Veg Pledge Progress + WIAW #65

So today is the two-week mark of the Veg Pledge Challenge!
Here’s a little recap of how I’ve been fairing so far.
And by little, I mean ridiculously long =)

This challenge was all about stepping out of my comfort zone and starting a new routine!

The first plan of attack was to sneak the extra cup into my breakfasts since, more often than not, they tend to be the meal with the least amount of veggies.  Rotating between veggie scrambles, veg-ed up egg and cheese sandwiches, and fruity spinach smoothies quickly became my go-to breakfasts.  Though some mornings I still had greek yogurt with granola, the majority of my breakfasts got a veggie boost.
Another area that needed a little veggie love was in the snack department  Typical snacks for me have always been bananas, clementines, cheddar crackers, 1/2 peanut butter + jelly sandwiches, edamame, and greek yogurt with granola.  Though they’re all great choices, I wanted to find a way to incorporate more vegetables into my snacking routine.

Veggie chips and puffs, steam-able frozen veggies, homemade kale chips, and baked zucchini cups replaced the sandwiches and crackers I had previously been snacking on. Lately I’ve had a major craving for bell pepper slices and hummus lately so I think those will be my next snacking obsession.  Ooh!  And I’ve still been snacking on edamame sprinkled with cayenne pepper + sea salt… just not as often as before.  I’m a big believer in moderation and, frankly, I was getting a little out of hand with the edamame!  I love my veggies but sometimes you’ve got to break-up and date around a bit.  How else would the other veggies get any action?

In another attempt to keep the veg love going, I decided to turn into a lean, mean, guacamole-making machine.  I literally pair it with everything.  It’s rich, buttery amazingness rounds out each meal with a healthy dose of fat and my complexion has been LOVING it!  There are a number of reasons why I eat the way I do, but I’d be lying if I said my looks weren’t one of them.  I like my skin soft and my hair shiny… any only the nutrient dense foods will do!  Since starting this challenge, I’ve eaten a a small avocado pretty much every day!  Salads… Scrambled Eggs… Grilled Cheese… Tacos… They all get the guac treatment lately.
Yes you read that right — I had guac with my scrambled eggs for breakfast!
all’s fair in love and war veggies.

Though this is my FAVORITE way to eat it lately:

So, in a nut shell, two weeks down — two weeks to go!  Whoo!!!

The Veg Pledge challenge that I signed on for with the Foodbuzz Tastemaker’s Program and veggie-gurus Green Giant was only for two weeks but, as you know, I take veggie love very very seriously =)  So I hope you’ll continue the challenge with me all month long!  This post was sponsored by Green Giant and, as you know, the veggie insanity is all my own doing.  I think we could all benefit from an extra cup [or more!] of vegetables each day and I’ll continue to try to make them as fun and delicious as possible, so you will enjoy the pants off them!  Veg Pledging it up has challenged me to seek out more veggies, more variety, and ultimately, more nutrients!  I feel absolutely amazing and plan on keeping this veggie streak alive long after April is over =)
So keep serving up that extra cup [of veggies!]
[breakfast] water with lemon, scrambled eggs with fresh fruit, and black coffee [snack] eaten-too-fast-to-photograph veggie chips and kombucha [lunch] tostada-style leftover lentil-veggie tacos [snack] guacamole mixed with jalapeno-onion salsa and tortilla chips + water [dinner]  a random combo of eats: a veggie burger on a whole grain pita, 1 serving of Green Giant Broccoli Mac and Cheese, water, and a random banana [I needed something sweet!]
Happy What I Ate Wednesday!

Peas and Crayons

How are you serving up your extra cup of veggies?
Want to join in on the fun?

Comments

1. Sprint2theTable says

I feel you on the edamame obsession.  I can’t get enough lately!  I’ve been grabbing handfuls from the freezer to snack on.

You have to try avocado in your smoothie.  Just trust me. :)

I have to be honest, I’ve never gotten “into” edamame the way most people seem to. It’s not that I don’t like it…just not craveable.

Guac on the other hand? Well, let’s not even TALK about that. ;)

3. Meg says

Ok girl, my favs ever are avocado and sweet potato. DEFINITELY making that stuffed sweet potato! Oh my goodness what an amazing idea! XO

Your sweet potato looks wonderful with the black beans and guacamole on it!  I always forget to get them when I shop.  I need to buy some.

Another point, Jenn.  You might mention to the WIAW participants that they need to make their blogs more user friendly in order to get more comments.  Some of them don’t have the “name/url” option when I try to comment and trying as hard as I can, I can’t seem to leave a comment.  Just a suggestion, but I like to comment on as many blogs as possible and it gets frustrating between that and the Captcha thing.  Thanks, Sweetie!!

I need to get back on the sweet potato train! I love meals like that…Also your tacos look so DELISH! Happy Hump Day Darling and have a wonderful day…Thanks always for hosting! You ROCK! xoxo

I go through lots of avocados too, and love pairing them with eggs and tomatoes, yum!  I haven’t been doing nearly as well as you with that extra cup of veggies… breakfast and snacks could definitely be better, thanks for the inspiration to work on this!

7. macnic says

Man, I wish I could eat avocado – it turns my stomach though. :(. I have to get back on the baked sweet potato train.

8. Kristen says

I have been on an avocado kick lately, too! It’d delicious diced on top of greek yogurt w cinnamon, honey and granola. I also love it in the mini chopper w a little greek yogurt, garlic, s&p, and (if I have any around) some fresh herbs. It’s like healthy Ranch.

9. Lauren says

Guac and eggs a great combo (though I’m lazy and just slice an avocado). Love the challenge to veg up breakfast.

10. MassachusEATS says

Eggs & guac pair SO well together! I like smashing some avo on top of wheat toast and then topping that off with egg whites – yum!

SO GOOD RIGHT!? The second one is more plot filler [it gets the ball rolling on more amazing things to come I think] but its really action packed! I’m DYING for the third! The cliff-hanger is just ridiculously torturous ;) Before I fall was really good too!!!

I too am a fellow guacamole fiend. I can’t get enough of the stuff! Looking forward to moving to SoCal so I can gorge myself with avocados on the cheap. LOL