This healthy Chipotle Sweet Potato Salad is a hit at parties and barbecues! Skip the boring white potato salad and whip up this deliciously smoky, chipotle sweet potato salad instead! Tender cubed sweet potatoes are combined with a zesty homemade sauce for a recipe that’s easy, vegetarian, and gluten-free!
I’m a bit obsessive when it comes to my food.
This is especially the case when it comes to recipe testing. I experiment until my fridge resembles a shrine to whatever dish I’m currently obsessing over.
As I write this, Frida (my fridge) is positively packed with chipotle peppers.
It started with the aoli I used for my Chipotle Pumpkin Veggie Burgers and then kind of snowballed out of control. I started making batch after batch of sauce so I could pour it over everything. I now have it on good authority that it’s amazing as a dip for french fries, drizzled over savory stuffed sweet potatoes, slathered on pretty much any and every burger in existence, and now? Now it’s on my potato salad.
This is one of those sassy side dishes that raises eyebrows and assaults tastebuds. In a good way!!! We can’t stop making this easy peasy potato salad!
Chipotle Sweet Potato Salad
The smoky chipotle dressing for this sweet potato salad features a tasty combination of both Greek yogurt and mayo. Feel free to use all Greek yogurt if you prefer the taste or use all-mayo. It’s pretty darn flexible but my favorite is a combination of the two!
Chipotle Sweet Potato Salad
- 1 lb sweet potato
- 1/4 cup smoky chipotle aoli (recipe below)
- 2-3 TBSP chopped jalapeno pepper (seeds and spicy membrane removed)
- 2 TBSP chopped red bell pepper (optional but delicious)
- 1/2 tsp dried or fresh cilantro to taste
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp salt to taste
SMOKY CHIPOTLE AIOLI
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup all-natural mayo
- 1-2 chipotle pepper in adobo
- 1 tsp Sriracha chili sauce
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- First whisk together your sauce! To make it, simply combine the above ingredients in a food pocessor or blender and adjust heat by adding more or less of the chipotle peppers and sriracha. Super simple! See below for tips on adjusting spice to taste for a more mild or zesty sauce.
- Clean, peel, and cube your sweet potato.
- To boil, toss peeled, cubed sweet potatoes in a medium pot, fill with cold water until just covered and turn burner to high.
- Once it reaches a rolling boil, boil for 6-10 minutes or until fork-tender.
- To test tenderness, fish out an orange cube and attempt to cut it in half with a fork. You can further investigate by taste testing. This is my favorite part of the cooking process. Free samples!
- Drain the water and gently toss sweet potato cubes with the smoky chipotle aoli.
- Fold in diced pepper and sprinkle with cilantro, paprika, and a dash of salt if desired.
- I love it warm and chilled, so dig in whichever way floats your boat! Feeling extra fancy? Serve it up in a fresh bell pepper! Any leftovers will taste great the next day and this dish will await inhalation in your fridge for up to four days.
If you get a chance to try this tasty chipotle sweet potato salad, let me know! Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation.
so . . . how was it?
This easy sweet potato salad is sweet and smoky! I’m simply obsessed with dishes that are sweet, a little spicy, and super refreshing all at the same time. The jalapeño and chipotle peppers kick the heat up a notch and adds great flavor to the sweet potatoes while the yogurt rescues your tastebuds by cooling it down. The flavor is simply fantastic!
The sauce recipe above makes enough for the sweet potato salad PLUS extra for your dipping pleasure. Try it on burgers, fries, sandwiches, and just about anything you can think of! I love it with veggie burgers and as a dip for oven roasted potato wedges.
crazy for chipotle?
- Chipotle Lentil Tacos
- Smoky Chipotle Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili (Instant Pot + Stove Top)
- Black Bean Veggie Burgers with Chipotle Honey Mustard