Chop-Chop Style Salmon

Salmon Chop Chop with Creamy Curry Dressing

When the marine is away the blogger gets to play!  Well, sorta.  I have a few coping mechanisms that help me feel better about the extreme awfulness otherwise known as a deployment.  Some are normal and some are… well, a little odd.  Wearing his T-shirts and boxers around the house?  Totally normal!  Sniffing his old, perpetually jet fuel-soaked flight suits when I open his closet?  Borderline insane!  I’ve also amped up the me-time with my spankin’ new fitness regimen [spinning, zumba, + boot camp], reading everything in sight [I had to implement a book budget!], decorating the new house, painting, and [of coooourse] blogging.

I’ve also moved past the single-gal tendency to eat things like pizza or cereal for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and set a goal to make at least one fancy-schmantzy meal for myself each day.  So even though I had my go-to granola + greek for breakfast and a PB+J sandwich for dinner… my rockin’ lunch was dressed to impress:

Salmon Chop Chop with Creamy Curry Dressing
Chop-Chop® Style Salmon
[whips up easily for one, two, or more!]

What’s in it?
1 wild Alaskan salmon filet, fresh or frozen
1/2 cup of yellow saffron rice
lettuce [romaine, spring mix, etc...]
sliced tomatoes
crumbled feta
oil for searing
garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric, paprika salt and pepper

yummy veggie add-ons

sliced avocado or guacamole
asparagus spears
black olives

Creamy Curry Vinaigrette
3 Tbsp fresh or store bought mayo or plain yogurt
1/2 tsp of curry powder, plus more to taste
1/2 tsp of white vinegar
a pinch of mustard powder [optional]
a pinch of garlic and onion powder
S+P to taste

Salmon Chop Chop with Creamy Curry Dressing
Get Chopping!
For the yellow rice, grab a store-bought packet or whip up your own!  Combine 1/2 cup rice [bonus points if you use brown!] with 1 cup of vegetable broth, and a pinch of salt, pepper, turmeric, garlic + onion powder and a few strands of saffron and cook rice as per usual.
Next move on to the salmon.  Season both sides with garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric, paprika salt and pepper.  Feel free to sneak in a little cayenne pepper into the mix for a kick! [I can't help but add it to everything!]  Pop the salmon on the grill or try out this sear-bake combo:  Preheat your oven or toaster oven to 450F.  Pour a little bit of oil into a pan and wait for it to heat up.  Once hot, add salmon and sear on both sides for approx 2 minutes each.  With a spatula, move the salmon to a foil lined baking sheet and bake for approximately 5-10 minutes depending on thickness.  You should notice a delish golden crust on the outside and a tender flaky inside.

For the sauce, whisk together mayo [or yogurt!], vinegar and spices and serve room temperature.  You can dip your fork in it and then dig in to your chop chop or go ahead and drizzle it all over the place.  Its divine!
In a nutshell — cook the rice, then the protein, chop veggies, crumble cheese and get your layer on!  I opted for green, then rice, more greens, veggies, salmon, creamy curry sauce, and a light dusting of feta cheese on top.

Salmon Chop Chop with Creamy Curry Dressing

So… How was it?

This dish is the long lost twin of my original chop-chop-inspired creation and pretty much rocks my world!  I make these rice-bowl-meets-salad hybrids all the time [chicken for P and veggie for moi] but why I waited so long to put a salmon spin on the dish…  I’ll never know!  I’m already planning on making it again this week!  So good!  The salmon had the perfect flavor-packed crust to it with a tender flaky middle and was  absolute perfection paired with the crisp veggies, warm, fluffy rice and creamy curry sauce.  No more boring salmon!  Ever! =)

What’s your all-time favorite dressing?  I’m still riding my curry obsession!
Then make these…
Seared Salmon Healthy Fish TacosChicken Kitchen Mexican Chop Chop
often

Comments

Um, YUM! This looks amazing. I’m always looking for new salmon recipes!! Maybe you could whip us up a recipe for tilapia, too??
    Thinking of you Jen! I hope this deployment just flies by!

Great attitude!  The time will fly by keeping so busy.  Thinking of you, I’m a military pilot’s wife too, totally get it.

What a great salad dinner entree! I’ve been Weight Watcher dieting and this is right up my alley. Great nutrition and it doesn’t feel like ‘slim’ food!

This is exactly how I act when my husband is away.  Totally love cereal but it really isn’t healthy as the one and only food group.  One meal a day is a great goal.  Love the salad pile on photo montage.  :)

5. Andi says

When my hubby was in the military I was fortunate that he only deployed once and for only 3 months but I totally understand how you are feeling! Hang in there!  I ate a lot of ice cream and popcorn for dinner, this looks and sounds way better!

Looks delish!  Also, if you’re looking for new books without spending a fortune, try paperbackswap.com.  It’s a great way to get rid of old books and get some new ones– I’ve become mildly addicted.  =)

Sounds like a great salad!
    How long is deployment? I go craaazy when my wife is away… she used to work as a camp counselor over the summers and I was a picture of misery.

8. Blonde Glambition says

This meal looks delicious, well minus the salmon, but I could always try a substitution. I’m going to add this to my deployment meal idea list :)

This looks so amazing!  I’ve got a freezer full of salmon that I’ve been looking for different ways to cook and this is just what I need…thanks!!

10. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. says

I think it’s a great idea to treat yourself to a good meal every day! And this looks delish and I love the dressing!

Thanks Courtney!!! I’ll try to get ahold of some good tilapia to recipe test with — its been hard to find decent quality lately for some reason. The salmon is so money though — def try that while I’m on the hunt for good white fishies =) lol

I love the sound of the yoghurt dressing on this.    Because of the combination of rice, protein and vegetables it make the perfect balanced meal.

Oh my gosh, Jenn, this salad looks AMAZING!! It’s so going to be dinner tonight! I think I have everything I need. Thanks for the inspiration…I want to eat it right now! xoxo

14. Julia Mestas says

I  like your rule of one fancy schmantzy meal a day.  In fact, I’ve started to try and implement that myself.  Today I’m driving home for lunch to make a fancy little lunch and I might just have to make the curry vinaigrette to dump over whatever it is I end up making.  It looks so good!

I wish 3 months was the max time they could take them.. that’s hard enough as it is — but unfortunately they’re mostly longer and more frequent as well… bah. I cant wait for time to slip away so I can see him again!!!! popcorn doesnt sound like a bad idea ;)

What a great vinaigrette recipe! I’m going to have to bookmark this to try with other spices for my salads as well — I really like the idea of using yogurt instead of anything oil-based.