Veggie Love + [WIAW #55]

Yesterday I announced that this month What I Ate Wednesday is getting wrapped up in the month of LOVE with a theme.  Nope, no Valentine’s Day shenanigans here — this month is all about loving your VEGGIES!

Peas and Crayons

This week and for the rest of February: Veg-ify your WIAW posts!  I’m challenging you all to show off what you love most about vegetables in your What I Ate Wednesday posts as well as favorite ways to prepare them, your go-to dishes and snacks, and anything else you want share about the wonderful world of vegetables.  Of course that also means I want you to EAT them too =)  Hope you’re up for the challenge!

what i ate wednesday sushi stir fry tofu froyo
-[Saturday's Eats]-
I spent the weekend sleeping over at my friend Kim’s house + had a blast!  We went to lunch at one of our favorite sushi restaurants, took her kiddos to fro-yo it up before heading to the movies, and cooked up an insanely good veggie stir fry dinner.  I forgot to snap some of my foodie photos which is a surefire sign of a fun weekend!
[breakfast] scrambled eggs + black coffee  [lunch] sake sushi and unsweet tea [snack] strawberry kombucha + froyo trio: toasted coconut with kiwi, chocolate with sprinkles + cake batter with oreos [movie snacks] a few handfuls of popcorn and a strawberry fruit leather [dinner] stir fry with fried tofu [recipe], shitake mushrooms, onions, snow peas + brown rice [dessert] 2-buck chuck pinot grigio and  chocolate
ummm can we get another look at that sushi?
sushi with asparagus jalapeno avocado cucumber
heav. en.
Sushi might be one of my favorite ways to sneak in extra VEGGIES:
Avocado… Cucumber…   Jalapenos…  Asparagus…
They take a roll from OK to AMAZING =) I even make my own at home!
Sticking with our veggie theme, here are a few ways to get extra veggies while dining out at your favorite sushi spot:
[roll with it] Order a veggie roll to pair with a fish-y one or as your appetizer
[duh, salads!] order a seaweed or ginger veggie salad with your meal
[stir things up] order a colorful veggie stir-fry from the kitchen
[treat yo self] craving something fried? skip tempura shrimp and order a plate of delicious tempura veggies.  tempura sweet potato and broccoli is out-of-this-world delicious!
How are you vegging it up?
[Click Here] if this is your first time participating for tips on how to join <3

Comments

1. Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean says

oreos are a MUST on froyo! i need to get back on the salad train. i’ve been enjoying my veggies in stir fry form lately…but i’ve been missing a nice big salad every once and a while. stay tuned for next week!

2. Toni @ Not Yet A Mommy Blog says

I love the veggie theme! And I’m obsessed with your sushi pictures .. it makes me crave sushi so bad! Have a great WIAW, Jenn :)

3. Jen RenaissanceMa'am says

I’ve never been out for real American froyo, complete with toppings. I used to read these books when I was a pre-teen, where the girls would go out to an ice cream bar and one character would always order up the weirdest combos. (Stevie from The Saddle Club, BTW.) I never understood this phenomenon because we don’t have quite the same kind of dessert places up in Canada. Now that I’m living in Cali I seriously need to go.

Sushi for dinner tonight here, too! I veggied it up with a kappa maki.

Hey, Jenn! I love the veg-it up Idea!  Unfortunately, I wasn’t prepared when I wrote my post last night so mine is pretty standard. However…my posts are pretty much about veggies all the time anyway!  I have 3 weeks to redeem myself…I will be vegging along with everyone!  Great Idea!  Happy WVIAW!!

Wowza! It’s 6:50 a.m. here and you already have 53 entries – AWESOME!!! I love that we’re doing a veggie-filled month of posts – that is easy for me and I hope I’ll get lots of new meal ideas from everyone else!!!

Wow, that sushi looks so good. I am finally able to rejoin your party. I have been so sick with morning sickness all day long. Hopefully it is behind me now!
    I love the new button and theme this month! Thanks Jenn! :-)

7. carrieskoll says

Wow, your sushi looks so yummy!  I’m not sure why it took me so long to find your blog, I see people talking about WIAW all the time.  I’m also a Dietetics student (2nd career for me).  I’m excited to follow your blog.  I’ll join in next week.

8. Pounds4Pennies says

I am  your newest GFC follower. I don’t have any Veggie dishes to share this week, but I will check back. Stop by for a follow back.

That sounds like a super fun weekend! I had sushi just last night; love it! My favourite is yam tempura, avocado and shiitake mushroom roll. Yummay! I get away with the veggie-packed sushi as I’m vegetarian, so I don’t eat fish haha!

Hey Carrie! Nice to “meet” ya! =) Dietetics was my second career too!!! Well… second and a 1/2 if you count my graphics design disaster ;) haha Congrats on making the leap! Such a fabulous subject to study! — So excited to have you join in next week! Let me know if you need any help or have any random wiaw-related questions (or any questions really!) xoxo

I thought I was going to have to go back on my stance as a “vegan with benefits” because sushi cravings hit me hard.

Then I realized, it was really just the sticky (brown, if I can find it) rice and pickled ginger I was craving. ;)

12. MassachusEATS says

I’m still a sushi newbie, having only tried it once in the past year.  But your picture is making me think “I need to get some again SOON!”  Gorgeous!  Thanks for hosting, as always :)

Where do you go to get your sushi in jville? We always go to same place but our sushi is never this pretty! My husband had never had sushi before we met and now he is obsessed so when we do go out to eat, sushi is usually our pick.

Listen, girlfriend, I DO love my veggies and promise to follow the theme soon but I couldn’t help to not include my shrimp-n-grits and cupcakes on today. HEY! Atleast there are carrots in the carrot cake mini and jalapeño in the shrimp-n-grits and foccacia ;-) I will do better, promise!!

I’m always giving people advice like your advice in this post!!! I tell them just order extra veggies or extra veggie sushi. Get a salad. Just add more veggies to whatever you are making already. Most don’t listen to me!!! LOL! I TRY JENN! I REALLY DO! Help?

Haha I’m glad!!! =) But its hard to give people advice when they don’t desperately want it! Nutrition Counseling for WIC taught me you really can’t do anything but find out what the person wants to change and then help them work on that first. Some really want to love veggies and make new choices at restaurants, some don’t. But they want other things… like fast easy meals, or to lose weight, or to learn to incorporate just one type of veggie in their diets… find out what they want/need and work off of that =) as for trying to convince family to eat healthier…. you can only give them the tools — they have to do the rest, they wont respond to advice unless they ask for it, ya know?

Looks like we were both having a sushi craving this week! :) That stuff looks amazing! All this sushi talk-I called my hubby at work and asked if he wanted “me to take him out for sushi tonight”- I am so sneaky :)

Yea I downloaded Picasa yesterday and made my first collage for today’s WIAW. It looks just like yours which is why I thought you were using Picasa. It’s actually easier than Picnik was because you can flip and resize the photos in anyway you want right in the collage instead of having to flip, save, put into collage, save, etc.

I hope they have something really cool coming out!

19. NetteOnHerWay says

Your pics of food are always so beautifully done. I’m impressed with your photography skills. Mine look like an instant compared to yours! ;) Nice eats!

This all looks so delicious. My husband & I made sushi (not maki) for the first time at home Tuesday and it was fabulous. Definitely going to have to add some jalepeno next time, we love spicy food but never even thought to venture beyond wasabi and spicy chilimayo!