Fluffy blueberry lemon scones topped with a sweet lemon glaze for an irresistable treat to serve with a cup of coffee or side of fruit for breakfast.
Today we’re making scones.
LEMON BLUEBERRY SCONES!!!
Cue the jazz hands, spirit fingers, and blueberry shaped confetti.
I’m not sure when I went from baking fail-a-thons and fiascos to giving Martha Stewart a run for her money… but holy crap I can bake!
Those of you that have been reading for a while know just how epic of an accomplishment this is for me.
There have been a LOT of failures, and consequently, a lot of batter stuck to my ceiling.
Since blueberries are still in season for a little longer, (in season AND on sale! whoo!) here’s a fabulous way to use up these antioxidant-rich berries.
Fluffy Lemon Blueberry Scones
These light and fluffy lemon blueberry scones are fabulous straight from the oven or cooled to room temperature… just remember that the roof of your mouth can and will hate you if you eat them immediately.
For me, the equation is quite simple: hot scones > destroyed palette.
Will I ever learn? Probably not!
Gimme dem scones!
Serve alongside fresh fruit and iced coffee…. this way when you impatiently bite into a fresh-from-the-oven scone you at least have a little relief!
Lemon Blueberry Scones
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 TBSP cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- zest of one lemon
- 2 TBSP powdered sugar
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest or to taste
- 1 TBSP turbinado sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400°F and lightly grease a baking sheet. Before you begin, pop the butter in the freezer to get extra cold and measure/prep ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter. No pastry cutter? Grate very cold butter using a box grater then cut into the flour mixture using a pair of knives.
- Next add the zest of one whole lemon.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, milk or buttermilk and vanilla. Use a fork to move the flour mixture to the sides of the bowl, making a hole in the middle, then pour egg mixture into the center. Stir until just moistened, then carefully fold in blueberries.
- Grab a sheet of parchment paper and lightly sprinkle with flour to prevent sticking. Gently fold your dough (careful not to crusht the blueberries) a few times if possible. Shape dough into an 8-inch circle on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cut dough into 8-10 wedges, cutting into, but not all the way through, the dough.
- If you've decided to add the glaze prior to baking, add a light drizzle to the scones and sprinkle each with a teeny bit of turbinado sugar. If you want a visible glaze, simply add after baking!
- Bake at 400°F for 15-20 minutes, or until golden and cooked through, using a toothpick to test the center.
- Move to a wire rack to cool and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light and Janice Catlin.
If you get a chance to try these fluffy lemon blueberry scones, let me know!
Leave some love in the comment form below or tag your photos with @peasandcrayons on Instagram so I can happy dance over your creation. I can’t wait to see what you whip up!
So… how are they?!
Each bite is bursting with fruit flavor with just a hint of sweetness.
Lemon and blueberry are officially my new favorite power couple… sweet and tart and freaking fantabulous!
Feel free to pair them with fruity jam or creamy coconut butter but honestly, I never bothered with spreads since they were positively fantastic all on their own!
Fluffy… Flavorful… Refreshing… These are the perfect summer scones!
hungry for more?
- Double Chocolate Scones
- Homemade Cookie Cake (READER FAVORITE!)
- Pumpkin Bread with Cinnamon Streusel
- Homemade Blueberry Muffins via Foodiecrush
Yes, you can bake! Lemon and blueberries are fabulous together. These are perfect!
These scones are delicious! Love this easy recipe!