[Recipe Quickie] Arugula Pesto

2 tablespoons of toasted pine nuts +/or walnuts [I use a little of each]
3-4 tablespoons of olive or grape seed oil
1 1/2 cups arugula
1 clove of garlic, smashed [roasted if possible. so good!]
1/2 tbsp lime juice
a heaping 1/2 cup of freshly grated parmesean cheese
a pinch of kosher salt, pepper and garlic powder

along w/ red pepper flakes and an extra pinch of parm to garnish <3
adapted from Sunshine and Smile

Get Cooking!

Preheat oven or toaster oven to 350F.  Toast nuts on a foil lined baking sheet for approx 8-10 minutes or until you start to smell their toasty deliciousness.  Give them a rough chop and toss them in your food processor.  Add all your ingredients and pulse until thoroughly mixed.  You’ll need to scrape the sides and push the mixture down once or twice if you’re using a large-ish processor.
The batch should yield two servings but if you make a larger portion, make sure you keep it uber air-tight when storing for later.  Pesto browns at lightning speed, store leftovers in saran wrap with the air pressed out.
arugula pesto cheese tortellini
Spoon over warm, cheesy tortellini, brush onto crusty french bread topped with fresh tomatoes, or slather on tender salmon fillets for a delish and flavorful dish.

This pesto is also fantastic mixed with a little bit of creamy alfredo sauce or marscarpone cheese and tossed with a giant bowl of pasta and veggies.  Mix in portobellos mushrooms, spinach, broccoli and top with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes and a dusting of parmesan.
What’s your favorite dish to add pesto to?
[Here's mine]

Comments

1. Jamie @ Thrifty Veggie Mama says

Yummy! I have all the stuff to make this so it just found a place on my menu. Maybe with some roasted veggies and tofu.

Seriously…IF I ever do get my lazy butt out there for a visit…you better guard your props, because I would totally steal those plates right out from under you! Can you believe I used to hate pesto? Well, I think I said I hated it because I was scared of the fat content…and I think I just recently developed a full appreciation for basil. Never tried it with arugula. I started out making it with spinach. Actually, now that I think of it…the first tim I ever made it was also my first time making/tasting spaghetti squash not long after finding blogworld! Amazing how tastes change. Years ago, I wouldn’t have even DREAMED of trying some of my weirdo combinations that I can’t live without today! Lol

3. TheMrsatSuccessAlongtheWeigh says

I don’t use pesto but I need to start, I see so many awesome recipes like this using it but I love that this one uses arugula!

Oooh Jenn! You’re already making me hungry for lunch! This sounds really good and healthy! I love finding new ways to make pesto that’s different from the norm of basil! My favorite thing to add pesto to is sammiches! Nothing like putting some of that on each slice instead! So much more robust flavor. Thanks for sharing!

Great idea to use arugula in the pesto – sounds delicious! I don’t use pesto very often for some reason (and it tastes great without the cheese), but it does remind me of spring. And St Patty’s Day. And goes great with your WIAW Green Theme! ;)

This looks delish.  I am on such an arugula kick lately, I have even planted seeds and they are coming up.  Yeah!  When they are ready to eat I am going to make this pesto.  I be the bite from arugula is very tasty.  Have a wonderful day.

Arugula is vying for my favorite green at the moment — ohmygosh I have been missing out my entire life!!! Love that its in my life now =) Hope you love it girly! very peppery and garlicky so a teeny bit gives a ridic amount of flavor! mm

I kind of have a thing for tortellini.   :)  Now I want this for dinner instead of what I had planned.  :(  Pesto has such a fresh and unique flavor!  I love to spread it over garlic toast but I also want to try those mozzarella balls!