Take taco night to the next level with these Baked Bell Pepper Tacos! With instructions for vegan, vegetarian, and paleo options, these peppers are ready to transform your typical taco fare with a clean-eating twist!
Much like singing deliciously off-key, leaving the dishes in a Tetris-like tower in the sink, and making stretchy pants a way of life… stuffing veggies with veggies is totally my thing.
Stuffed sweet potatoes will always be my first true love, tied with the always-awesome stuffed spaghetti squash in all its versatile glory. Then there’s the forever-popular stuffing of the bell peppers which is SO DARN GOOD! I tend to load up on seasonal stuffed squash and sweet potatoes all Fall and Winter long, then dive right into bell pepperdom at first sign of Spring.
GUESS WHICH SEASON IS UP NEXT?! Eeeeee!
Happy Taco Tuesday! Let’s do this!
Baked Bell Pepper Tacos
The great thing about stuffed vegetables is how wonderfully versatile they are. You can fit them into literally any meal plan ever. Except the zero veggies meal plan, in which case… you’re in trouble mister! Using naturally low-carb veggies as a base means whatever you decide to make can be gloriously-gluten free depending on your choice of toppings.
Whether you’re a lean, mean clean-eating machine, powering though a paleo diet, as vegan as a bunny rabbit, or simply team EAT-ALL-THE-VEGGIES, there’s a stuffed veggie combo that’s ready to rock your plate any day of the week!
Of course I’m going to insist you start with these tasty baked bell pepper tacos.
Baked Bell Pepper Tacos
- 4 large bell peppers
- 3-4 cups taco filling (choose from below)
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese extra as desired
- 3/4 cup chopped tomato
- 3/4 cup chopped lettuce
- cilantro and lime as a tasty garnish
FEISTY FILLING OPTIONS:
- a. 1lb ground beef, chicken, or turkey seasoned your favorite way and browned on the stove-top! I use a combination of enchilada sauce (homemade or store bought) and homemade taco seasoning to flavor mine, plus a little mexican hot sacue for a kick! You can also make your protein option in advance and keep in the fridge for 2-3 days or freezer for emergency taco night filling. This also works with my lentil-veggie taco filling too!
- b. 3-4 cups Lentil Veggie Taco Filling
- c. 3-4 cups Seasoned tofu like chipotle-style sofritos
- d. 2 cups Refried Beans or black beans + 1-2 cups sautéed veggies
TASTY TOPPINGS (choose your favorites)
- shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese
- sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- fresh cilantro
- sliced jalapeños
- fresh or leftover grilled/roasted/sautéed veggies
- fresh chopped avocado
- salsa verde
- pico de gallo
- Looking for extra crunch? Try crumbling a few tortilla chips on top of your bell peppers or serve them with a side of chips and salsa!
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Choose your protein option(s) from the above list and cook via preferred method.
- Slice each bell pepper in half. Hollow out each pepper, removing stem, seeds, etc...
- Lay peppers on a baking sheet and cook for 8-10 minutes until al-tente or for 10-15 minutes for softer peppers.
- Fill each pepper to the brim with your taco filling of choice (see above for tasty options; I made mine t-rex this time around) and top with cheese.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes, then pile mile-high with all your favorite taco toppings! Anything goes on taco night!
:: pin it for later ::
so. . . how were they!?
Holy cow I love them! Though you wouldn’t expect a mountain-o-veggies to be very satisfying, they’re actually incredibly filling. The bell peppers deliver more fiber and flavor than your average tortilla and are chock full of vitamins too. It’s the ULTIMATE way to shake up your taco night with a healthy (and tasty!) twist.
In the even that you make too many (guilty as charged!) they also make fantastic leftovers. Snag a few for lunch the following day and reheat in the oven, toaster oven, or microwave.
Double-duty dishes FTW!
Find yourself with left over taco night fixings? You’re in luck! Use those tasty leftovers to make taco stuffed bell peppers the following day for fast food without the fuss. You can also re-purpose taco night into Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes, Taco Soup, or Spaghetti Squash Burrito Bowls – SCORE!
Looking for more sassy stuffed peppers?
- Bell Pepper Pizzas – READER FAVORITE!
- Healthy Hummus Stuffed Mini Peppers
- Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Stuffed Peppers
- Buffalo Chicken Bell Peppers