Healthy Quinoa Fried Rice Remix

Quinoa Fried Rice
It happened.  I OD-ed on carrots and broccoli.

We were hot and heavy for so long, but right now I can’t stand to look at either one of them. [It’s not you… it’s me.  Really!]  While I take a mini hiatus to collect myself and date other veggies, I decide to re-mix the dish I just can’t get enough of!

Quinoa Fried Rice Remix

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Recipe type: entree
Serves: 2
Ingredients
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 1.5 cups filtered water or veggie broth
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • a handful [or two!] of bean sprouts
  • a handful [or two!] of snow peas
  • ¼ white onion, diced
  • ½ cup sweet peas [I always have a steamfresh bag handy!]
  • garlic powder, parsley, and red pepper flakes, to taste
  • 2 large eggs [optional]
  • oil or butter for sauteeing
  • 1-2 tsp low sodium soy sauce
  • 1-2 tsp white vinegar
  • salt and pepper, to taste
Instructions
  1. If you're fairly new to quinoa, here's a step by step fluffy keen-wahhh tutorial for perfect quinoa every time.
  2. Rinse a cup of quinoa in a sieve/strainer, drain, and allow to dry on a few sheets of paper towels. Drying time will vary, I usually rinse, strain, and just walk away.
  3. Once dry, toss quinoa into a pot and allow it to toast on medium heat for just a minute or so, while stirring. You don't quite want to brown it, just a light toasting.
  4. Next add 1.5 cups of water [or broth!] to your quinoa and bring to a boil.
  5. Once the bubbles start flying, reduce to low, cover, and simmer for approximately 12 minutes.
  6. Feel free to add a pinch of garlic powder and a splash of soy sauce while the quinoa simmers to lock in some extra flavor.
  7. After 12 minuets, remove lid, fluff with a fork, and set aside. If it's still a little liquid-y let it simmer for another minute or so until it's nice and fluffy.
  8. While you're waiting for the quinoa to simmer to fluffy perfection, prep your veggies! This will vary a little bit depending on whether or not you grab fresh or frozen veggies. I had fresh onion, sprouts, and snow peas but frozen peas. The peas went in the microwave for a few minutes while I sauteed the remainder of the vegetables on medium-high in a little grape seed oil [butter works too!].
  9. Add the minced garlic towards the end, once the veggies are almost fully cooked, to prevent burning.
  10. If you're adding fluffy scrambled eggs to the mix, scoot the veggies to the side, crack eggs directly onto your skillet and scramble.
  11. Toss in the quinoa, soy sauce, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste. If you're a fan of the acidity of vinegar, you can add equal parts white vinegar and soy sauce. Unsure? Use 2 parts soy sauce and 1 part vinegar and work your magic from there! Taste test, adjust seasoning + sauce as needed and refrain from gobbling straight from the skillet! Er... I may have burned myself doing this ;)
  12. Serve with a little extra soy sauce and white vinegar if you'd like and, as always, enjoy!
Brontosaurus Chefs skip the egg for a deliciously vegan dish!  or add  fried tofu!
T-Rex Chefs  Enjoy as is or add some protien to the mix.
Glutensaurus-Free?  grab some bragg liquid aminos or GF soy sauce to seal the deal

Feeling saucy? Drizzle this dish with a little extra soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, or sriracha!

Vegetarian Quinoa Fried Rice Remix
Healthy Vegetarian Quinoa Fried Rice Remix
quinoa fried rice
Healthy Veggie Quinoa Fried Rice Remix

So. Freaking. Good.

The best part?  It works great with anything you have on hand!

Fresh veggies, frozen veggies, and even leftovers from last night’s dinner =)

This healthy quinoa fried rice does it all!

Veggie Quinoa Fried Rice
Have you OD-ed on any foods lately and declared a temporary break-up?
What did you replace it with?

Comments

Looks good! I OD-ed on peanuts last month…just can’t eat anymore! Thankfully I’ve still got cashews & the rare spoon of peanut butter!

2. Robyn :) says

I think I have Od’d on fried fast book as it has not been appealing to me the past week.  Which is great!  Replacing them with fresh healthy foods!

