispy that you’ll swear the food has been snuck into a deep fryer. Think of pizza… if you want a crispy crust, you toss it right on the rack, right? Same concept… Same glorious results =)

wire rack and cookie sheet crispy baking technique

Spray your won-tons with a natural olive oil spray and sprinkle Parmesan on top. Bake at 375F for 8-11 minutes or until golden brown.

pizza roll wonton snacks

Put a spin on it!

Paul goes gaga over ham & cheese sandwiches and Hawaiian pizzas with ham and pineapple.  I have it on good authority that stuffing a wonton pizza roll with ham, cheese and pineapple is pretty baller.  If you’re into that sort of thing =)
Also, turning the rolls into cups… nothing short of amazing!  Hellooooo Deep Dish Pizza Cups! If you don’t have a rack to faux fry the rolls on or just want more pizza in your roll, totally whip out a mini muffin pan and try these babies on for size:
deep dish pizza roll mini muffin wonton cups
pizza roll wontons
More pizza.  Same crunch.  #Jackpot!
To make pizza cups, spray a mini muffin pan with olive oil and line it with a won-ton square.  Fill with all you’re favorite pizza ingredients and toppings and bake at 375F for about 8 minutes or until deliciously golden brown.  If you only have a regular muffin pan, you might be able to mickey mouse it by using two wonton squares to make your cup =)
UPDATE: These froze marvelously!
Prep, freeze on a flat baking sheet, toss into a baggie and store in your freezer for later!
To reheat, bake on a wire rack for 7-9 minutes at 365F
Want more won-ton recipes?

Comments

Well first of all *High Five* on the stickers in the grocery store! I would so do that with you. I always wanted to protest something, my momma says I was born in the wrong decade. :)

Those look amazing and I am going to have to try those on my kiddos.

2. jillian dieter says

omg my parents ALWAYS had popcorn and pizza rolls in the house..and now i want that for dinner. A LOT. h rarely lets me eat that for dinner tho…which is good bc that stuff is pretty deadly. i like this recipe!

3. jillian dieter says

ps GREAT tip with the cookie rack. i need to make sure mine can go into the oven! it might be coated with plastic.. have a great weekend lady! xo

4. Tiff @ love sweat and beers says

Good Call! I’ve definitely eaten way more than my fair share of bagel bites over the years.

5. Kayla Mai says

I used to tear up some pizza rolls, haven’t had them in years!! These sound even better…adding these to my “must make” list!  Thanks for sharing!

6. Andi says

High five!!!  I love this recipe!  My kids have never had pizza rolls but they love when I make bagel or english muffin pizzas! They will love these, and so will I!!

First of all, I love all things pizza-related!!  But thanks for the tips about the cooling rack.  It’s funny you mentioned it, because I had heard that same tip somewhere else a while ago, and I keep meaning to try it with my sweet potato fries.  That will be a must-do next time! :)

8. Tanja Hester says

How terrible is it that we ate the food-like pizza rolls in the last month? I blame the coupons. They sometimes make me buy crazy things, when they’re free! ;-) But your version sounds so much tastier (and, duh, tons healthier). I bet I could make a big batch of these, refrigerate or freeze them before cooking, and then pop them into the oven after a long day of skiing. They would be such a hit!

Holy cow!!  I used to looooove the pepperoni pizza rolls!  I HAVE to make these today or else!  I’m going to try making some homemade gluten free, vegan won ton wrappers.  If I’m successful, I’ll be the happiest gal in the world.  Thanks!  :-)

10. Kyria Wilson says

Yum that looks so good. I need to go and make it right now. Along with all the other won-ton ideas you have!!!

11. bananas. says

well aren’t you creative! that looks and sounds AMAZING! a lot of work though…well for me. haha. i’m lazy.

12. Megan @ MackeyMadness says

YUM!!! I would totally eat these RIGHT NOW…if you were here to make them for me. Hahaha. I haven’t had pizza rolls and bagel bites in forever!!

13. Kate Wason says

ughh i totally agree on the supermarket frozen “food”! Sometimes I can’t believe my parents let me have Bagel Bites…theres nothing in them but sodium and like…a ton of chemicals?? grown-up me only eats them when I’m drunk…lol…but YOURS look amazing!!! there’s so much different stuff you could put in them! making normal pizza can get kinda boring sometimes, I’m gonna have to test this one out!

14. Jen says

*High Five*!! My kids always beg for those damn things, but I refuse to buy them!! I can’t wait to make these, thank you :)

I’ve never heard of pizza rolls but these look amazing!
    I never get to eat pizza because my boyfriend hates bread, cheese and tomatoes (What a freak, right??) so i could just make a couple of these just for me…. perfect!

I’ve never heard of pizza rolls either but these look divine. They’d totally hit the spot and I bet my 6-year-old would love them!

I look at the wonton dough almost every time I’m a the grocery debating what I could do with them and always put them back…I’m getting them next time! This sound like an instant hit!

