Ultra fluffy and bursting with flavor, these tasty Key Lime Pie Pancakes are a tasty dessert-breakfast fusion guaranteed to jumpstart your day!
Can I kick things off with a super-bold statement? Coffee is no longer the best part of waking up, people!!! It’s these pancakes!
I’m kicking myself for not coming up with these sooner. Fluffy pancakes laced with graham crackers and bursting with lime flavor… it channels everything that’s delicious about a key lime pie into a lightly sweet breakfast cake with a kiss of tartness. They’re delicate and dreamy yet somehow completely easy to make!
My pancake game shall never be the same.
Dare I say that these are more delicious than a pie?
I’m head over heels in love with these key lime pie pancakes!
For easy access, I decided to make this recipe with good ole limes instead of key limes. I know most of us aren’t lucky enough to reside in Florida (come visit me!!!) where the citrus is aplenty and easily grown in the comfort of your own back yard. If you have key limes handy, by all means juice ’em up! If not? Regular limes are beyond fabulous in these dessert-inspired pancakes!
Key Lime Pie Pancakes
Be sure to keep reading past the recipe for some of my favorite pancake tips and tricks.
Key Lime Pie Pancakes
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 tsp pure vanilla extract
- lime zest to taste
- In a medium-large bowl, whisk together almond milk, Greek yogurt, and lime juice.
- Allow mixture to sit and thicken.
- Crush grahams.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, finely crushed graham crackers, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Heat up your griddle.
- Whisk in your melted coconut oil and eggs to the wet ingredients.
- Add your lime zest.
- Slowly add your flour, sifting 1/3 of the flour into the wet ingredients, gently stirring to combine, then repeating until you have a thick and slightly lumpy batter.
- Ladle batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or skillet using a 1/3 cup measuring cup.
- Repeat for each pancake, cooking until bubbles form on the tops and pop, leaving a few delicious little air pockets behind.
- Flip and brown both sides, repeating for each.
- Use a hand mixer or a whisk to whip the heavy cream into whipped cream. Mix in a drop of vanilla extract and finish off with some fresh lime zest for a burst of flavor.
- Dollop on top of pancakes and finish off with some crushed graham crackers and a folded lime slice as an optional garnish. Enjoy!
No coconut oil? No problem!
You can also use light olive oil or avocado oil for these pancakes. I typically have all three on hand (love them so!) but for pancakes I really adore how wonderful the coconut oil performs. The edges of the pancakes get perfectly golden and lightly crispy which is a fabulous contrast to the soft and fluffy center.
I could seriously eat them straight off the griddle without a drop of syrup.
Fluffy Panckes: Tips and Tricks
- Whatever you do, don’t flatten the pancakes with your spatula. It may appear to be a hack for cooking them faster, but what you’ll end up doing is sabotaging the fluff factor.
- Acidity FTW! Using fresh lemon or lime juice to create a faux buttermilk (or even using buttermilk itself) helps lift your cakes and adds flavor.
- Fresh is best. Always make sure your baking powder is still fresh and fizzy. The shelf life is typically between 6-12 months from open date and there are a number of DIY tests online that’ll help you determine if yours is still able to provide lift.
- Mix + Make: once dry ingredients come in contact with the wet, science takes over. Always make your pancakes after mixing. Want a quick fix? Dry ingredients can be mixed in advance and kept in an airtight container in your pantry. Add your wet ingredients and you’re good to go!
- Leave it lumpy! Over-mixing can make pancakes dense and chewy.
so. . . how were they?!
Phenomenal! Each bite is flecked with zesty lime and sweet graham cracker flavor, it’s such a wonderful marriage of flavor. These pancakes are perfectly golden with lightly-crisp edges from the coconut oil and a super fluffy center that easily makes any breakfast into a special occasion. I basically can’t stop gushing about these pancakes. They even won over my skeptical husband and our pancake-picky toddler. Key Lime Pie Pancakes FTW!
Serve with mimosas and a mountain of fresh fruit or all on their own for the snazziest of breakfasts.
They’re portable (as plain cakes) and make ahead (score!) – my family loves these pancakes warmed up from the fridge or freezer on busy mornings.