Veggie Loaded Baked Potato Soup [In the Crockpot!]

Veggie

Bacon.

I grew up thinking it was pretty much the best invention ever.  It was one of the first things I learned how to cook and I could make a perfectly crispy strip of bacon with my eyes closed and my hands tied behind my back. [well... in theory]  You can imagine everyone’s surprise when I went full on veggie and swore off the stuff.

But can you imagine my surprise when I realized not only could I not have my favorite sandwich, the ever-glorious BLT, but my favorite soup as well?  It was a little slice of torture!  Restaurant after restaurnt offered up delicious baked potato soup and, every time I asked, I was notified that the bacon was not only a topping, but in the soup recipe itself.  I was devastated.  We’re talking years of rejection.  Slowly but surely I found a delicious meat-less sandwich solution, and now its time to break out the crockpot and tackle the soup! Sorry bacon, I love laughing at how many things you’re in… but you have to get the heck out of my soup ;)

Veggie
Veggie Loaded Baked Potato soup
 creamy potato soup — without the cream!
yields 8 cups

What’s in it?
5 medium/standard-sized russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup finely diced celery [approximately 3 stalks]
1 onion, diced
3 cups of vegetable broth
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup butter [I used salted]
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup sharp cheddar, grated
a few cranks of ground black pepper
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp dried dill (add 1/4 tsp first, taste, then double if you love it!)

[note: I always leave on a little bit of the skin b/c they contain a ton of nutrients.  Also, I try to buy organic potatoes... I feel like they're worth the extra cash monies based on my super-nerdy research]
Toppings
plain greek yogurt or sour cream
grated cheddar cheese
zesty red pepper flakes
chopped green onion
Veggie
T-Rex Chefs I’ll look the other way if you want to sneak bacon on top *covers eyes*
Vegansarus Chefs use your favorite vegan swaps for the dairy ingredients: almond or coconut milk instead of butter or a little bit of your favorite oil for a butter-free richness, non-dairy cheese and maple tempeh bacon for topping… anything that sounds good to you!

Get Cooking!

Chop your veggies and toss em in the pot!  Next add veggie broth, garlic, butter, salt, and pepper.  Set your crockpot to HIGH and cook for 4 hours [or, if you're gone for the day - set it to LOW for 8 hours].  After returning to your slow cooker, you have a very important [ok not that important] decision to make.  Do you want your soup chunky or smooth?  Smooth – use a potato masher.  Chunky – grab a wooden spoon and mash partially.  I went the fabulously chunky route and it came out deliciously thick and hearty.  Ready?  Simply mix in your cheese, spices, and a spoonful or two of green onions.  Taste, season as needed, toss on some toppings, and dig in!  I wound up adding extra dill and a little more garlic powder… The flavor was spot on and I didn’t miss bacon one bit!  Success!
Veggie

Say Cheese!

Why do I use sharp cheddar and parmigiana cheese in this soup?  They’re more flavorfu! This way you can actually taste them in the soup without having to use a boatload of cheese <– aka they save me calories so I can sprinkle a little fabulous cheddah and a dollop of greek yogurt as a garnish before I dive in!  See?  There’s a method to my madness.  Well, sometimes.

So… How was it?

I’m at a loss of words to describe how truly awesome this soup is.  It’s everything I dreamed it could be and I could easily eat it at every meal.  ok, ok — I HAVE been eating it at nearly every meal day after day.  The fact that I’m not even close to being tired of this comforting crockpot wonder is a surefire sign of its amazingness.  Is it still cold where you are?  Make this!  If it’s warm… let me come crash on your couch and I’ll make you a bowl.  We can crank up the AC while we eat it and then hit the beach afterwards =) Tempting, eh?

Potato Oops
Don’t buy super giant mutant potatoes.  You know the ones you look at and wind up with a food baby?  If you use 5 of those you will end up with a crockpot filled to the brim with mashed potatoes.  I am bound by an unspoken sisterly bond to refrain from ratting out the person responsible for this note ;)  Buy normal potatoes.  Hehe!

Between this and the soups below, I’m set for the rest of winter!

Creamy Tomato Soup with Baked Mozzarella BallsCrock-Pot Chicken Tortilla SoupCrockpot Potato Apple Brie SoupPanera Broccoli and Cheese Soup

What’s your favorite soup?

Comments

1. Aileen says

I love following your blog with all of the delicious recipes, and that they are all veggie! I have been looking for a great loaded potato soup. I can’t wait to try this!

*covers eyes*…you’re too cute. (And be sure not to look at me. Sorry! )
    Can you believe I have a crock pot and NEVER use it? It was a wedding present. I’ve been married “a few” years. [cough, cough] I think I made Velveeta with Rotel dip once. ;)

P.S. Your pictures are amazing! :)

That soup sounds outstanding.  I may have to make a vegan version.  Your pictures are phenomenal!

