Chopped salmon salad with fluffy yellow rice, tons of fresh veggies and a creamy curry dressing that will have you swooning into your plate for more! Yum!
When the marine is away the blogger gets to play!
I have a few coping mechanisms that help me feel better about the extreme awfulness otherwise known as a deployment. Some are normal and some are… well, a little odd.
Wearing his T-shirts and boxers around the house? Totally normal! Sniffing his old, perpetually jet fuel-soaked flight suits when I open his closet? Borderline insane! I’ve also amped up the me-time with my spankin’ new fitness regimen including spinning, power pump, and yoga, reading everything in sight (I had to put myself on a book budget it got so out of hand!), decorating the new house, painting, and of course blogging.
I’ve also moved past the single-gal tendency to eat things like pizza or cereal for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and set a goal to make at least one fancy-schmantzy meal for myself each day.
So even though I had my go-to granola + greek for breakfast and a PB+J sandwich for dinner… my rockin’ lunch was dressed to impress…
Chopped Salmon Salad
Chopped Salmon Salad with Creamy Curry Dressing
Yield 1 salad
- 1 wild Alaskan salmon filet, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup of yellow saffron rice
- lettuce [romaine, spring mix, etc...]
- sliced tomatoes
- crumbled feta
- oil for searing
- garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric, paprika salt and pepper, to taste
YUMMY VEGGIE ADD ONS:
- sliced avocado or guacamole
- asparagus spears
- black olives
CREAMY CURRY VINAIGRETTE:
- 3 TBSP fresh or store bought mayo or plain yogurt
- 1/2 tsp of curry powder, plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp of white vinegar
- a pinch of mustard powder [optional]
- a pinch of garlic and onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the yellow rice, grab a store-bought packet or whip up your own! Combine 1/2 cup rice [bonus points if you use brown!] with 1 cup of vegetable broth, and a pinch of salt, pepper, turmeric, garlic + onion powder and a few strands of saffron and cook rice as per usual. Unless you're using microwave rice, this will take exactly 20 minutes for fluffy fragrant rice.
- Next move on to the salmon.
- Season both sides with garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric, paprika salt and pepper. Feel free to sneak in a little cayenne pepper into the mix for a kick! [I can't help but add it to everything!]
- Pop the salmon on the grill or try out this sear-bake combo: preheat your oven or toaster oven to 450 F. Pour a little bit of oil into a pan and wait for it to heat up. Once hot, add salmon and sear on both sides for approx 2 minutes each. With a spatula, move the salmon to a foil lined baking sheet and bake for approximately 5-10 minutes depending on thickness. You should notice a delish golden crust on the outside and a tender flaky inside.
- For the sauce, whisk together mayo [or yogurt!], vinegar and spices and serve room temperature. You can dip your fork in it and then dig in to your chop chop or go ahead and drizzle it all over the place. Its divine!
- In a nutshell -- cook the rice, then the protein, chop veggies, crumble cheese and get your layer on! I opted for green, then rice, more greens, veggies, salmon, creamy curry sauce, and a light dusting of feta cheese on top.
- Commence faceplant.
This dish is the long lost twin of my original chop-chop-inspired creation and pretty much rocks my world! I make these rice-bowl-meets-salad hybrids all the time [chicken for P and veggie for moi] but why I waited so long to put a salmon spin on the dish… I’ll never know! I’m already planning on making it again this week! So good! The salmon had the perfect flavor-packed crust to it with a tender flaky middle and was absolute perfection paired with the crisp veggies, warm, fluffy rice and creamy curry sauce. No more boring salmon! Ever!