Easy Asparagus Fries :: Baked NOT Fried!
- ½ C flour
- 1 C panko
- ½ tsp salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends cut off
- Cooking spray
- Pre-heat oven to 450.
- Whisk together flour, panko, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together eggs and milk.
- Dip the asparagus one by one in the egg and milk mixture, then in the panko mixture, and repeat one more time.
- Place the batter-coated veggies on a cookie rack over a foil-lined baking sheet. Spray with cooking spray.
- Place in oven until browned, flipping halfway through. Once the asparagus is flipped, coat with cooking spray again.
- Cooking time will vary, but mine took about 3 minutes on each side.
These crispy panko-encrusted stems can be eaten with your hands and dipped in Heinz 57, if you so choose. Personally, I think they are wonderful all by their lonesome. This method can be used with lots of veggies to kick up the flavor and texture a bit!