There’s a new pesto in town folks!
Pistachio Arugula Sweet Pea Pesto
I’ve long been a fan of using arugula in pesto. It’s vibrant, flavorful, and just plain pretty! More importantly, is just how heavenly it tastes over four-cheese spinach tortellini. I could seriously eat this and nothing else all winter long. In fact, I just may try to!
You should join me. It’s oh-so-easy being green!
- 1 cup [2.5 oz] of fresh baby arugula [half of a 5 oz pkg]
- ¾ cup of frozen peas
- 25 pistachios, shelled
- 2 TBSP extra virgin or mild olive oil
- 1 TBSP extra virgin or milk olive oil [separate from above]
- ½ tsp fresh smashed + minced garlic
- a pinch of salt
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- yummy extras:
- additional Parmesan cheese for topping [do it!]
- additional olive oil to thin the sauce, if desired
- several chopped pistachios for garnish
- parsley for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by steaming your peas, this will take a few minutes on the stove or the microwave.
- Next grab your freshly smashed/minced garlic.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the garlic to a tablespoon of olive oil and cook on high for 30 seconds. Alternatively, you can break out a small pan and sauté the garlic on the stove top. Both methods work great and take the bite out of the garlic while infusing the oil with rich garlicky flavor.
- Add to a food processor along with the remainder of your ingredients and pulse until beautifully blended.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste and blend in a little extra olive oil if to thin the sauce. I add extra when using it for pasta and leave it thicker for spreading on crackers or crostini. Let your tastebuds be your guide!
This totally goes without saying, but the glory of pesto is that you can make it out of anything you have in abundance. If your garden is overflowing with fresh, fragrant basil, then whip up a bowl of traditional pesto! Have a bag of baby spinach that needs to be used up fast? Sub the arugula in this recipe for spinach and you’ve got yourself a sassy sauce!
The pestobilities are endless!
Did I really just say that? I’ll be under the bed hiding if you need me. I’ll only come out if you make me pesto.