Gluten-Free Carrot Coconut Muffins

I did a little muffin experimentation after a super-sweet reader asked if this recipe could easily be tweaked and made gluten-free.  Well it can.  And I did.  And since I was already at it, I took out the butter, increased the carrots and healthified the crap out of it.

I also decided to deviate from the standard plain applesauce swap.  I found little jars of [natural] granny smith apple applesauce and had to have it.  As a result, I wound up with muffins that taste like the elicit lovechild of carrot cake and apple pie.  Um…. yeah I’m pretty freaking impressed too!
Since I was taste and quality testing, I went havesies with the recipe to make 6 muffins instead of the usual 12.  Though next time I’ll be making a larger batch since a certain neighbor of mine [Love you Kristi!] made off with half of them =)  Totally a good sign right?

Gluten-Free Carrot Coconut Muffins

3 Tbsp cream cheese [or kefir yogurt cheese]
1/2 tsp honey
1 Tbsp crushed walnuts
1/4 cup powdered sugar
a dash of cinnamon
a few drops of vanilla

whisk together and top with a sprinkle of crushed walnuts

Here’s the applesauce I fell in love with:
Paired alongside the cinnamon, carrots and coconut it gives the muffins a hint of apple pie flavor without overpowering the other ingredients.

get baking!
Pre-heat oven to 350F.  Line a muffin tin with paper liners and get to work!  In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients [flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, + sugar].  Next, add your walnuts and coconut to the dry mixture.  In a separate bowl, whisk together applesauce, oil, eggs, yogurt and lemon zest.  Add carrots to wet mixture.

Combine both bowls [wet and dry] by folding the carrot mixture into the flour mixture until a batter is formed.  Don’t over-mix.  Next pour your batter into the muffin liners and bake at 350F for 25 minutes.  Do the tooth-pick test around 20-24 minutes to see if they cook a little quickly due to oven variations.  Once the tooth pick comes out clean pull them from the oven, remove muffins from the tin and allow to cool on a wire cooling rack.

serving suggestion: drizzle with a little bit of honey walnut glaze and top with a sprinkle of shredded coconut and crushed walnuts.  peanut butter and honey makes an amazing topping too!  or simply enjoy them straight-up for breakfast the next morning — they taste even better the next day!
to store wrap each cooled muffin in saran wrap and pile them in an air-tight container.  dig in the following morning and do a little happy dance around your kitchen while you’re at it =)  thanks for that!

What’s your all-time favorite muffin?

Comments

Oh goodness, I don’t know if I can choose my favorite kind of muffin!!  But I have made these pumpkin muffins with chocolate chips and cream cheese frosting before that were to DIE for.  Of course, they should probably be considered more of a cupcake than a muffin! ;)

Ahhh you are the best!!! These look amazing and I will be making them ASAP! I think these might just become my new favorite muffins :) That applesauce looks awesome too, I’m going to be on the lookout for it! Thank you!!!!

My sister is always looking for gluten free recipes!  I can’t wait to see her the link for your muffins!  They sound awesome!!!!  I know she will love them!  I would love it if you come share them at my Tuesday link up:-)

4. Liz @ Southern Charm says

Looks so good!! But do you think it will taste just as good without the walnuts? I can’t have nuts :(

5. RavieNomnoms says

Yes please! They look so great! I don’t think I have ever had the combination of carrot and coconut before

They were actually fluffy! Cake-like yet still moist b/c of the applesauce. I can batch test it again to make sure…I was so impressed with them!!! The GF flour mixture was about $4-5 a box so it wasn’t super cheap but the consistency it gave the muffins was worth it!

xoxo

7. Sloane@LifeFoodandBeer says

I love that apple sauce but can not find in where I currently live!! The muffins look great though. I love any muffin with nuts in it :)

8. Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner says

These look DELICIOUS! My all-time favorite muffin is my Chocolate Coconut Date Muffins. <3

9. Meghan says

I’m new to your blog and you crack me up. Very funny, laugh out loud funny. Thanks for entertaining me. Also, your food looks fantastic, and I can’t wait to try some of your recipes and maybe even join in the WIAW fun. I’m very new to the blogging world (fresh meat, except I don’t eat any…meat that is), and I love your concept.

ahhh you think i’m funny?! THANK YOU!!!! I feel like an uber-nerd everytime I write something ;) Welcome to the crazy world of blogging! Send me the link when you get a chance so I can stalk ya! haha

xoxo

Wow! I was already convinced after hearing you rave about them the other day, but hello gorgeous! These look amazing!! I just checked out both recipes and they both look fab, but I can’t wait to try this after a trip to the store to get my hands on some of that applesauce…you know, thanks to you, my two item shopping list is getting pretty lengthy! Lol

Favorite muffin: Anything with pumpkin! :)