Sapporo Seared Scallops & Spicy Kani Salad
- 3-4 large, fresh sea scallops
- 4 oz imitation crab or your favorite crab meat [skip canned]
- 1 TBSP green onions, chopped
- 2 TBSP panko bread crumbs
- 1-2 TBSP oil
- S+P to taste
- High quality scallops will make all the difference in this dish. Skip the freezer aisle and seek out a reputable seafood source in your area. Sometimes that will be a local seafood market or even a go-to grocery store with great service and seafood.
- Creamy Sriracha Sauce [aka "spicy mayo"] ::
- Simply mix mayo, vegan mayo, or plain yogurt with a few drops sriracha chili sauce. Taste as you go to get your perfect level of heat -- I like mine a little fiery!
- First make your sriracha sauce and set aside.
- Next shred your crab or imitation crab to make the base of your salad.
- Top with your spicy "dressing" and chopped green onions.
- Then it's time for the scallops! <3 They'll cook FAST, making this a quick and easy appetizer, lunch, dinner or side dish!
- Pat scallops dry, season with a little salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat a stainless steel pan/skillet with a few tablespoons of oil and wait for it to get hot before adding your scallops.
- If you're cooking more than just a few at a time, grab a larger pan and more oil, so you can space them out and give them room to sizzle!
- Once your pan is ready, add the scallops and sear for about 2-3 minutes on each side until golden and opaque in the middle. Overcooking will be your worst enemy here so keep an eye on them -- the second side will most likely cook a teeny bit faster than the first so check it after a minute or so.
- If you want to simply cook plain scallops with a buttery wine sauce then check out this recipe. Paul likes it that way but I don't (the butter sauce is too rich for me) -- I prefer them with sriracha sauce!
- Top your crab salad with the freshly seared scallops, sprinkle with some panko breadcrumbs [I love the crunch they give to the dish!] and dig in!
So… How was it?
Whether you’re making this as an appetizer or a main course, it’s sure to bring a little fun to the table and your tastebuds! Texture is everything in this house so the combination of warm, tender scallops with the bite of zesty raw green onions, crispy panko, and creamy crab just overall rocks my socks. I’ve always adored ordering seared scallops and crab salads from Japanese restaurants so the combination of these two treats was long overdue in this kitchen! I loooove eating this as a light ‘n fancy lunch or a fun dinner alongside some handmade veggie sushi rolls. Don’t let the length of this post fool you: this dish can be whipped up in a matter of minutes!
I should also mention that Paul had a hand in this recipe. He’s really nosy bossy good about hopping into the kitchen to help me when I’m multi-tasking. He’s also probably reading this… so let me mention that every time I tried to do anything to the scallops he took them away from me. So yes, Paul cooked the scallops. Yes, they were the epitome of perfection…. and yes, I really want another plate of these. Like now.
Oh and if he can sear these babies without charring the life out of them, you totally can too!
Sorry Paul… but you know exactly what you do when you try to cook eggs!
Ohmygosh and TOTALLY check out my Sriracha Glazed Scallops — I came up with them after posting this recipe and fell madly in love!