My favorite soup is “Beefless” Stew.  I love the chunky vegetables and it reminds me of my grandmother.  There was not a winter day that the stove did not have some kind of soup simmering away.  The smell of soup would always greet you at her door.  Ahh…memories…

Girrrrrrrrrrrl you need to get that crockpot out and use it on a hectic day! It saves up so much time for weeknight meals and can feed your entire crew chica! =)

and thank you!!!!! <3 coming from you that is the biggest flipping compliment!!!! *swoon*

When I first saw the photo via Foodbuzz I thought I saw bacon bits.  A big yepper when I realized they were hot pepper flakes,  this is fab.  I like how the soup is thick and creamy without the dairy and the toppings are at ones discretion.  Don’t you just love the dill with potatoes.  I love this!

I know it’s funny how some herbs and spices just go together and your’e right you have to have to keep testing.  I tried growing dill last year and had no luck, will try again this year.  I do have arugula up that I planted the seeds on super bowl sunday.  I hate football so that is what I did.

I love the soup recreation! Oddly, I don’t like white potatoes… but I could totally see using this as a base for sweet potato soup.  My favorite soup is Butternut Squash-Apple.  I just finished the last of my pot tonight and was a bit sad.

8. carrieskoll says

Ok. I love soup and I love my crockpot. I love to make a huge batch of soup and freeze it in individual portions. My stash is running low, this one might need to be next up.

I make an awesome chicken soup (Jewish grandmother’s recipe – can’t go wrong with that).

9. carrieskoll says

10. Andi says

YUMMY!!  I love potato based soups, so thick and creamy.  Definitely want to try this.  One of my favorite soups is Panera Breads french onion!

11. Andi says

I dusted off my crockpot earlier this week and had several meals in it…what liberation: prepare dinner in the morning and that slumpy feeling in the evening when I don’t really like eating…a thing of the past. Glad to have one more recipe to try!

Its good with SP too but its just way way superior with regular old potatoes for some reason — its like a memory in a bowl, ya know? Let me know if if passes your son’s soup-hating approval! hehe! It might be thick enough to keep his interest I hope! <3 Plus a pile of toppings always helps!

I made it, and it was soooo good!  I grew up on potatoe soup, and your version was so easy.  Just what I needed this week with all my sick kiddos.  I just put it on, and we had it for lunch.  Thanks:0)

16. Domesticdeadline.blogspot.com says

I have potatoes that need to be used, AND I’ve been thinking that I need to make some potato soup in the crock pot,  This is tomorrow’s dinner at my house
    Emily
    domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

17. gpdrometer says

recipe sounds great, but holy wow you love adverbs. are you 11 years old? you sound like you’re 11 years old.

18. sandi says

totally forgot this was a crock pot recipe and have been cooking it on the stove top the old fashioned way.  the test bite was delish but i am glad you are looking the other way as i add a few crumbles of bacon on top of my greek yogurt!

Wow! I found your blog on Pinterest and I am sooooo happy I did. Your recipes are exactly what I need. I’ve been vegetarian for over 19 years and I occasionally eat seafood now. It’s been hard finding recipes that cater to how I eat and Your site hits it spot on! Thanks and keep up the awesome work!

lovely! I can’t wait! We’re vegetarians and we just started doing weekly dinners with our meat-eating relatives. So this is a perfect compromise! That and the ridiculously yummy lemon bars I just made for dinner tomorrow too.. Thanks!

21. Sheila says

Sounds amazing! I’m going to make this on Friday for a girls night! Are you able to provide any nutrition info on the recipe? One of my cousins is doing the Weight Watchers thing and needs the calorie count etc. Thanks!!

• says

I don’t have a subscription to a calorie calculator and I don’t know which one is best [do you have one you can suggest/refer me to?]. I can, however, look up the main components individually for you if that helps. It will vary based on any add-ons you may choose to include and also the size of the potatoes you use in the recipe but hopefully this will help!

Each medium potato is about 168 calories so about 840 calories total for the potatoes [keep in mind this makes 8 cups of soup and more if you prefer to have it thinner with additional veggie broth]. 1/2 cup of celery is about 8 calories. One large onion is about 60 calories. 1/4 cup of butter is 400 calories. The cheeses total will be about 430 calories but will vary a bit depending on what you choose [the label on your package will help give you an exact number!] Ooh and the herbs/seasoning shouldn’t add any calories =) One thing I won’t have the calories for is the vegetable broth because I don’t know which one you’re using. It’ll be listed on the label if you’re using packaged but I know veggie broth is a light, WW friendly ingredient. I googled it and they predicted about 12 calories per cup and you would use three cups for this recipe. So let’s estimate around 36 calories for the broth.

