I did a little muffin experimentation after a super-sweet reader asked if this recipe could easily be tweaked and made gluten-free. Well it can. And I did. And since I was already at it, I took out the butter, increased the carrots and healthified the crap out of it.
Gluten-Free Carrot Coconut Muffins
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp of gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ¼-1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- ¾ cup finely shredded/grated carrots
- ½ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup plain greek yogurt
- 2.5 Tbsp granny smith applesauce
- 1.5 Tbsp oil [olive, grapeseed, coconut, etc...]
- 1 large egg [or 1 flax egg]
- ½ tsp lemon zest [optional, but yummy!]
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cinnamon plus a little extra if you're a cinnamon nut like I am
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Line a muffin tin with paper liners and get to work!
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients [flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, + sugar].
- Next, add your walnuts and coconut to the dry mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together applesauce, oil, eggs, yogurt and lemon zest.
- Add carrots to wet mixture.
- Combine both bowls [wet and dry] by folding the carrot mixture into the flour mixture until a batter is formed. Don't over-mix.
- Next pour your batter into the muffin liners and bake at 350F for 25 minutes.
- Do the tooth-pick test around 20-24 minutes to see if they cook a little quickly due to oven variations. Once the tooth pick comes out clean pull them from the oven, remove muffins from the tin and allow to cool on a wire cooling rack.
- Dig in!
3 Tbsp cream cheese [or yogurt cream cheese]
1/2 tsp honey
1 Tbsp crushed walnuts
1/4 cup powdered sugar
a dash of cinnamon
a few drops of vanilla
whisk together and top with a sprinkle of crushed walnuts
Paired alongside the cinnamon, carrots and coconut it gives the muffins a hint of apple pie flavor without overpowering the other ingredients.
serving suggestion: drizzle with a little bit of honey walnut glaze and top with a sprinkle of shredded coconut and crushed walnuts. peanut butter and honey makes an amazing topping too! or simply enjoy them straight-up for breakfast the next morning — they taste even better the next day!
to store wrap each cooled muffin in saran wrap and pile them in an air-tight container. dig in the following morning and do a little happy dance around your kitchen while you’re at it =) thanks for that!