Spicy Cayenne Kale Chips

Yesterday’s kale chips have been on my mind all day today.  I made another batch of honey mustard after breakfast and then after lunch I decided to tinker around with the rest of the kale to make some SPIIIICY chips.  These might be my favorite to date!  The savory garlic powder and zesty cayenne stand up to the slightly bitter taste of the kale to make it taste more like snack food than a vegetable.  There are a million ways to season these guys and it’s no wonder they’re trending as a healthy snack!  If you haven’t tried them yet this is a great starting off point — plus, you can totally dip them in a little ranch/veggie dip/french onion dip if your nervous — after the initial shock of what you’re eating in chip form wears off, you’ll be tossing these back like a champ ;)

Ooh!  Totally steal a glance at the middle photo below — that’s my foolproof method for getting crispy kale chips.  Wire cooling rack on top, foil-lined baking pan on the bottom.  The only way they won’t come out crispy using this method, is if you drown your kale in olive oil or sauce.  Spray oil like misto or my trusty can of grape seed oil come in handy here.

Spicy + Salty Cayenne Kale Chips
first, preheat your oven to 300F
grab a chunk of kale the size of your face + rinse to clean + dry thoroughly
tear pieces of kale off their stem/ribs into the size of potato chips
lay, spaced, on a wire cooling rack and place atop a foil lined cookie sheet
[if you’re making a boatload of kale, make two sheets/batchs so they cook evenly! <3]
spritz with a natural cooking spray
sprinkle with salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper
bake on the center rack for approx. 18-20 minutes until edges are crispy

They’re light, crunchy, and as spicy as you want them to be!
Plus garlic powder, onion powder + cayenne? <–nothing short of magical together <3

still hungry?
Vegetarian Chili BurgerSummery Chickpea & Pepper Salad Garlicky Kale Salad with Smoky Chipotle Dressing

Comments

1. Juicygirlblogger says

for some reason kale scares me to eat because it reminds me of SEAWEEED!! However i see people eating it and it looks deliciously crunchy!

and if you’re adding spice to them, welll sheeesh now I just have to try them! where do you even buy kale!?!?

xoxox

Ericaaaaa schmerica! Love you girl! So I think you need to be my official tester of this recipe. Whatcha think?

What stores do you have around you? Harris Teeter carries it and usually sources it locally from farms nearby, Food Lion has it and so should Bloom stores… Whole Foods, Trader Joes… and possibly any other store near you! Text me next time you go shopping and i’ll talk you into it =) the cayenne rocks it! I bet you could even trick kurt into trying a piece. Though bribes might be needed for the first bite =)

3. Viviane Bauquet Farre says

Oh! The crunchy vegginess of kale combined with a little bit of heat? Yes please! Who doesn´t love to snack on kale chips – they´re just so simple, satisfying, and healthy. You have wonderfuly food photography skills.

Ohmygosh Viviane that made my day! Thank you so so much! My goal this year is to learn more about photography and since I stopped using my camera on Auto it’s been so much fun tinkering around and learning! Hope you have a lovely day!

I heard the misto brand ones are really good! I need to hunt one down — Right now i’m using an organic can of grape seed oil which works really flipping well but still bugs me a teeny bit for the whole can situation.

The other day at the grocery store, the checkout girl saw me buying kale and was like “Ummm is this kale? What on earth do you use it for?” Next time I see her, I’ll tell her to come here. Your kale chip recipes look amazing!

ooh you must be a pro! everyone I’ve ever talked to either has issues with soggy limp bits in the middle (ummm…. TWSS? bahaha!) or the chips partially burning to a crisp — well unless they’re using a dehydrator with is a luxury I don’t have room for. eep! Do you use one?

Nope – no dehydrator for me. I just check on them and take out the ones that are crisp and let the others keep cooking a bit longer. I guess I’m just a natural with Kale – I am a little obsessed with it after all. :)

9. Adrianne Silver says

These look so good! I’ve been thinking about kale chips the last few days, since I have some in my fridge (it’s so cheap at the store right now! Love it). I love them with a little nutritional yeast for that cheesy taste, I bet it’d go well with your toppings! Yum :)

Ahhh thank you for posting a kale chip recipe that doesn’t require a dehydrator! I found one other recipe before but it recommended a very short cooking time at a very high temperature (450) and they got so crispy they just fell apart, so you couldn’t really eat them. Can’t wait to try it this way!

11. Kristileab says

I hear that Kale is easy to grow so I wanted to plant some in my garden but I didn’t know how to use it. This sounds like a great place to start. Thanks!

12. Sunnydaysandstarrynights says

I have been considering trying to make kale chips.  I need to get some more healthy greens into this vegetarian’s diet.

13. Sloane @ My Life in Florida says

I love Kale Chips and I haven’t made this in forever!! I will have to make them with the spice. Maybe then my fiance will like them. He likes anything spicy.

I am soooooo glad you posted this recipe! I just happened by your blog this AM, and what do ya know? I bought kale last night hoping to find a recipe for kale chips. Perfect! :)

I have always wanted to make my own Kale Chips and I just happen to have a bunch of purple kale the size of my face :) in the fridge just begging to be made into spicy kale chips!

You’re a kale chip genius, Jenn! I’ve burned SO many batches because I like them super crispy. But I don’t like eating charcoal, and that’s what I end up with 99% of the time. Haha! I’m going to try the cooling rack strategy this weekend!

Love you!! Btw, any updates about your trip to DC? Can’t waaaait!!

I should have updates soon! 2nd week in march? like the weekend before st pattys and 1/2 that week? ahhh im so excited!!!!!!!!

def try the cooling rack and, if your oven is a super powerful one, maybe even move the chips to a higher rack in the oven and check them at the 15 minute mark, then again at 18-20 minutes. mine come out super super crispy without the char so i’m hoping that helps yours come out yummy too!!! <3 love ya girly girl! email me your # when you get a chance so we can plan!

I need to play around with making different Kale chips. I just stick with garlic salt since we love them but I am going to get more creative next time around. I also want to try them in a dehydrater sometime because I often overcook mine and they burn a little.

19. Shaina Wizov says

Hey! Great to find another Florida food blog :) I just bought kale for the first time and have been looking for different ideas how to cook it! I will try this out :)

20. Gastrospoon says

Very cool and cute blog! I am addicted to kale so will definitely be trying this recipe.  Try frying it with some light soy sauce, won’t be as crispy but the taste is immense!

Made these yesterday but with Swiss chard instead of kale (because it was what I had). They were SO good. Thankfully since i may have used more cayenne than necessary, a lot of them were too spicy for my kids. So I got to eat most of them. :) Thanks for the recipe. I’m going to try with kale ASAP.

Soo the BF was a little skeptical (but even he had to admit these were good after taking a bite!) The wire rack makes all the difference!! It made all my chips perfect instead of just a random patch around one side :) Seriously such a great tip, thank you!!