These crispy roasted parmesan chickpeas are a healthy snack loaded with protein, fiber, and a whole lot of deliciousness!
Note to self: please refrain from typing up recipes while under the influence of Paul’s famous mimosas. Or should I call them man-mosas? Is that a thing?
I’m barely functional today but gosh darn it you need this recipe and I intend to keep typing until it’s finished.
Or at least until I fall asleep.
What’s a girl have to do to get a nap around here?!
Anywho! Today I’m insisting you load up a baking sheet with some buttery little chickpeas and roast them into submission, until they’re a perfect combination of crispy, chewy, soft, and nutty… AKA the most addictive legumes of my life.
You can season them any which way, makes them a perfect pairing for just about any dish you can come up with. I’m a super huge fan of tossing them with taco seasoning and serving them on top of tacos/tostadas and though I always intend on topping leafy green salads with these crunchy little nuggets, I always wind up eating the tray by the handful as a wildly addictive snack! They’re even great with soup! Especially this one.
Today however, we’re tossing our chickpeas in a blend of garlic, oregano, sea salt, and lemon zest with a hearty sprinkling of parmesan cheese. It’s a tad glorious.
:: pin it for later ::
Though the parmesan is super duper tasty, you can 110% skip it for dairy-free snackage. Pinky promise they’ll still be delicious.
As a bonus, these bad boys are low-calorie, high-fiber, vegetarian, protein packed, and gloriously gluten-free.
Crispy Roasted Parmesan Chickpeas
Ready to get crispy?
*pours another mimosa*
Let’s do this!
Crispy Roasted Parmesan Chickpeas
Yield 4 servings
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TBSP finely grated Parmesan cheese (approx. 1/2 oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F
- Drain the chickpeas in a colander or sieve and rinse well.
- Pat the chickpeas very dry with a clean dishtowel or paper towels. The drier the chickpeas, the crispier your end result. If you have time, leave them to air-dry for a few minutes, and remove any chickpea skins that come off while drying.
- Toss the chickpeas with olive oil and salt until all your little chicka-peas are coated, then arrange in an even layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast on the center rack for 20 to 25 minutes until crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. Stir or shake the pan of chickpeas at the 10 minute mark for even crispiness.
- While still hot from the oven, toss the chickpeas with the spices and parmesan cheese.
- Serve while the chickpeas are still warm and crispy. Enjoy right away. As they cool the crispiness will be replaced by a nutty chewiness which I think is equally awesome. Feel free to try them both ways!
adapted from: cooking light
and because I was feeling a little artsy fartsy with my edits today…
chickpeas á la moody-AF
SUPER TASTY SERVING SUGGESTIONS:
These crispity crunchity little chickpeas are amazing on pretty much everything! Serve them up on their own as a snack or sprinkle them on top of soup, salads, or even on top of roasted veggies for a flavorful crunch. I like to think of them as healthy croutons!
CRAZY FOR CHICKPEAS?
Check out these reader favorites!