Yield 2 servings
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms [white button or baby bella]
- 1/2 pkg of extra firm tofu
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, smashed and minced
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp salt plus more to taste
- about a tsp or so of oil for sauteeing
- freshly ground black pepper and a sprinkle or two of dill, to taste
- fresh or dried parsley
- Measure out your greek yogurt and set aside to reach room temperature.
- Next, press the excess water out of your tofu wrapping it in paper towels, setting it atop a dish cloth, and laying something flat and heavy on top for a few minutes. A book... a cast iron skillet... anything will do! Just maybe don't sit on it.
- Saute mushrooms with a little bit of oil and season with a pinch of salt.
- Once they're just about finished cooking, add and gently saute the garlic.
- Next, move the veggies aside and add butter into skillet over medium heat, stirring as it melts. Add the flour to the melted butter to thicken and create a roux, stirring vigorously to incorporate. Pour in veggie broth, tomato paste, salt, pepper, and a little parsley and dill too.
- Simmer on low heat for 5 minutes or so.
- At the very end, stir in the yogurt and tofu.
- Stir and simmer a little longer to give the tofu time to soak up all the flavor of the sauce.
- Taste, adjust salt, pepper, parsley, and dill to suit your palate and serve atop a fluffy pile of egg noodles or a small tower of quinoa.
t-rex chefs you can use chicken broth and/or beef… but the tofu is yummy!
gluten-free chefs skip the flour! The sauce will be a little bit thinner but will still taste the sameTraditionally, stroganoff is served over a small mountain of fluffy egg noodles, which I love. A bare egg noodle-less pantry resulted in a quick swap for fluffy quinoa. I loved the pairing! Its a winner either way, and I can honestly say I would eat this sans carbohydrates of any kind if need be. The sauce and tofu were a match made in stroganoff heaven – Creamy and delicious!