18. Alexis Kaye says

High five! And those look delish! I was the same. When I was younger I always ate nasty freezer mystery foods, and then I went off to study dietetics as well. We just lead parallel lives. Except for the fact that you’re awesome and you can actually make bomb food :)

Freakin’ a, girlfrien’, these look delicious.  Since you’re a wonton wrapper goddess and all, do you know if you can freeze leftover ones?!

20. Kay says

This is amazing!  Brian is crazy for just that kind of packaged, not-real-food-I-never-eat-it-and-never-will type of snack.  And he’s so sad that I refuse to let it in the house.  I have a feeling this is going to make both of us happy.

Did you try freezing them?  Does that work?  Because I think making a million of these and having them in the freezer ready to go would be delish!

(This is me rejoining the real world and trying to catch up on everything I missed in the past few weeks!)

21. Kissmybroccoli says

*HIGH FIVE!!* I can just see us now skipping up and down the aisle with our stickers in hand! hahaha!

I should have known that the won-ton wrapper train would make a stop here! I LOVE it! I practically LIVED off pizza rolls and cold cereal when I was in college! If only I had known about THESE back then! Ohhh, and I love the deep dish version! Preeeeeeeeeeety!

good gaaaah those look d-lish! i think you’d have a hay-day in our freezer section, those stickers could come in mighty handy i’m embarrassed to say ; )  as my soppy bit of yogurt stares me square in the face, i’ll have you know i’m now dreaming about crazy awesome pizza inspired escarpments like these. cheers to rad revelations and happy Sunday!

These look incredible!  I tried to create “italian wontons” a few months ago, but these look so much simpler (and healthier, as I hadn’t figured out the baking part when I was doing my experiment.  Can’t wait to try them!

24. Katheryn Limback says

I’m so trying these- not because I’m a huge fan of them myself (I’m a bagel bite girl), but because my son eats these in mass quantities. These look not only healthier and yummier, but even more budget friendly. Rock on.

Thank you Katheryn!!!! I’m totally a bagel bite girl too! ok and a pizza roll girl… i’m just really really into pizza =) Hope you guys love the recipe! They’re SUPER budget friendly! The won-tons come with so many in a package that it makes them ridiculously affordable! Which is perfect! =)
    Have a fabulous day love!

Oh goodness, I was a Totinos pizza roll fiend when I was in middle school! Loved those things! And yes, they are “things”–that label can be applied to any food made with partially hydrogenated soybean oil and modified cheese. *Shudder*

Your recipe is bangin!! And super cute too! Why can’t won ton wrappers be GF? Grr… Oh, and I love love love the idea of slapping “eat at your own risk” stickers on items at the grocery store. Can I join you in this adventure? :-p

27. Mikalah says

Yum!!! Those look seriously amazing. I am with you on the eating better foods, but I must admit that once in a while we totally eat totinos pizza rolls. But I suspect that if I make these, they will quickly become a replacement!

28. Angie @ Twofriendstwocities says

YUM!  And there are so many healthy options to make with these! I love that you can freeze them also!!  I am going to make these next time my husband invites people over to watch sports.

29. Stephanie DeBoer says

Since you posted this two weeks ago…I’ve been jonesing to try it!  But I couldn’t find the wrappers at my normal grocery supplier.  I had to look up the product online to see where they sold them…and I found them tonight!!  I made the pizza rolls….AH-Mazing!!  Thank you so much for sharing the recipe.  You’ve inspired me to start a new weekly post:  Foodie Fridays.  :)  And this will be my first “episode”!  Can’t wait to try out some of the other goodies you’ve got posted on here!

30. Jennifer says

My store ran out of won-tons, so I tried out egg roll wrappers.  A little messier, but fantastic!  I can’t wait to freeze some :)  Thanks so much for this wonderful idea!

Dear Jen,
    I just did my 15th WIAW post, so I’ve been following your blog for roughly 20 weeks (missed a few WIAWs along the way).  I happened to stumble upon this post tonight and can I just tell you – I know we barely know each other – but I just fell in love with you!  Seriously my fiance and I LOVE pizza rolls.  I’m try to eat healthy and he has a hard time eating health.  Once we get married, though, he’s under my power ;) and these will be so perfect!  I seriously was thinking a while back, I wish there was a way to make pizza rolls that wasn’t so terrible for you and boom here they are!!! I’m SO excited!

Okay so that’s my huge letter basically saying thanks for making this and sharing it and you completely rock my socks off!
    :) Katie

32. Roberta says

I made 252 of these today to freeze for the kids snacks this summer. I made pepperoni pizza with pepperoni, Mozzerella cheese, parmesean cheese, garlic, red pepper flakes & pizza sauce. I made philly cheese steak with steak, sauteed onions, bell peppers & mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce and Mozzerella cheese. I made veggie pizza with sauteed onions, bell peppers & mushrooms, Parmesean cheese, Mozerella cheese and pizza sauce. I made cheese pizza with Parmesean cheese, Mozerella cheese and pizza sauce. I made barbecue chicken with barbecue chicken only. When I get more wrappers I am going to make ham & cheese; pineapple, pepperoni & cheese pizza; taco; bacon cheeseburger; triple meat pizza and some other kind that uses steak because I have a steak leftover. These are turning out AMAZING! Thanks for the ideas!