Savory Stuffed Sweet Potatoes

Another post about sweet potatoes?!

Ummm… yeah!

True Life:  I used to hate sweet potatoes.
Not just hate…. but loathe.  I basically would rather have eaten sand than a sweet potato.
I even gave them first billing on the EW List I compiled when I first started blogging.
These days, however, we’re pretty hot and heavy.

“If you’re going to take that up to your room you better leave the door OPEN! kind of hot and heavy.  I should expect a nice orange glow of a tan any day now b/c of the sheer volume of these things I put away each week.  If you told me a year ago I would be this head over heels I would have laughed in your face.  If you told me this 6 months ago… I would have insisted I only like them in french fry form.  Yet now… now I’ll fight you for the last sweet potato in the grocery store.  Life is funny like that.
Savory Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Pin It

So did I have a point with all this?  Yes!  Make these!  After tweeting/instagramming [that’s a word right?] about a zillion of these babies, I decided they needed another post to call their own.  They’re kind of a big deal in my kitchen these days.  Especially this one.

healthy spicy savory stuffed sweet potato

So… do you want to get in on the action? [say yes!]
Here are some of my favorite savory add-ons to get you started!

black beans

bell peppers
tortilla chip strips
sliced sweet mini peppers
cabot habanero cheddar
green onion
chia seeds
If you look at the list sideways it kiiiind of looks like a dumbbell  =)
healthy spicy savory stuffed sweet potato black beans
And for funsies, here are a few of my favorite combos:
arugula feta sweet potatoes
arugula feta sweet potatoes
Fluffy baked sweet potato topped with organic baby arugula and freshly crumbled feta cheese.
It’s beyond simple yet purely delicious!

arugula feta sweet potatoes
 Cheesy Salsa Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
black beans, salsa shredded chicken, green onion, cheese, cilantro, green onion, greek yogurt and sriracha

Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Use your favorite beef, turkey, or veggie chili and pile on the toppings!

Sweet Potato Bruschetta
bell peppers, cucumber, tomatoes, onion, basil, feta and a balsamic drizzle

As you can see, there are a zillion and one ways to stuff a sweet potato!

What’s your favorite combo?

Comments

1. Dbrow814 says

I used to be the same way! I hated sweet potatoes for a passion but about 2 years ago I fell in love and it has been the greatest thing ever. Give it to me any way… french fry form, chips, mashed, regular. yum yum yum!

2. Tera says

What do you do with Chia seeds before you put them on sweet potatos? I’ve only eaten them plain so far (they’re pretty delish on their own) but I definitely need to try out some of your ideas!

3. Stephanie Carlson says

I love sweet potatoes and black beans, but never would’ve thought of putting them together. Can’t wait to try this combination! Maybe with some jalapenos? Great post – thank you for sharing!

4. Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table says

I just roasted one and ate with with the coconut nut butter Sarah (Smart kitchen) made it.  I swooned.  And then went back for seconds. :)

Sweet potatoes rock.

I’m really into black beans and sweet potatoes because of YOU!!! I heard a fun fact the other day that your taste buds change every 7 years so I guess your tongue finally hit the on button for the sweet potato switch. Aren’t you glad? :)

I’m usually a sea salt & organic butter kinda gal (kind of blah right?!), but your loaded sweet taters have been on my list to try for quite a while now….in fact I bought a can of black beans, some sweet taters and some guacamole earlier this week so I could eat this! (I have a feeling a pic will be landing on Instagram very shortly :)

7. Hesperleigh says

OMG That picture. I almost licked the computer screen. At work. You’re going to get me fired!

Also, there is a restaurant sort of near me that makes sweet potato and black bean burritos. It is heavenly.

It IS funny how things change. In middle school I was the girl who packed an entire lunchbox of nothing but Little Debbie snacks (not kidding). And now, I’m the one in my family who’s always finding ways to make recipes healthier!

9. Nikki @ lifeafterswimming.com says

Oh girl I am totally the same way! I used to despise the things and now I can’t get enough!

I feel like I hate sweet potatoes too. I can’t remember the last time I had one but I do remember not liking them. Did you just like them all of a sudden? Maybe I should be adventurous and try them again? I want to eat that picture.

“If you look at that list sideways it kindddaaa looks like a dumbbell” – you’re so hilarious but I actually thought that even before I read that sentence haha! Funny how our minds work. Thanks for the post, I love sweet potatoes – always have – but rarely eat them as a baked potato. Usually I mash them into things or have them in fries or cubes. I love this idea of things to top it with so I can start just eating them on their own! I actually bought a whole bag from the store this week just with that in mind. Thanks girl!

I love making a mini sweet potato casserole in a baked sweet potato.  I top with a tiny bit of margarine, brown sugar, cinnamon, and maybe a marshmallow or two…not the healthiest, but it’s like Thanksgiving mid year :)

I love a good stuffed sweet potato and your photo is making me want one right now!  I sometimes scoop out the orange flesh and mix it with some low fat sour cream, herbs, maybe some leftover cooked ground beef, if I have any.  Then I top it with sauteed spinach, some low fat cheddar and pop the whole thing under the broiler for a few minutes.  Delicious. :)

Your timing is so perfect.  I have been CRAVING a sweet potato for the past few days!  I’m going to consider this a sign and go buy me a few HUGE sweeties this afternoon.  😀

15. Sonya says

haha love the dumbell comment :) and thanks for this list, im still only liking them in french fry form, trying to broaden my horizons and all.

Sweet potatoes are one of my FAVE foods. Honestly, I love them plain or turned into fries. My favorite toppings would be black beans and cottage cheese. The cottage cheese turns a little gooey when it mixes with the hot sweet potato. YUM!!

I adore sweet potatoes like everybody else. When I make them at home I usually do 1 of 3 things: bake them then top them with a teeny pat of REAL butter and a sprinkling of either pumpkin pie spice or plain cinnamon and salt OR I’ll bake them, mash them with greek yogurt, cinnamon, and salt OR I’ll go all out and bake them, split them open, fill them with a handful of mini marshmallows then broil them until the marshmallows are toasted *Pure Perfection*

18. Becky says

My Hubby and I are in love with sweet potatoes, too.  Besides the fact that they are have good carbs, they taste so good.  We cut them in planks, and grill them, with all of that caramelized goodness. We’ll have to try the stuffed version, now.

Congrats on the Top 9 today!

I LOVE sweet potatoes! I recently received an ‘eCookbook’ with various recipes made of Maple syrup (I actually adopted a Maple tree with Rouge maple..a cool site!!). One of the recipe was for sweet potatoes…made with Organic Maple Syrup! It gives an incredible sweet taste…I would eat these potatoes every day!! Thanks for sharing!

20. Sarah @ Snixykitchen says

I love loaded baked potatoes, but I’ve never made one with a sweet potato. I LOVE sweet potatoes too, so I’ll have to snag a few next time I’m at the market and stuff them with delicious add ins! Thanks for the idea :)

21. Maranda - fellow veggie-lover says

I am new to your blog and loving every sentence! I just had to share that I too was a long time hater of the dreaded sweet potato. I believe this was because they were always served in the style of their namesake – SWEET! Now however, I know the wonders of the savory sweet potato. My favorite is to make a twice baked broccoli & cheese stuffed sweet potato with Greek yogurt and salt & pepper. I will also make it with anything mexican. Thanks for your ideas!