These Bakery-Style Double Chocolate Banana Muffins are fluffy and flavorful!
Helloooooo dark + moody deliciousness!
I couldn’t resist a super-shadowy late afternoon photo shoot with these dreamy chocolate muffins.
These fluffy beauties practically melt in your mouth and are clearly riding the dessert train much harder than their standard muffin counterparts. I’d say they’re probably closer to a brownie than a muffin at this point but brownies aren’t typically studded with super ripe bananas so…. that’s neither here nor there.
However you spin it, these decadent dessert muffins are ready for their close up!
Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
Each marvelous muffin is 100% freezer friendly, so feel free to grab one or two right away, and then squirrel a few away for a gloomy gotta-have-my-chocolate day.
Also, I think it goes without saying, but these bad boys are toddler and husband approved. I mean how could they not be?! We love a good muffin!
Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
Yield 12 muffins
- 1 + 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup mashed super-ripe banana*
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup avocado oil or melted coconut oil
- 1.5 TBSP applesauce
- 3/4-1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together the first six ingredients in a large bowl: flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and baking powder.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together banana, yogurt, oil, applesauce, and egg until blended.
- Add to your flour mixture and stir just until moistened.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Grab a muffin pan fit for a dozen and line with paper or parchment muffin cups three-fourths full.
- Bake on center rack until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, approx. 20-25 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes in pan, then transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Extra muffins may be frozen and reheated for a rainy day treat or individually wrapped and stored at room temperature for a few days.
Double Chocolate Banana Muffins adapted from Taste of Home
special diets and swaps
I’m going to go out on a limb here, but I think these marvelous muffins have some serious flexibility. I’m not saying go substitution crazy (things could get cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs if you do) but I think a little tweak here or there will do ya just fine.
- the sweetness: no coconut sugar? no worries! regular granulated sugar will work great.
- dairy-free? fret not! replace the greek yogurt with 1/3 cup of mashed banana for a total of 1 + 1/3 cups banana.
- oil options: while I love my trusty avocado oil, you can absolutely use canola oil or melted coconut oil for these muffins.
- no mini chips? snag 3/4 cup of regular semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips and get your muffin on!
Well there you have it, people! I made you dessert! Now that we’ve had our treat we can jump back into our regularly scheduled veggie-a-thon, yes? YESSSS!
Balance: we rock at it!
hungry for more? Try these!
- Coconut-Lime Avocado Muffins
- Greek Chickpea Salad
- Blueberry Broccoli Spinach Salad
- Key Lime Pie Pancakes
Always free; always delicious.