Perfect Seared Scallops & Spicy Kani Salad

Two of my absolute favorite dishes to order at Japanese restaurants are zesty crab salads and sapporo scallops.  Though it differs from restaurant to restaurant, they’re always absolutely beautiful and full of flavor.  Bright orange sriracha sauce over shredded imitation crab “noodles” with vibrant green scallions and giant scallops seared to perfection… If I see them on the menu I almost have to order them!  Since moving to the middle of nowhere; however, they are a total rarity.  Unless of course I make them at home!
seared sapporo scallops and kani crab salad japanese appetizer
Sapporo Seared Scallops &
Spicy Kani Salad
What’s in it?
3-4 large, fresh sea scallops
4 oz imitation crab or your favorite crab meat [not canned]
1 Tbsp green onions, chopped
2 Tbsp panko bread crumbs
1-2 Tbsp oil
S+P
High quality scallops will make all the difference in this dish.  Skip the freezer aisle and seek out a reputable seafood source in your area.  Sometimes that will be a local seafood market or even a go-to grocery store like Whole Foods, Fresh Market, or Publix.
Creamy Sriracha Sauce [aka "spicy mayo"]
Simply mix mayo, vegan mayo, or plain yogurt with a few drops sriracha chili sauce.  taste as you go to get your perfect level of heat — I like mine a little fiery!

If you’re making this for two, simply pick up a few extra scallops and double the recipe <3
perfect seared sea scallops with parsley butter wine glaze sauce
Get Cooking!
First make your sauce: simply mix mayo, vegan mayo, or plain yogurt with a few drops sriracha chili sauce.  taste as you go to get your perfect level of heat — I like mine a little fiery!  Next you’ll want to shred your crab or imitation crab to make the base of your salad.  Top with your spicy “dressing” and chopped green onions.  Then it’s time for the scallops! <3 They’ll cook FAST, making this a quick and easy appetizer, lunch, dinner or side dish!
Pat scallops dry, season with a little salt and pepper and set aside.  Heat a stainless steel pan/skillet with a few tablespoons of oil and wait for it to get hot before adding your scallops.  If you’re cooking more than just a few at a time, grab a larger pan and more oil, so you can space them out and give them room to sizzle!  Once your pan is ready, add the scallops and sear for about 2-3 minutes on each side until golden and opaque in the middle. Overcooking will be your worst enemy here so keep an eye on them — the second side will most likely cook a teeny bit faster than the first so check it after a minute or so.  If you want to simply cook plain scallops with a buttery wine sauce then check out this recipe.  Paul likes it that way but I don’t (the butter sauce is too rich for me) — I prefer them with Sriracha =)
Top your crab salad with the freshly seared scallops, sprinkle with some panko breadcrumbs [I love the crunch they give to the dish!] and dig in!
seared sea scallops green onion sriracha crab salad restaurant recreation
So… How was it?
Whether you’re making this as an appetizer or a main course, it’s sure to bring a little fun to the table and your tastebuds!  Texture is everything in this house so the combination of warm, tender scallops with the bite of zesty raw green onions, crispy panko, and creamy crab just overall rocks my socks.  I’ve always adored ordering seared scallops and crab salads from Japanese restaurants so the combination of these two treats was long overdue in this kitchen!  I loooove eating this as a light ‘n fancy lunch or a fun dinner alongside some handmade veggie sushi rolls.  Don’t let the length of this post fool you:  this dish can be whipped up in a matter of minutes!
I should also mention that Paul had a hand in this recipe.  He’s really nosy bossy good about hopping into the kitchen to help me when I’m multi-tasking.  He’s also probably reading this… so let me mention that every time I tried to do anything to the scallops he took them away from me.  So yes, Paul cooked the scallops.  Yes, they were the epitome of perfection…. and yes, I really want another plate of these.  Like now.
Oh and if he can sear these babies without charring the life out of them, you totally can too!
Sorry Paul… but you know exactly what you do to our eggs =)
Have you ever seared scallops before?  It’s surprisingly easy!

Ohmygosh and TOTALLY check out my Sriracha Glazed Scallops – I came up with them after posting this recipe and fell madly in love!

Comments

1. kschwarting says

This looks like the bomb!  I make seared scallops often, but always with about two sauces.  This would be a totally different flavor combination, and I’m bookmarking it to try next time.

2. Nora Spaulding says

this looks amazing, although I do not care for spicy things, I’ll have to try it for myself since my hubbs is not a seafood fan :) YUM! thanks for sharing!

I think it was 12-15 dollars for 8 super large scallops — but they were wild/caught in the USA and huge and really really really good so it was totally worth it to me! so satisfying! Ours were from Whole Foods but local places might charge less? I think its worth it for a treat =)

4. Robyn :) says

This sounds absolutely delicious!!

Here in Kansas the best places to get seafood is either Dillons or Hyvee.  Or Whole Foods, but that is 2 hours away and requires a cooler lol.

I have never seared a scallop or even bought any to cook myself.

5. Sloane @ My Life in Florida says

This looks amazing! I know what we are having for dinner tomorrow! And the key to seared scallops that isn’t over cooked is a hot pan :)  Yours really look fantastic

6. Sloane @ My Life in Florida says

Oh yes you did! First time I made them, my pan wasn’t hot enough and I over cooked them (understatement). It is depressing to over cook something that can be so expensive.

phew! I always worry that I leave something out in my excitement to type it up! lol

Its so hard to see that much money go down the drain- totally agree! I also learned the hard way that frozen is a ginormous waste of money when it comes to scallops. They must inject them with something to puff them up b/c they either overcook or turn to mush. Hot mess!

8. Lizmariegalvan says

I’m sitting here admiring all your pics.. yummm! You are one talented little momma. Ummm I am trying to get a hold of you.. But I broke my iphone this week & just got a new one {otter box is staying on this time!!} but now I don’t have your number. I couldn’t message you on facebook for some reason… ahh this is so complicated! email me your number :) That will work! lizmariegalvan@gmail.com :) talk to you soon!!!!

9. Lacy @ NYCityEats says

Wow this sounds incredible! I’ve never had either and I have to try this out immediately! I’m obsessed with crab meat and I love a good scallop and the panko sprinled on top is such a great idea! Love this!

Yay!!!!! I’m making them again tonight — scallops were on sale at the store yesterday! So excited that you made them AND liked them! Best news I’ve heard all day.

Though the plumber telling me my toilet is no longer possessed was fairly good news too =) I tried to flush eyeshadow and it almost flooded yesterday — true story! haha

Thanks Betty!

I’m planning out my meals for next week — where does the Sapporo part come in? I see a brown sauce in the second scallop photo, but the other photos don’t have that. Help!

Hey Melissa!!! I probably should have clarified that I named them after the dish from my favorite Sushi restaruant back home — there actually isn’t any sapporo in them.  Of course now I realize how ridiculously misleading that could be!  Sorry for my goof!

There’s a link to the brown sauce from another blogger in this post but I loathed it.  Instead I made my own sriracha sauce that I think you’ll love [it's a big hit around here! yay!]  Here’s the link:  http://www.peasandcrayons.com/2012/02/deglazing-with-sriracha.html

I’m going to try to email ya too just in case you don’t get this comment!  So excited for you to try this dish! xoxo