Today is going to be a little bit of a recipe quickie. I have some big things in store for you recipe wise… but first? Sushi!
I may or may not have eaten this for breakfast one morning. Not even the “oh there’s leftover cake/pizza/sushi in the fridge!” kind of breakfast either. Oh no. I flat out made this while sipping my morning coffee.
What? I was out of bagels!
Japanese Bagel Roll
Shortcut Sushi: Japanese Bagel Roll
Yield 2 rolls
- a few slices of raw sashimi-grade or lightly smoked salmon
- 1 cup of sushi rice, cooked [see below for shortcut sushi rice!]
- 2 sheets of nori seaweed
- 2 TBSP cream cheese
- a sprinkle or two of toasted sesame seeds
- sriracha chili sauce +/or soy sauce for dipping
- to season the rice:
- a splash of rice vinegar
- a pinch of salt
- a pinch of sugar
- sushi mat
- plastic wrap to prevent sticking
- This rice is great for speedy sushi for one. It makes enough for two rolls and is ready in 90 seconds. Simply heat, mix in a spoonful of rice vinegar, season with a pinch of salt and sugar, and fluff with a fork. So. Flipping. Easy. It says on amazon that it costs over but at the grocery store it's just around .50 or so. Hopefully I can con someone into gifting me a rice cooker one of these days! I long to just pour rice and water in a rice cooker and run off without a care in the world. If I do that with a pot on the stove top I risk the occasional accident and wind up spending the next hour scraping rice off the pot... the stove top... and even off my pride. Oh my poor, poor ego! Burned food is the foodie equivalent of winding up pantsless in public. But that's an entirely different story.
- Cook your rice and season with vinegar, salt, and sugar.
- Fluff with a fork and allow to cool.
- Next line a bamboo mat with plastic wrap and top with a sheet of nori.
- Spread rice thinly on the seaweed sheet and then place sliced salmon and cream cheese in the center.
- Roll, slice, and sprinkle with sesame seeds!
- For a full photo tutorial of the process, click here.
so… how was it? Now THAT’S a gluten-free bagel =) Craving adverted. Though now that I know my supermarket sells delicious lightly smoked salmon at their seafood counter, I have a feeling I’ll be craving these all the time!