3. Ashleysh22 says

Holy crap this looks tasty. Minus the eggs cause im weird and dont like eggs in my food ( though i do eat plain scrambled eggs with milk and butter) … Question! *raises hand* have you ever made quinoa in a rice cooker before? I have a rice cooker and I am just curious if it would work.

Hey girl Hayyy! Thank you!!!! Skip the eggs entirely! And go for it with the rice cooker! My friend makes it that way — I forget if she uses a teeny less liquid than normal or not. I would try it out both ways and see which one is fluffier — 1cup quinoa to 2 cups liquid in the rice cooker or 1 cup quinoa to 1.5 cups liquid in the cooker! Let me know! =) I wish I owned one! xoxo

5. Ami says

I think I sometimes OD just on salad in general– I know there’s a million ways to mix it up but I tend to get stuck in a rut and put in the same things each time!  Since I am the only one eating them, I have to also make sure I use up all the veggies I have before they go bad, which is not great for variety!

Oof I’ve been there too! I start stuffing the salad into things when that happens which makes it a little more fun — veggie salad toasted subs and salad wraps with dip instead of dressing. That usually helps! =) Hope you’r’e having a great weekend Ami!

7. Sprint2theTable says

How can you get tired of carrots?! ;)

This looks sooooo good.  I want to go it with a tofu scramble!

8. TheMrsatSuccessAlongtheWeigh says

This looks super yummy and for some random reason the Mr had me buy bean sprouts today at the grocery so now I know I’m gonna use ‘em!  :-)

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I am in lurve with your original recipe…Now you’ve gone and outawesomed yourself;)  Definitely trying this one soon! LOVE IT:)

WOAH this sounds amazing. Like seriously. Why have I not thought of subbing in quinoa for rice? And even if i did… I wouldn’t have known how to make a fried rice kind of thing out of it ;) haha

11. Emily says

YUM! Isn’t quinoa the best? This sounds phenomenal. I always seem to forget about peas- I need to start incorporating them into my meals more often!
    I recently OD-ed on grape tomatoes. So random but I was eating them like candy (all day, every day) for a really long time and now I can’t even stand the sight of them! I’m sure they’ll reappear soon though. (:

I keep meaning to ask/tell you – I have been reading that you toast/brown the quinoa before adding the water….I have never done this!  Does it help it taste better?  I always forget to try your way of cooking it… It’s like how you do it with Rice A Roni eh?    Anyways….just curious.
    P.S. How are you these days??? we haven’t chatted in forever girlie!  I’m back to normal now that Carnival is over and all is right with the world again.  LOL

xoxo from Trinidad

13. Jaime @ Jaim's Kitchen says

It’s fate! I just got my first bag of quinoa today from Waitrose as part of my ‘cook something for the first time’ challenge to myself this week :) Thanks for sharing!

Lol I don’t know what Rice A Roni is!!! Explain explain! =) The toasting gives a little extra nuttiness to the quinoa as well as nixes all extra moisture so it can cook to fluffy perfection. I have made it both ways and I just adore the toasting so! My friend used to tell me to cook it like rice but I never loved it like that.. it was always a little runny and had an off texture about it. Ooh and always rinse too! nixes bitterness!

I can’t wait until carrots, broccoli and I can get hot and heavy again. I think I miss them already.. but its far too soon to go back

I should wait a few days before calling them so I don’t seem desperate =)

16. Jaime @ Jaim's Kitchen says

No snow peas but I have bean sprouts. Love both recipes! Am definitely going to try it this week, will let you know how it goes :)

17. char m says

YUM. I was just thinking about how I wanted to make fried rice with leftovers, but this sounds SO much more appealing!! And I’d be totally add those extra handfuls of beans ;)

Wow! This look INCREDIBLE. I always love learning new ways to get my quinoa on! Thank you very much!

I have gone overboard with a food before, but right now I can’t think of anything. I must be in good standing with my eats. :)

19. Kerrie Nollette says

Just had to share, for my pea hating husband I sub frozen shelled edemame.  It is delicious! Going to put the quiona variation on the menu for this week.

20. MommaG says

We love stir-fry but I’m trying to get away from white rice.  I will have to try substituting quinoa instead!