These hand-held bell pepper pizzas channel the deliciousness of pizza with a healthy twist! Packing way more nutrients than the average bagel bite or pizza roll, these pizza peppers make a perfect appetizer for parties and a great healthy snack or lunch for kids!
Today we’re talking about one of my favorite subjects: PIZZA! Dare I say that pizza is practically a food group around here? It totally is!
It’s extremely rare for a week to go by that doesn’t include this easy, cheesy deliciousness in some shape or form. If pizza is wrong, I don’t want to be right!
I’ve always been one to justify my perpetual pizza kick by insisting pizza is a vegetable. If you put enough vegetables on something it, by default, becomes a vegetable… right? No?
What if I make my pizza out of bell peppers?
Hah! NOW pizza is a vegetable!
Bell Pepper Pizzas
Bell Pepper Pizzas
Hand-held veggie pizzas with a healthy twist! These make the perfect appetizer for parties and a great healthy snack or lunch for kids! Ditch the crust and grab a bell pepper!
Double, triple, or quadruple the recipe as needed to serve your crew!
- 1 large bell pepper
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 cup grated cheese
- a pinch of red pepper flakes
- a pinch of basil or parsley
- as many toppings as you can fit!
- Pre-heat your oven or toaster oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice off each of the four sides of your pepper and lay flat on a baking sheet.
- Top with sauce, then cheese, followed by any and every veggie in your crisper! I added broccoli and tomatoes to mine.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flipping your oven to broil towards the end to make the cheese nice and bubbly.
- Add a pinch of red pepper flakes and basil/parsley if desired and dig in!
The measurements above are mostly for recipe's sake and to give you a bit of a starting point. Make as few or as many as you need (helloooo healthy party snacks!) and add any and all of your favorite toppings! They're great every which way!
Nutrition facts below are an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and will vary based on toppings and sauce used. Adjust as needed and enjoy!
so… how were they?!
Fantastic! These bell pepper pizzas have all the ease and integrity of an english muffin or mini bagel pizza without the pesky carbs. The bell peppers linger somewhere between crispy and tender (crender? tendy? umm.. let’s pretend I didn’t attempt that!) and make the perfect vessel for delivering pizza into your face.
They’re a great handheld snack/appetizer and you can easily make dozens to feed a crew! Turn it into a light lunch by adding your favorite side; it’s as speedy as making a sandwich but way more fun.
Of course I should mention these are pretty rockin’ for kids and adults alike! Now grab some bell peppers and meet me in the kitchen!
UPDATE: These bite-sized veggie bombs have been in regular rotation around here for ages now and I fall a little more in love each time we make them. I seriously cannot wait for you to switch up your pizza game and try these super tasty bell pepper pizzas!
More Tasty Stuffed Pepper Recipes:
- Baked Bell Pepper Tacos
- Healthy Hummus Stuffed Mini Peppers
- Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Stuffed Peppers
- Buffalo Chicken Bell Peppers