Cranberry Curry Quinoa with Roasted Butternut Squash
Yield 1 -2
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 3/4 cup of veggie broth
- 1/2 butternut squash, cubed
- 1/2 head of cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, plus extra to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- zest of 1/2 a lemon, optional but delish
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Begin by chopping your veggies and coating them in olive oil, salt + black pepper.
- Add to a foil-lined baking sheet and roast at 450 degrees F for about 50 minutes or until golden brown.
- While your veggies are roasting away, rinse, dry and cook your quinoa. If this is your first time cooking quinoa, check out my quinoa tutorial on how to get fluffy, perfect quinoa every time =) It involves a few key steps including rinsing, drying thoroughly, and even lightly toasting the quinoa. Love it so!
- While your quinoa is cooking, add in 1/2 cup of dried cranberries, 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon of mild curry powder.
- Fluff the cranberries and quinoa and allow to cool a bit before tasting a small spoonful. Feel free to add a little more curry powder and the lemon zest if you'd like.
- Move mixture to a bowl and combine with your roasted veggies.
- Dig in!
Brontosaurus Chefs enjoy! It’s deliciously vegan =)
T-Rex Chefs feel free to use chicken broth if you prefer. Leftover pulled pork or shredded rotisserie chicken would be a great addition to this dish
So… How was it? Tasty and filling! Quinoa is protein-and-fiberrific like that =) The curry is light and zesty but doesn’t overpower this dish. The cranberries add a welcome sweetness that can be enhanced further by adding a teeny bit of ground cinnamon. This has quickly become one of my favorite fall recipes. I made it a few weeks ago and have been playing around with it ever since. Sometimes i’ll add fresh roasted pineapple to the mix for a sweet and fruity dish and other times i’ll eat it straight up, and then play with the leftovers.