This Black Bean Salsa is perfect as a dip, taco topper, party appetizer, and even as a taco salad mix-in too! We love the simple ingredients and big flavor.
I’ve long been crushing on the classic, totally tasty combo of black beans and corn.
If I’ve added either to a dish, chances are the other is sure to follow!
Today’s recipe features black beans and corn in salsa form, alongside fresh ripe tomatoes, onion, scallions, cilantro. A little sea salt here, a little lime juice there, and the result is a tasty topping for tortilla chips, salads, tacos, burrito bowls, and more!
Though I often treat this black bean and corn salsa like a dip, I’ve recently started serving it up as a side salad for some of our favorite Mexican-inspired dishes. Last week we had it with vegetarian Mexican Pizza Lasagna. It was so amazing both my husband and I went back for seconds!
This salsa can be enjoyed right away, but it’s also even more flavorful once it’s had some time to chill overnight in the fridge.
You know what that means people — MEAL PREP! It’s an easy make-ahead option to make once and enjoy all week long.
Black Bean Salsa
Black Bean Salsa
- 1.5-2 cups black beans (canned or cooked from dried)
- 2 cups corn (canned or thawed/steamed from frozen)
- 2 large tomatoes (2 cups diced)
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 TBSP fresh lime juice plus extra to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prep your veggies, draining and rinsing beans/corn as needed. In a large bowl, combine black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, diced red onion, chopped green onion, and chopped cilantro.
- Top with fresh-squeezed lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- For maximum flavor, cover and chill overnight in the refrigerator. (Helloooo meal prep!) If needed, dip may be enjoyed right away or chilled for however much time available.
- Season to taste as needed, adding extras of any of your favorites. You can even add some fresh chopped avocado, bell peppers, white onion, or jalapeño to the mix. I love adding spicy jalapeños, extra lime juice, and extra cilantro - delicious!
- Serve with crunchy tortilla chips as a tasty dip or serve on top of your favorite protein, tacos, salads, burrito bowls, etc... It's fantastic every which way!
Feeling feisty? You can totally enjoy this dip salad-style with a zesty cilantro lime dressing!
cilantro lime dressing
- 3 TBSP lime juice (2 limes)
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (or light olive oil)
- 1 TBSP red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves plus extra for topping
- 2 tsp honey (or agave/sugar if vegan)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cumin
To make the cilantro lime vinaigrette, combine all the above ingredients in a small mason jar and shake well. Pour over salad and toss to combine. Add a little extra cilantro to garnish (as much or as little as you’d like!) and dig in!
Hungry for more?
Get your Taco Tuesday on with these Guacamole Tacos or a big bowl of Mexican Kale Salad with Zesty Cilantro Lime Dressing.
In the mood for stuffed peppers? Put a Tex-Mex spin on things with these Healthy Stuffed Peppers topped with a creamy Cilantro Avocado Sauce.
Looking for a classic salsa? My Wicked Easy Restaurant-Style Salsa is always a hit!
If you get a chance to try this Black Bean Salsa, let me know! Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!