So if you don’t add any extra cheese or broth we’re lookin at 1,774 calories for 8 cups of soup, which is **[221 calories per cup of soup]** Whoo! Not bad. Ok now I need a nap after that. Math and I are arch enemies.

xoxo
      jenn

ps: feel free to email me if you have any other questions! PEASandCRAYONS [at] gmail [dot] com

22. Anonymous says

I’m so anxious to try this soup. It looks delicious. I’m wondering what you think about substituting the parmesan cheese (my husband and son don’t like it) with nutritional yeast? Also, I have a ton of red potatoes I need to use, could I use them instead?

• says

Will you be skipping the cheddar cheese as well or just nixing the parm? I’d say use additional cheddar or even gouda cheese [smoked or unsmoked] instead of the parmesan but can’t vouch for nutritional yeast since I got really sick off it one time and the smell makes me woozy still. Haha its in my pantry in a bag like a leper right now ;) Red potatoes will work gloriously! I’d say maybe two small/medium red potatoes for every one russet potato that the recipe calls for? If they’re really teeny you might want to do 3 red potatoes for each russet. Since soups are uber forgiving, you will be able to adjust seasonings, broth, veggies and cheese easily, so if you wind up using too many red potatoes you can amp up the rest to compete. My email is PEASandCRAYONS [at] gmail [dot] com if you come up with any further questions or need to pow-wow on subsitutions! xoxo

• Anonymous says

Thanks for the quick reply and great advice. I waited too long for the red potatoes so russett it is. I have all the veggies in the crock pot now. I’m going to use the sharp cheddar, smoked gouda and some vegetarian bacon bits. My mouth is already watering. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

• says

I haven’t, so I can’t vouch for the taste difference, but the recipe will absolutely work without butter. Worst case scenario you can add it in at the end if you think it needs a little something extra or try adding extra herbs or even a little extra cheese instead. It’s super versatile so I’d highly suggest giving it a go! xo

I made this for dinner last night… my husband and I absolutely loved it! I used chicken stock instead of vegetable broth and also used red skinned potatoes instead of the russet and left the skin on. I used a little extra dill weed, too. The soup smelled great from the moment I began chopping and putting the vegetables in the crockpot. The taste was just heavenly! Thank you for sharing this fabulous recipe! :)

24. Maria says

This is just what I was looking for! I do have a question-do you add the cheeses, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and dill at the beginning/before cooking or after you smash the potatoes after 8 hours on low? I’m planning on making this tomorrow and I’m not sure when you added those ingredients. Thanks! :)

• says

Hi Maria! I actually added the cheeses and seasoning towards the end of the cooking process so I could measure the amounts for the recipe development but you can certainly season beforehand! I’d probably suggest to leave the cheese until the very end so that it doesn’t change texture [some cheeses will] and then at the very end you can taste and add any additional seasonigs to taste! Hope this helps and that you love the soup! <3 xoxo

25. Samantha D says

I cooked this on the stove top and added another three cups of water on top of it. I also used vegan butter and no parm cheese. Then I added some nutritional yeast and lentils for some added goodness. I also added some unsweetened original almond milk for added creaminess. Thanks for a great start to a great vegan soup!

Nope! Stove-top that baby! =) I have always just tossed it in my slow cooker so I’m not sure on times and technique but it’s absolutely possible. Just make sure it doesn’t stick and burn on the bottom and you should be good to go! Ooh! And use a laaaaarge pot or halve the recipe possibly… it makes a LOT of soup! [Just how I like it!] Let me know how it goes! xoxo

27. amber says

just made two batches! after the first one, we needed more because it was so good. I added vegan bacon crumbles and the kids loved it, it turned out soo well! thank you, this is the first vegetarian soup that my meat-eating little bro actually ate! and this has definitely one its place in my top recipes list.

You just made my night! =) I’m so glad everyone loved it and that it worked on the stove-top without fuss! How long did it end up taking to cook? I’d love to hear what you did so If I break another slow cooker I’m not stranded! lol

29. Potato says

Do you let the potatoes sit in the pot for the four hours and let them slowly cook before you mash them?

30. amber says

I just boiled the potatoes, celery, and onion in a pot until the potatoes became mushy, but I had to add a significant amount of extra water. All together including prep it took about an hour and a half :D my family went crazy, my mom took the rest of it home and my husband wants to make it a staple dinner. :D

31. Allyson says

My friend recommended I try this recipe out because I had some left over potatoes, and I have been prepping and freezing soups for after my c-section tomorrow…Well, I made this last night and it is seriously the best potato soup I have ever had, hands down! It’s better than any potato soup I have encountered at any restaurant, and at this point, I would call myself a pro-potato souper. Thanks so much for sharing this!