I’ve been going a bit crazy building my appetizer arsenal for the blog. I don’t think anyone around here is really complaining about having apps for lunch and dinner because we’re all starting to squabble over the leftovers. Mostly me, because I’m a bit of a food hog.
This is one of the party apps we’ve been swooning over lately, courtesy of The Laughing Cow and their new Spicy Pepper Jack snack wedges. They provided me with product [yum!] and a gift card [which I promptly blew at Whole Foods on veggies] for this review. All opinions and shenanigans are my own a do not necessarily reflect those of the brand. Though they’re going to love these roll-ups!
Side-note: if you cover the top half of the first photo with your hand the bottom roll-up and tomato kind of looks like Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer… I swear I’m off the pain meds! Does anyone else see it?!
Bueller…. Bueller…..?? Fine. Let’s get our snack on!
20 minPrep Time
20 minTotal Time
- 2 large tortillas [8-10 inches]
- 6-8 wedges of laughing cow spicy pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 + 1/2 jalapeno peppers [seeds and veins removed]
- 2-4 ounces grated mexican cheese
- 2-6 stalks of green onion
- fresh cilantro, to taste
- optional extras:
- sliced avocado
- salsa for dipping
- fresh cherry tomatoes + bamboo skewers to fancify
- substitution shenanigans: plain cream cheese can absolutely be subbed for the pepper jack and feel free to grate your favorite cheese on top! You can grab a mexican blend or use sharp cheddar, gouda, or good ole pepper jack cheese! These pinwheels are easy to make and even easier to customize! Whatever you do, just get them into your face!
- Use a knife to spread a thin layer of pepper jack on each tortilla.
- Lay flat and sprinkle with your favorite grated cheese, then top with bell pepper, jalapeno, green onion and fresh cilantro.
- Bonus points if you add some delicious ripe avocado slices to the mix!
- Try not to over stuff them, since they'll be a hot mess to roll if you do, but if you accidentally do just call it a veggie wrap and make a lunch of it! Hah!
- Starting at the edge, roll the tortilla like you're making a sushi roll, applying gentle pressure to help set the shape.
- Repeat for second tortilla and toss em in the fridge to make slicing easier!
- After maybe 10-15 minutes, use a super sharp knife to slice them into discs.
- Feeling fancy? Skewer those bad boys on a bamboo stick and pop a few cherry tomatoes on while you're at it. Food is always more fun on a stick!
so… how was it!?
Snacktastic! *hides in corner* But seriously, this cheese spread is flipping tasty! The pepper jack is smoky and more-zesty-than-spicy, so it made a perfect base for all the yummy peppers, onion, and cilantro in these roll-ups! If you wanted to turn this into a lunch or simply feed a few carnivores you could absolutely add some fresh sliced chicken or turkey, or leave it as is for a veggie delight! I highly suggest adding the avocado either way, but if I had things my way, we’d put avo on everything! [I kind of already do!]
I’ve rambled enough, your turn! What’s your favorite snack?