Food-polar disorder PSA + Homemade Veggie Cream Cheese

I’ve decided I suffer from Food-polar disorder.  If such a condition did indeed exist it would be defined as the extreme inability to choose between similar foods, in fear that you may need both in the immediate future.  Dining at restaurants becomes difficult when you see all the drool-worthy choices on the menu, but realize you have to limit yourself to a single meal. Panic sets in and you not-so-secretly hope everyone else at the table orders your 2nd… 3rd… and 4th menu choices so that you can steak bites off their plate while their backs are turned.  You can easily imagine how this condition worsens in the grocery store ;)  Especially when the fuzzy little angel on your shoulder informs you that you simply mustn’t buy every type of cheese/bread/lettuce the store carries while the fiery friend on your other shoulder insists you need them all.
This post started as a joke but i’m starting to think this really is an actual condition!  Back in college, when I  barely owned a proper knife let alone a food processor, my “disability” was much worse.  Did I really need to purchase carrots pre-cut into shreds, chips, and sticks?  Yes, yes I did.
But thankfully the first thing I bought myself post-college was a food processor.  I’m certain it cost no more than $19 and should have died ages ago.  But it’s alive and, subsequently, very influential in helping me beat my food-polar disorder ;)  I no longer have to buy vegetables cut into every shape imaginable, I can simply do it myself on the weekend and enjoy all week-long.  Also, I no longer have to panic in the cream cheese aisle when I realize I want plain AND veggie, b/c who knows what i’ll be craving by the time my bagel pops up from the toaster.  Pshhh… I’ll just make it myself!
homemade veggie vegetable whipped cream cheese spread
Homemade Veggie Cream Cheese
Whats in it?
4oz cream cheese [whipped or regular]
4 tablespoons of shredded radish and carrots [red onion + celery work too!]
2 tablespoons of chopped [or snipped! - grab your scissors!] green onions
a pinch of garlic powder, onion powder, and salt + pepper, to taste
Vegansaurus Chefs swap out the cream cheese for your favorite vegan variety!
Get Shredding!
dust off your food processor and give it some much-needed attention!  Shred a handful of raw radish and carrots.  Squeeze out excess moisture in a paper towel and add 4 tablespoons of veggies to 4 ounces of cream cheese.  I made a big batch of the shredded veg for salads and then simply spooned out what I needed to make my cream cheese.  Double the uses for 1/2 the effort! =)  Next add as many chopped green onions as your heart desires. I added about 2 tablespoons or so.  Season with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper and taste as you go.  Now grab something to spread it on and dig in!  This should keep, covered, in the fridge for 4 days and tastes equally awesome the following day.  Spread it on crackers, bagels, and especially veggie loaded sandwiches and wraps!
vegetable veggie cream cheese spread
So what do you think about Food-polar disorder?  Are you ready to check me into an institution or do you also get overwhelmed [and excited!] when you have a variety of food-related decisions to make?  Look in your pantry – do you have every pasta shape available?  a fridge full of 5 different cheeses?  more than one type of bread on your counter?  Haha humor me! <3

Comments

I so rarely use that shredding disc on my food processor, but when I need it – it’s awesome! I’m getting better at not buying  a little of everything, but I have no less than 6 types of flour in the pantry right now – who needs 6 types of flour? I’ve been cut-off from buying any more varieties until we use what we have now. :)

Honestly, I think I have that too…and I am not just saying.  The restaurant situation will leave me in cold sweats!  My husband knows by now that I am the number one influence on what he orders, not his stomach.

Now that you mention it… I actually do have 5 types of cheese in the fridge, 3 types of bread, 6 different shapes of pasta.  Since Heather mentioned flour, I decided to go check that out too… Sorgum.  Rice.  Sweet Rice. Gluten free all purpose. Quinoa.  Potato.  All-Purpose.  Whole wheat. Almond. & Cake Flour.  That’s 11! I can’t even bake *sigh*
    Looks like we’ll be checking in together!

4. Meg Zuehl says

That is hilarious! I definitely suffer from this disorder and get very overwhelmed by too many food choices. Luckily my husband always orders the tasty/unhealthy option so I get bites of the good stuff while being able to order something a little less damaging on the waistline!

I completely understand what you’re saying! I used my cheese grater for the first time this weekend, for sweet potatoes! I made hash browns and they were delish! They cooked up quickly, but I would like them a little crispier next time. It is amazing what  you can do when you think outside the box a bit :)

I totally relate to this food-polar disorder you speak of. Sticking to a grocery budget is near impossible for me. I have coconut milk, almond milk, rice milk and dairy milk – brown rice pasta, whole what pasta and regular old shell pasta (for Derek!)  – whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, chickpea flour, coconut flour, spelt flour, buckwheat flour and almond flour – I don’t buy this stuff because I have a recipe in mind. I just feel like I might need it if I see a recipe that calls for it :-)

7. nicoleandgwendolyn says

hahahaha!  Food-Polar disorder sounds like a clinical condition that the DSM V should consider.  You can read about my thoughts on the DSM and the bogus-ness of their currently listed eating disorder of EDNOS in my article entitled, I Have Homosexuality.  Enjoy, and your feedback will be appreciated!

And fabulous recipe!!!  It’s in my foreseeable future, using tofutti, of course.

I Have Homosexuality.

Haha I totally believe that this disorder exists – and I most definitely have it! :P I think I have almost every type of grain in my pantry… bulgur, oats, millet, rice, couscous, wheatberries, you name it! And I always want to buy every kind of cheese at the grocery store, but I have to always remind myself that there’s no way I could eat them all by myself before they go moldy. I think they should sell boxes containing samples of different cheeses for people like us! ;)

hahahaha that’s so funny now that you mention it I do have 7 types of cheeses in my fridge not to mention that last week I almost forced my mom to buy me almost everytipe of pasta they had in the grocery store. Regarding the restaurant menu problem I always share with my sister or mom we often have the same problem and with this we can order 3 different meals and share them

If you’re getting checked in, I’ll be your roomie! The 8 OPENED jars of nut butter, 5 different types of pasta, and the 10 varieties of flour (both gluten-free and regular) will serve as my admission of guilt. And I confess…I have been known to influence my fellow diner’s decision on what to pick from the menu just to benefit me and my food polar tendencies! ;)

Love the veggie cream cheese…why have I never thought to do this myself? Brilliant!

I can totally relate! At the moment, I have three different kinds of lentils (red, green, and black) and at least six different kinds of grains (brown rice, white rice, millet, quinoa, 7-grain mix, oatmeal) in my pantry. Just can’t decide and need them all!

You’re definitely the only one with this condition! Being a poor college student I am FORCED by my budget to limit myself in what I buy, but needless to say grocery shopping is always an hour long affair.
    Love the recipie, it looks great!

Okay – this was a FUN read!  ….and a terrific recipe!  I understand how the food-polar thingy can happen!  The first time I went into Whole Foods, I spent $96 on CHEESE!  That’s it….just cheese!  ….and I shop from a list nearly 100% of the time!  I walked out with a BAG of cheese and thought, “Huh?  What just happened here?”

I absolutely have the same disorder; even with a list I end up leaving with a whole lot more than I anticipated; yeah that food grocery budget, thats never going to happen :)

You’re lucky I had *just* put my water down b/c i’m sure i would have spit out out laughing!

You must ask your current healthcare provider if food processors are right for you. Side effects may include temporary insanity, chills, screams of joy, and screams of fear when you realize you hit blend when the lid wasn’t on. Food processors are not responsible for cleaning up after themselves, so you may want to take it alongside a dishwasher.

love your face off