5 (more!) Ways to Eat a Baked Potato for Dinner

Recently, Ariel Knutson of Buzzfeed wrote a fabulous little round-up of 23 Amazing Ways to Eat a Baked Potato for Dinner.  I was beyond honored to be featured on it and squeal like a schoolgirl every time I stumble upon the post on a friend’s facebook or on Pinterest.  It’s one of those rare “AHHHH! THAT’S ME!” moments that absolutely makes my day.  This morning a friend posted a link to the article and, after doing my OMG-SOMEONE-KNOWS-I-EXIST happy dance, I realized just how often I actually eat a baked potato for lunch or dinner.  During Paul’s deployment it became my go-to dish since I could load them up with everything I need to use up in the fridge and no matter how much cheese I put on the darn thing, I was still technically eating my vegetables.  Win-Win!
In honor of my baked potato and sweet potato scarfing ways, here are five more ways to eat a baked potato for dinner:

Healthy Potato Lunch & Dinner Recipes

First up is my GO-TO recipe for a speedy lunch or dinner.  During my husband’s deployment I was rolling deep in single-gal dinners and quite literally ate hundreds of these babies.  I’m happy to say that I still love them as fiercely now as I did back then.  With so many combinations of ingredients it’s impossible to get bored.  And when I served these spuds to Paul post-deployment?  He happily agreed they rock.  Easy dinners for the win!
Savory Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
easily the most fun you’ll ever have with a sweet potato
Cauliflower Twice-Baked Potatoes

These spuds combine fluffy whipped cauliflower with caramelized onion and roasted garlic to make a twice-baked potato you’ll feel good about eating!

Shrimp Stuffed Potatoes

Shrimp and grits may be all the rage but shrimp and fluffy russet potatoes?  Another match made in foodie heaven!  Perfectly seasoned seafood with a baked potato on the side is so last summer.  Combine the two for an unconventional [and delicious!] dinner.

Baked Sweet Potato Samosas

Subbing a crispy baked potato skin for the traditional deep-fried pastry dough in samosas gives you all the flavor without the pesky added fat.  Also?  It’s freaking yummy!

These are a bajillion times quicker and easier than they look AND they’re baked, not fried!  Skip the tortilla chips and make this dive bar favorite in the comfort of your own home.  You can even make them with sweet potatoes!

Sweet Potato Nachos

What’s your favorite way to eat a potato?
Are you team sweet potato or do you beeline for the starchy stuff?
I’m an equal opportunist — I love them all!

Busy day?
Toss a few spuds in the crockpot & come home to one of these baked potato soups:
Crockpot Potato Apple Brie SoupVegetarian Loaded Baked Potato Soup

Comments

When my dad was in the army and would be in the field for weeks at a time, my mom’s favorite dinner was rice and peas. I have a feeling that she probably justified it the same way you do your potatoes – technically, she was getting her veggies! Haha. Although these potatoes are a whole lot more balanced (and jazzy) than rice+peas.

We must be on the same wavelength – I just finished my lunch, which was of course, a baked potato with salsa, beans and avocado! LOVE potatoes in all forms – can’t wait to try the Samosa Stuffed potatoes!!

I love those little fingerling potatoes that are around now, and little red potatoes. Bon appetite had a super easy awesome way to make the little red potatoes: boil whole until just just done, drain and dry well, flop into baking dish, and lightly squish with wooden spoon til the skins “pop” Drizzle with olive or coconut oil and a good bit of kosher salt, and bake for 15-20min at 450. The outside is crunchy salty and inside perfect soft texture- i then add my black beans/veggies /hummus ontop but theyre awesome plain too.
    Ttrockwood@yahoo.com

Believe it or not, I didn’t try a baked potato until I was 24!! What were my parents thinking?! And how did I survive after moving out without trying one?! lol Looking fwd to trying these!

I love your recipes! I am a huge fan of both potatoes but probably eat sweet potatoes more often, um like 4 times a week at least! Lately I like to slice em up and roast them and throw them on top of whatever else I am eating, be it something BBQ sauced, asian style or italian. And of course, nothing beats coated with some peanut butter…everything is better with peanut butter.

Wow! Your blog is just what I need: Veggies made delicious! Don’t know if that makes sense, but I am very picky and it’s hard for me to eat more veggies, so seeing how awesome your recipes are is very encouraging. I just came across your blog today and I am definitely going to return =)

Shrimp stuffed potatoes?!!! This is the killer combination! How come I’ve never thought of that? Thank you for brightening my day with all of those options! I think I’ll be living on potatoes for the next week :)

Ahhh, I still need to try those nachos!! I made a savory sweet potato the other day and of course, thought of you instantly! I actually prefer them covered in Greek yogurt and nut butter, but hey, I’m always up for cleaning out the fridge…er, I mean, trying something different! ;)